There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

At a press conference Friday night, the 49ers formally introduced Jim Harbaugh as their new head coach alongside new general manager Trent Baalke. After the formalities were over, the San Francisco media asked Harbaugh what sort of offense he's bringing to the Bay Area. "We will install the West Coast offense in San Francisco, birthplace of the West Coast offense," he answered.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/harbaugh-we-will-install-the-west-coast-offense/

This b******t is not the WCO or even close.

To their credit, Harbaugh did tell the truth. He has installed the WCO. He never said his offense would be 100% WCO, he installed elements of it and nothing more.

Classic Harbaugh, answer with a half-truth.
His offense sucks. Half truth or not.
The problem is the QB. I want Alex Smith back!
Originally posted by braap49er:
The problem is the QB. I want Alex Smith back!

just stop hes not coming back move onnnnnnnn
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by sfout:

At a press conference Friday night, the 49ers formally introduced Jim Harbaugh as their new head coach alongside new general manager Trent Baalke. After the formalities were over, the San Francisco media asked Harbaugh what sort of offense he's bringing to the Bay Area. "We will install the West Coast offense in San Francisco, birthplace of the West Coast offense," he answered.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/harbaugh-we-will-install-the-west-coast-offense/

This b******t is not the WCO or even close.

To their credit, Harbaugh did tell the truth. He has installed the WCO. He never said his offense would be 100% WCO, he installed elements of it and nothing more.

Classic Harbaugh, answer with a half-truth.
His offense sucks. Half truth or not.

half truth for half an offense
Originally posted by sacleads:
True. Harbaugh needs to make changes to his coaching staff. I'm ok with Roman and the WR coach leaving after this season. Roman can call some great run plays but when it comes to the passing game, its frustrating, especially against a very good defense. We need a new set of eyes who can better utilize the QB and WRs.

This...and its not enough, this isn't Stanford, this isn't the PAC-12, its not sufficient to have an offensive coordinator that only excels in one part of the offense. Because of his lack of ability when it comes to calling a passing offense, this team goes into each game with a handicap in that regard and if its a top defense, they end up feasting on his utterly predictable playcalls.

It is so obvious. There are no real strategic adjustments when the offense stalls. It seems so simple that when that kind of pressure is being generated by the front 7 you go to screens, delays, short crossing patterns. Did we see any of these? No! That's so basic, it's almost unbelievable we don't see these things. Instead they stack the box and bring pressure and we keep trying to take 5 and 7 step drops. I thought Harbaugh was smarter than this.
Also for being touted as a quarterback whisperer, he is sure missing some of Kap's issues. It may be he doesn't have progressions on a lot of plays, but he sure doesn't do much besides lock on to his primary receiver.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Rascal:
No, I don't know is "designed" this way. But, let's just say if it is for the sake of discussion, then is obviously not working or at least Kap should be rushing much more. What I am saying is Kap needs to target mutiple receivers even if he is on the scramble. Otherwise why bother having any secondary receivers ?

To block. No, seriously. All your talk about needing more WR's is meaningless when the gameplanning refuses to include those other receivers for much more than being blockers downfield. Watch when Kaepernick scrambles, how often do guys often break off their routes and by that, the 1 or 2 guys actually running routes to catch the ball, not the guys with blocking assignments 15 yards downfield.

Bingo.

I keep reading posts that put blame on Kap for not finding those receivers, but I don't see anyone complaining that our OC literally does nothing to make a team pay for stacking the box and blitzing repeatedly. When the Niners lose, it is because our offense is overwhelmed by the blitzing, and we have no back up plan to counter it. Literally every one of the losses in the last two years are the exact same formula. The Ravens started it in 2011 and teams that have been able to replicate that formula have beaten this Niner team. Like I said in my earlier post, in the games the niners have lost in the Harbaugh era, they have averaged 13 points per game. Keep in mind that includes the Super Bowl where they scored 31 and against Dallas they had 24. Take those two higher scores out and the other 10 games are just pathetic at 7.3 points per game over ten games.

Just let that sink in a bit...

If they can stop our run and force us to pass, we're toast. We don't have an answer, except in the GreenBay game in which Green bay simply didn't get it that all that had to do was take Boldin out of the game.
Originally posted by barrymartin:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Rascal:
No, I don't know is "designed" this way. But, let's just say if it is for the sake of discussion, then is obviously not working or at least Kap should be rushing much more. What I am saying is Kap needs to target mutiple receivers even if he is on the scramble. Otherwise why bother having any secondary receivers ?

To block. No, seriously. All your talk about needing more WR's is meaningless when the gameplanning refuses to include those other receivers for much more than being blockers downfield. Watch when Kaepernick scrambles, how often do guys often break off their routes and by that, the 1 or 2 guys actually running routes to catch the ball, not the guys with blocking assignments 15 yards downfield.

Bingo.

I keep reading posts that put blame on Kap for not finding those receivers, but I don't see anyone complaining that our OC literally does nothing to make a team pay for stacking the box and blitzing repeatedly. When the Niners lose, it is because our offense is overwhelmed by the blitzing, and we have no back up plan to counter it. Literally every one of the losses in the last two years are the exact same formula. The Ravens started it in 2011 and teams that have been able to replicate that formula have beaten this Niner team. Like I said in my earlier post, in the games the niners have lost in the Harbaugh era, they have averaged 13 points per game. Keep in mind that includes the Super Bowl where they scored 31 and against Dallas they had 24. Take those two higher scores out and the other 10 games are just pathetic at 7.3 points per game over ten games.

Just let that sink in a bit...

If they can stop our run and force us to pass, we're toast. We don't have an answer, except in the GreenBay game in which Green bay simply didn't get it that all that had to do was take Boldin out of the game.

Remember when there was talk last year about the 49ers being "fake tough guys"?

This couldn't be more true of the offense. When they get punched in the mouth by a defense, they fold like lawn chairs. It is sickening to watch.
Originally posted by VA49er:
For me the game was 100% on Roman. It could be Kaepernick too. Depending. But ultimately Roman. We refused to just take what their D was giving us and move the chains. Constantly looking to hit a home run. There could have been instances where Kaep was audibling to big plays but I don't think so. The play calling from our own end zone was unbelievably risky in a close game. Frank Gore was getting 5 per carry. We needed to lead with the run and look for the quik passes first with deep reads being the secondary option. We tried to play over top of those guys but it just wasn't working. We really were a couple of plays away from breaking that game open, and that is on a number of people but we were in a grind of a game and we didnt' grind it out.

THEY.NEVER.DO.TAKE.WHAT.A.DEFENSE.GIVES.THEM.

In 2 1/2 seasons, if it isn't in the game plan, even if a team is vulnerable, they won't utilize it. If a team blitzes a lot and brings heavy pressure, do they utilize a lot of slants and screens? HELL NO, its not in the game plan, we're throwing deep. This should be Roman's new slogan.

It's like he calls passing offense from a Madden NFL handbook.
Originally posted by VA49er:
For me the game was 100% on Roman. It could be Kaepernick too. Depending. But ultimately Roman. We refused to just take what their D was giving us and move the chains. Constantly looking to hit a home run. There could have been instances where Kaep was audibling to big plays but I don't think so. The play calling from our own end zone was unbelievably risky in a close game. Frank Gore was getting 5 per carry. We needed to lead with the run and look for the quik passes first with deep reads being the secondary option. We tried to play over top of those guys but it just wasn't working. We really were a couple of plays away from breaking that game open, and that is on a number of people but we were in a grind of a game and we didnt' grind it out.

2nd and 10 at the 13? Empty set. I was screaming "NO NO NO NO NO". You're asking the OL to block when they hadn't been all game long and you're going to call THAT formation in the shadow of your own goal posts? It was like is Roman this dumb or is he just f**king with us?
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I'd say it starts up front with the O-line...but I've seen this from Kap all season. He constantly locks on to one guy, throws lasers with no touch (besides that beautiful Mcdonald dropped), and he just hasn't been that good.. Even when the O-line gives him time he still doesn't find the open man. Yes the WR's are below average but damn... This has been pathetic all season.

The O-line was a sieve today. There was constant pressure up the middle. They were simply overmatched and pretty much overwhelmed the whole game. This is not the best O-line in football as so many announcers state. They couldn't get any push at all, in fact, the opposite was true. Most of the time they were being pushed back, and the linebackers and safeties were crashing through wholes to stop running plays for short gains. They were able to consistently get pressure on Kap the whole game. Bad game for the O-Line. Yes, many other problems. You don't get less than 100 yds passing and not have it be the QB, the play calling and the receivers also. Total dysfunction today.
Just agreeing with what I've seen some people saying here, which why in the cornbread f*** don't they utilize quick hitting pass plays like swings, screens, slants, short in's/crosses, ESPECIALLY with a DL that is teeing off on your OL? I wasn't at the game today so can't really say what kind of routes were being run on most plays, but I got the sense it's either deep seam routes or short curls where a WR, should a completion actually occur, is facing the QB and doesn't have the benefit of catching the ball in stride. That's great when you want 7 yards on a 3rd&6, but it would be nice to see routes where a receiver is coming across the field, or the RB in the flat on a swing.

LMJ was activated...good first step. Now, I dunno, maybe get him the ball in space?

Oh well, gotta admit not real confident right now and would not be surprised in the least if they lose the next two on the road to NO and Wash, and then 12/8 to Seattle...and oh by the way, don't sleep on the Rams, either. Winning the NFCW is now a pipe dream, and even the second wildcard and a #6 see are going to be a dogfight.

I was willing to accept that sure, the passing game wasn't great during the 5-game win streak, but it didn't have to be because the run game was so strong. But today, even though the run game was getting yards, nothing was ever in sync and it was clear Kaepernick and the passing game would have to win this game...no sugarcoating it, they failed miserably and have given no indication things are going to get better.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Nov 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM ]
  • Eeks
  • Veteran
The play calling is so random. Running great then just stop for no reason. No timing routes. All 7 step drop. No screens. Why do we continue to call 3 plays every huddle and take it down to the last second of the play clock? That is what cost us the superbowl(Kaep would have scored on the keeper if not for the timeout). Only one slant that was a big gainer. This offense might be too multiple where we do so many different things with personel and formations that we are not excelling in any one of them
What makes me mad is that we had the bye week to prepare for the Panthers and we look terrible. I did not agree with the play calling. I know that we do not throw the ball deep much but you have to in order to keep the safeties from creeping up.
  • Eeks
  • Veteran
Maybe Greg Roman has ADHD?? Seems to do worse after bye weeks or extra days to prep. Like he cant keep still and has to tweak things
Originally posted by Antix:
I think its passing concepts/Greg Roman. Whoever designs or is in charge of passing (prob the WR coach) needs to be fired or put on notice. I feel Harbaugh is too loyal to do that. Somebody needs to be held accountable though. When we were getting pressured we never adjusted. No shallow crosses or quick slants. Our passing design is terrible.

This. Chryst has to go if we are ever going to scare teams with our passing attack. He had the same problem in SD..