There are 198 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by Antix:
I think its passing concepts/Greg Roman. Whoever designs or is in charge of passing (prob the WR coach) needs to be fired or put on notice. I feel Harbaugh is too loyal to do that. Somebody needs to be held accountable though. When we were getting pressured we never adjusted. No shallow crosses or quick slants. Our passing design is terrible.

This. Chryst has to go if we are ever going to scare teams with our passing attack. He had the same problem in SD..

That.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
I think its passing concepts/Greg Roman. Whoever designs or is in charge of passing (prob the WR coach) needs to be fired or put on notice. I feel Harbaugh is too loyal to do that. Somebody needs to be held accountable though. When we were getting pressured we never adjusted. No shallow crosses or quick slants. Our passing design is terrible.

This. Chryst has to go if we are ever going to scare teams with our passing attack. He had the same problem in SD..

That.

I feel if we continue struggling and finish last in the league in pass offense someone will have to be held accountable

God this game was an abomination.

I mean it's just starting to sink in just how bad the offense was.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM ]

Both Chryst and Roman are in over their heads. I kind of feel like Harbaugh brought in guys he knew and trusted, but not all of them seem to have worked out.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I feel if we continue struggling and finish last in the league in pass offense someone will have to be held accountable

Jim Hostler bad. Yes, that bad. Everyone perhaps other than Gore shares some of the blame, but this playcalling, for having 2 weeks to put together a viable gameplan was atrocious.

That.

I was embarrassed for myself watching it. Just pathetic.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

That.

I was embarrassed for myself watching it. Just pathetic.

WR is a priority in offseason in draft and free agency crowd it with talent to pressure everyone....actual route running players that can create separation...till then Seahawks own this division...their Wideouts are coming along just fine with a midget QB
lot has been said about the weapons the 49ers have been stockpiling in the Bay Area. But of all these names—whether they were acquired via trade or in an early round draft slot—none has been able to step up and prove their worth. And this is not specific to the wide receiver group; it is all around, which suggests that the reason for the lack of production may not be the individual players but rather how they're being used.

Hypothetically, LaMichael James could be doing very impressive things in a Saints uniform. Vance McDonald would probably be quite the weapon at the hands of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and that tight end-friendly system. Then there's Kyle Williams, who could be an X-factor in an offense like Green Bay's.

The point is tailoring plays to fit the skill set of the player.

As part of his shortcomings as a play-caller, Greg Roman has struggled to scheme ways for non-stars to touch the football and contribute. As a whole, the San Francisco offense is way too reliant on its marquee players to carry the load. So when the 49ers are in a position like the one they're in now, without Michael Crabtree and without Vernon Davis, their offense flatlines.

Middle screens and wheel routes to James don't exist. Simple timing slants and tunnel screens to Kyle Williams don't materialize. And not once has McDonald been used as a big body target in the red zone.

On Sunday, Mario Manningham was able to return and looked to be in good form. He led the 49ers in receiving and seemed to have the hot hand, but he failed to sustain that over the course of the game. The lack of fluidity in the play-calling and Roman's approach of trying to put a square peg through a round hole is crippling the 49ers offense, and it is most evident in the passing game.

This offense as a whole should be operating at a much higher rate of efficiency with how loaded its roster is.

Originally posted by ninerfreak:
WR is a priority in offseason in draft and free agency crowd it with talent to pressure everyone....actual route running players that can create separation...till then Seahawks own this division...their Wideouts are coming along just fine with a midget QB

I have no confidence in the playcalling to properly utilize more WR's. Just more decoys to run around and block downfield. I think this team needs to start a new OC, then go and get him some new toys to play with.
I would love for this to be true, but I've been teased with this every offseason thus far

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Who-are-the-next-NFL-head-coaching-candidates.html
Greg Roman – San Francisco Offensive Coordinator Roman has coached in the NFL for 15 years, has been highly successful, and is very well respected by his peers. The 49ers' offense is among the top in the NFL, and Roman has done a tremendous job developing quarterback Colin Kaepernick. He will be on a number of owners' short lists.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by LanceQ:
I bet Alex is laughing at us right about now.

He may have the last laugh indeed. It's sure looking like it right now.

Fools gold. Alex Smith is fools gold. He hasn't throw for a TD in like 4 or 5 straight games.
Originally posted by Disp:
Kaepernick's inability to win close games? You should've just stopped with "Kaepernick", because that's the root of our problems. His accuracy and decision making is the problem.

get out of here...McDonald's drop and zero time to throw the ball had nothing to do with it right?
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

At a press conference Friday night, the 49ers formally introduced Jim Harbaugh as their new head coach alongside new general manager Trent Baalke. After the formalities were over, the San Francisco media asked Harbaugh what sort of offense he's bringing to the Bay Area. "We will install the West Coast offense in San Francisco, birthplace of the West Coast offense," he answered.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/harbaugh-we-will-install-the-west-coast-offense/

This b******t is not the WCO or even close.

To their credit, Harbaugh did tell the truth. He has installed the WCO. He never said his offense would be 100% WCO, he installed elements of it and nothing more.

Classic Harbaugh, answer with a half-truth.
I watched the Walsh offense for 15+ years and what Harbaugh is running is NOTHING like the Walsh (WCO) offense. NOTHING. I can't think of a single series of plays that look like WCO. To start, the WCO relied on multiple passing options with receivers and QB reading the defense and adjusting on the fly. In the Harbaugh offense there is only one Anointed Receiver and it all depends on the pre-snap read. Nowhere does that occur in the WCO.

Harbaugh answered with what people wanted to hear and with the assumption the fans had forgotten what the WCO really looked like. He was wrong.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ninerfreak:

I have no confidence in the playcalling to properly utilize more WR's. Just more decoys to run around and block downfield. I think this team needs to start a new OC, then go and get him some new toys to play with.

I agree that fresh blood is needed on the coaching staff but the HC is the one who decides what the offense will look like. I don't believe changing the OC without a philosophical change by Harbaugh will change anything.
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
Originally posted by Disp:
Kaepernick's inability to win close games? You should've just stopped with "Kaepernick", because that's the root of our problems. His accuracy and decision making is the problem.

get out of here...McDonald's drop and zero time to throw the ball had nothing to do with it right?

Receivers drop balls. It happens. Steve Smith dropped a clutch pass too.
49ers just took the Panthers defense for granted. Then coming off a bye, just too relax. Then lack fo recievers, bland play calling and little adjustment during halftime.
But, 49ers will be fine. It's a good wake-up call lost.