There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

No need to panic: 49ers will be fine

Originally posted by sfout:
sound post but here is my response to this

1. Defense was lights out but if they don't learn to tackle we'll lose the next 3 games. The saints, washington, and seattle all have shifty backs and power backs that will be hard to tackle and after watching 3 or more of our best defenders whiff on DeAngelo Williams huge run I am not encouraged about our prospects.

2. Agreed, run game was great. Gore was amazing, Hunter's fumble was done by textbook tackle that dislodged the ball with his helmet but he was carrying the ball loosely in 1 arm rather than clutching it. Gotta coach that out of him.

3. Luck is luck and it didn't go our way but it was close enough that better coaching would've made the difference.

4. Osgood being inactive was massive mistake especially since I don't recall seeing Baldwin on the field and Williams barely saw action.

5. Why isn't LMJ handling KRs as well? Dixon a player that runs a high 4.6 returning kicks is kind of bas-ackwards, especially when the kicks routinely reach 7 yards deep.

6. Thank god LMJ's returns showed promise again. Williams should never see the field again on ST.

7. Asking the Seahawks to lose to anyone besides New Orleans, which is in Seattle, for the rest of the season is highly unlikely. Vikings, Cardinals and Rams, are also in Seattle. With only us and the Giants as away games. While we play NO, Washington, Tampa, and Arizona away with the Rams, Seattle, and Atlanta at home. 3 of those games are incredibly possible to lose, and after the last 2 years we can't discount the Rams or Cardinals.

I like the hope but the odds of us catching Seattle are so slim they are probably non-existent.

I really only remember one play where our tackling was suspect and that was a CB against a big back with a full head of steam. That was a great play call if you ask me by the Panthers.

I agree with you on #'s2-6 completely.

Any given Sunday, I just don't think Seattle will keep finding ways to win and getting every ball to bounce their way like they have this season. They could easily have 4 losses this year. Obviously we have to beat them 12/8 and I refuse to believe they win every single other game.
Originally posted by sfout:
3. Luck is luck and it didn't go our way but it was close enough that better coaching would've made the difference.

Surely you're kidding right? Luck didn't go our way? Is Steve Smith dropping a huge third down catch in 49ers territory that he had dead to rights luck? Is Tremaine Brock catching an interception and returning it 42 yards luck? Is getting your punt blocked but somehow recovering it for a 20 yard gain luck? Is Vernon Davis fumbling the call but somehow getting called an incompletion even after review luck? Kaepernick and the offense had ALL the luck they needed but managed to spit in the face of the football gods and find a way to lose anyways.
[ Edited by biggiep on Nov 10, 2013 at 7:57 PM ]
Personally I'm not panicking. I'm just calling a s**t offense s**tty. It's on everybody at this point except Gore.
We change our offensive game plan depending on the opponent. When we play teams like the Saints we open up the offense because we know we need to score. Against teams like the Panthers and Colts we try to run the ball and call conservative passing plays. We play a not to lose brand of offense. Today's loss was simply pathetic. To hold Carolina to 10 points at the stick and lose is simply on the coaching staff. Anyone thinking we're going to win 3 road playoff games with this offensive philosophy is simply kidding themselves.
Originally posted by biggiep:
I've been making excuses for Kaepernick throughout this entire season to anyone who asked. His passing yards are down because all they've needed to do is run! His receivers are terrible! Etc. etc.

This game is the straw that breaks the camel's back. The fact is Kaepernick hasn't done anything for this team since Week 1. Have we really been crying that Kaep hasn't had Boldin, Davis, Crabtree AND Manningham all to throw to? When people like Brees and Brady can turn no-name receivers into stars? To make it seem like Kaep can only be expected to succeed if he has a 1000 yd receiver as his third receiving target is making it too easy.

Kaep really needed to step up this game and he failed with SO MANY chances. All the defense needed him to do was score 3 points in the second half and he couldn't do it. Even career backups like Tolzein, Hoyer, Thad Lewis can get more than 91 passing yards. Kaep looks like a deer in headlights under any kind of pressure and the dude is just not ready to start. The team should've opened their wallets bigger for Peyton Manning and let Kaep back him up for a few years. The team is built to win NOW and does not have time to screw around and wait for Kaepernick to grow up.

Yeah, Brady and Brees do that all on their own, its not like they have brilliant talented offensive minds that call a very competent and explosive passing offense and scheme to get guys open.

Put Roman in New Orleans, bring Payton to the 49ers and I guarantee that neither QB looks like the same player. Scheme plays a huge role in it and this team's BS conservative passing schemes don't work in the NFL, plain and simple. Let me correct that, they work against inferior defenses, they don't work against top defenses such as Seattle, Carolina and others. This is hardly just a Kaepernick issue, I saw these same things pop up when Alex was the QB, the same irregular playcalling, the lack of in-game offensive adjustments, the inability to target a defense's weaknesses with precision, this is nothing new.

Get rid of Kaepernick, bring in another QB, the offense won't change one damn bit. Just as like this coaching staff wasn't able to properly utilize Ted Ginn but Carolina was, I guarantee Kaepernick would be a far better player on another team with more cohesive offensive playcalling.

This is the worst, most putrid offensive playcalling I've seen since Jim Hostler, it is getting to the point where perhaps the 49ers should call up someone like Ted Tollner and have him sit up in the booth with Roman, because nothing about the passing offense reminds me of an NFL offense in anyway.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM ]
Originally posted by matt49er:
Understanding our record against winning teams and how badly this team, especially the offense has looked in the 3 losses, panic isn't something that the 49ers nor their fans need to do after today's loss.

First it was a tough loss yes, but a one point loss in which the defense played very well, giving up just 2 scores for 10 total points. All this with Aldon playing just 11 snaps, Ray Mac missing the entire second half, Skuta missing some time and Reid going down with an injury. This IS one of the best defenses in the NFL and they will be there all season long. Reid will comeback, hopefully Ray Mac won't miss anymore time and Tank/Wright are coming.

Second: The run game is fine, Hunter's fumble was ugly but Gore looked good today for the most part. The passing game was terrible but let's look at the facts. The Panthers have one of the best front 7's in football, Kaep didn't get much time at all and hardly any room to run all game. Manningham was rusty in his first game back, sure he made a couple plays but he also dropped 2 balls. VD missed most of the game and outside of Gore, he's the most important player on this roster and Crabtree isn't back yet, he's going to make a HUGE difference. We still aren't at full strength offensively.

Lastly: The ball just didn't bounce our way today's boys. If Vance catches that deep ball, we get at least a FG and win this game. On that same drive that penalty on Boldin after Mario's catch killed us. We almost came up with a big fumble recovery on Carolina's last drive, we get that, we get way more time and much better field position to try and take the lead and ultimately win the game.

I'm betting the coaching staff learned their lesson on a couple of mishaps on ST's. One, I'd be willing to place money that Osgood won't be inactive anymore this year, we missed him on our coverage units. LMJ did a good job with the PR duties, Dixon made an idiotic decision to take it out of the EZ and looked a little slow, I'm also betting LMJ is back on KR duties next week.

Last season the team couldn't win more than 2 games in a row and we thought that was going to doom us. Come playoff time we came back against 2 good teams and went to the Super Bowl and within 5 yards of winning our 6th trophy. Do we have problems? Sure, every team does. Are we perfect? No, but we have 7 games left boys. The re-reinforcements Aldon, Mario, Wright, Tank just got here, Moody is on his way and after him Crabs will be back. I still believe we haven't played our best football yet, especially on offense. The NFL season is a long marathon, not a 40 yard dash. We're 2.5 games behind Seattle, we win week 12 that makes up the 1/2 game, we beat them at home that's another game, I refuse to believe Seattle won't lose one or two other games this season. We can still win this division and we are a Superbowl contender with one of the best rosters in football that is still not a full strength.

Have faith 49er fans!

i hear what your saying but frankly you sound like kevin bacon in animal house trying to quell the crowd at the parade
We'll pound the Saints next week. Mark my words.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
LOL, we have NO OFFENSE. Seattle is going to run away with the division, and Carolina will take the wildcard.

The good news, we should be good to compete again next year if Kap can figure out how to throw or we replace him with someone better.

There are very deep problems with our offense that we don't seem to be able to solve. Look at the GB game. We came out passing like the Saints and it all happens through one guy, Boldin. Then it all came apart against the Seahawks and the Colts. They figured out how to stop our passing attack, which isn't to difficult. Then we go back into this power running approach at the opposite end of the spectrum and bowl over some weak teams. Then here comes Carolina that stops our power running game cold and while bringing pressure with 4 and we're toast. We don't have a ball control passing game. We can't force teams out of 8-9 people boxes. We can't integrate other WR into the office. We can't get production out of a guy like James who could give us another whole dimension. This stuff is coaching as much as anything. The problems are deeper than most think.
Originally posted by barrymartin:
There are very deep problems with our offense that we don't seem to be able to solve. Look at the GB game. We came out passing like the Saints and it all happens through one guy, Boldin. Then it all came apart against the Seahawks and the Colts. They figured out how to stop our passing attack, which isn't to difficult. Then we go back into this power running approach at the opposite end of the spectrum and bowl over some weak teams. Then here comes Carolina that stops our power running game cold and while bringing pressure with 4 and we're toast. We don't have a ball control passing game. We can't force teams out of 8-9 people boxes. We can't integrate other WR into the office. We can't get production out of a guy like James who could give us another whole dimension. This stuff is coaching as much as anything. The problems are deeper than most think.

But they really didn't, Gore had 12 carries for 61 yards in the 1st half....in the 2nd half......4 carries total. They inexplicably got away from the run yet again.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I've been making excuses for Kaepernick throughout this entire season to anyone who asked. His passing yards are down because all they've needed to do is run! His receivers are terrible! Etc. etc.

This game is the straw that breaks the camel's back. The fact is Kaepernick hasn't done anything for this team since Week 1. Have we really been crying that Kaep hasn't had Boldin, Davis, Crabtree AND Manningham all to throw to? When people like Brees and Brady can turn no-name receivers into stars? To make it seem like Kaep can only be expected to succeed if he has a 1000 yd receiver as his third receiving target is making it too easy.

Kaep really needed to step up this game and he failed with SO MANY chances. All the defense needed him to do was score 3 points in the second half and he couldn't do it. Even career backups like Tolzein, Hoyer, Thad Lewis can get more than 91 passing yards. Kaep looks like a deer in headlights under any kind of pressure and the dude is just not ready to start. The team should've opened their wallets bigger for Peyton Manning and let Kaep back him up for a few years. The team is built to win NOW and does not have time to screw around and wait for Kaepernick to grow up.

Yeah, Brady and Brees do that all on their own, its not like they have brilliant talented offensive minds that call a very competent and explosive passing offense and scheme to get guys open.

Put Roman in New Orleans, bring Payton to the 49ers and I guarantee that neither QB looks like the same player. Scheme plays a huge role in it and this team's BS conservative passing schemes don't work in the NFL, plain and simple. Let me correct that, they work against inferior defenses, they don't work against top defenses such as Seattle, Carolina and others. This is hardly just a Kaepernick issue, I saw these same things pop up when Alex was the QB, the same irregular playcalling, the lack of in-game offensive adjustments, the inability to target a defense's weaknesses with precision, this is nothing new.

Get rid of Kaepernick, bring in another QB, the offense won't change one damn bit. Just as like this coaching staff wasn't able to properly utilize Ted Ginn but Carolina was, I guarantee Kaepernick would be a far better player on another team with more cohesive offensive playcalling.

This is the worst, most putrid offensive playcalling I've seen since Jim Hostler, it is getting to the point where perhaps the 49ers should call up someone like Ted Tollner and have him sit up in the booth with Roman, because nothing about the passing offense reminds me of an NFL offense in anyway.

Agreed. Roman just can't do the basics to be an OC in the NFL.
But they really didn't, Gore had 12 carries for 61 yards in the 1st half....in the 2nd half......4 carries total. They inexplicably got away from the run yet again.

Can't just look at the number of carries and make a conclusion dude. When there are all those penalties and sacks on first down, the ability to run is marginalized. It was simply ridiculous how many drives turned into 2nd and 15 after the first play.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:This is hardly just a Kaepernick issue, I saw these same things pop up when Alex was the QB, the same irregular playcalling, the lack of in-game offensive adjustments, the inability to target a defense's weaknesses with precision, this is nothing new......This is the worst, most putrid offensive playcalling I've seen since Jim Hostler, it is getting to the point where perhaps the 49ers should call up someone like Ted Tollner and have him sit up in the booth with Roman, because nothing about the passing offense reminds me of an NFL offense in anyway.
Lots of people making excuses in regards to Roman's "awful" playcalling, but no one seems to actually be able to point out actual examples. I'd really appreciate it if you could (not sarcasm), but before you do let me give you some: 6 sacks, 91 yards passing total. There were career backups today that threw more than 91 yards. Kaepernick took so many drive-killing sacks, but with his ungodly athleticism he could get away? He never throws the ball away when he obviously needs to. Lots of plays that people blamed Roman for were actually plays Kaepernick checked into at the line. Additionally, on several read option plays he chose the wrong option. That's the problem when you put those decisions in a QB's hands when they don't have the skills to make the right ones like Peyton Manning can at the line of scrimmage. So if you want to pin some blame on Roman, sure you can say he gives Kaepernick too much freedom in adjusting the play.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
What is pretty funny to me is that, if you asked people after the Colts loss how they would feel about a 6-3 record everybody woulda jumped all over it. But now, we're not even going to make the playoffs.

This board get too high and too low. I mean, I guess that's why we're fans, but if you just use your brain a bit and stop being so emotional you'll realize it's not so bad.

Let me give some more explanation as to where Kaepernick shoulders blame and maybe you can offer some Roman examples in return. Kaepernick has a really tough time handling blitzes, which has led to a lot of sacks busted pass plays. If you're getting blitzed, then you know there are guys out there in single coverage. At some point you need to make that quick throw once you hike the ball and catch the single defender off guard. At some point you need to trust Boldin or Manningham to nab that quick throw right before you get clobbered. Kaep never does it. All year, never has. Under any kind of pressure he just drops back one mile and starts running around like a headless chicken to either throw it away, make a futile incomplete pass, or get sacked. I have yet to see him make a quick throw into single coverage off a blitz and get intercepted for it, which means he isn't making these throws.

Why isn't he? Perhaps the play is poorly designed for them, or maybe it's just because he fails to read defenses and is caught off guard by blitzes. Why would I think this is more likely? How about we look at the fact that Kaep makes poor decisions on read options, such as keeping the ball that one play and getting clobbered immediately by Greg Hardy on a blitz instead of handing it off to Gore so he can slip right past the blitzer? This gets to the point where Kaep just starts running backwards immediately on every play out of the safe confines of the pocket and we've seen this so many times in the last several games. If I don't know when the blitz is coming, I might as well just stay "safe" and run away from everything!
I appreciate your optimism and I hope you're right but I just don't see it. Kaep has regressed far more than I ever thought he would. He can't go through a read progression to save his life. If we can't move the football against halfway decent defenses with anyone except Gore we're f**ked.

Can't just look at the number of carries and make a conclusion dude. When there are all those penalties and sacks on first down, the ability to run is marginalized. It was simply ridiculous how many drives turned into 2nd and 15 after the first play.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:This is hardly just a Kaepernick issue, I saw these same things pop up when Alex was the QB, the same irregular playcalling, the lack of in-game offensive adjustments, the inability to target a defense's weaknesses with precision, this is nothing new......This is the worst, most putrid offensive playcalling I've seen since Jim Hostler, it is getting to the point where perhaps the 49ers should call up someone like Ted Tollner and have him sit up in the booth with Roman, because nothing about the passing offense reminds me of an NFL offense in anyway.
Lots of people making excuses in regards to Roman's "awful" playcalling, but no one seems to actually be able to point out actual examples. I'd really appreciate it if you could (not sarcasm), but before you do let me give you some: 6 sacks, 91 yards passing total. There were career backups today that threw more than 91 yards. Kaepernick took so many drive-killing sacks, but with his ungodly athleticism he could get away? He never throws the ball away when he obviously needs to. Lots of plays that people blamed Roman for were actually plays Kaepernick checked into at the line. Additionally, on several read option plays he chose the wrong option. That's the problem when you put those decisions in a QB's hands when they don't have the skills to make the right ones like Peyton Manning can at the line of scrimmage. So if you want to pin some blame on Roman, sure you can say he gives Kaepernick too much freedom in adjusting the play.

1. Gore has been running great and on 3rd and 1 yard you bring in Hunter to get the one yard. Fumble lost, ends drive.
2. 1st and 10 on the 14 towards the end of the 2nd, you call a slant pass to Boldin that completes for 9 yards. You follow that up with a play call that hasn't worked on time all game; zone-read formation, play-action pass attempt to a deep receiver. As usual, pass protection doesn't hold, Kap is chased and tackled for a huge lose. It's 3rd and 14 and you call a screen to Kyle Williams that goes for 9 yards. Tell me what's wrong with this series.
3. Gore has 12 carries 61 yards at the half. For the remainder of the game Gore has 3 carries for 9 yards?
4. 2 slants called the entire passing game; one to Boldin for 9 yards, one to Manningham for 8 yards but was called back for a "pick" by Boldin. The offense would never call another slant.
5. The one pass option that was consistently open all game; RB out of the backfield over the middle - this was thrown no more than 3x, never to Hunter, never to LMJ who is all-world in space (which is the reason why he's so good with punt returns).
6.We have 3 of the better running backs all on the same team yet in our offensive sets, never 2 are on the field at the same time; and you almost never see LMJ as a receiver (despite being a punt returner which requires catching skills).

These are the 6 examples I could think of from memory. I'm sure other Zoners have others.

At the very least these call Roman's play-calling into question. At the very worst it begs the question if Harbaugh will do something about a recurring problem where we stop running, have not short to intermediate passing game, and if the coaches are encouraging Kap to take the big play at every opportunity vs. taking what the D gives him. In any event, someone isn't getting the message through and it's clear Colin isn't prepared or the offensive scheme didn't assume Carolina could generate the pressure it did. The game plan never changed. Plays that didn't work in the 1st Q, we were still running in the 3rd as if we didn't try it the first 15 times without success. Insanity.