There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

Originally posted by Allx9er:
without frank the niners O is nothing

It's true.
Kap is only in the second game of his sophomore season, give him time. We lived by the sword last season by trading off our bread and butter ole reliable with Smith, so from time to time we will die by the sword relying on Kap. But in the long run we made the right decision, the game is still coming to him and having his fav targets back and the d playing lights out will help during the playoff run. CALM DOWN!
Kaep is taking a lot of blame around the zone tonight and while he doesn't look good out there right now, people need to realize that he isn't being set up properly in this offense either. After watching years of Alex low risk high completion touch passes the zone begged for a gunslinger and now they got one and still aren't satisfied. This is what you get with gunslingers. Treasure or trash. Some throws that make you watch in awe and others that make you scratch your head bald. If you watch Kaep closely he looks for the big play on almost every pass, be it downfield or with his legs, but you remove the one guy that can make plays downfield, Vernon Davis then you remove Kaep from the game, it is as simple as that. There is nobody else on this team that has shown the ability to get open downfield. Surrounding Kaep with guys that can't is where the organization has failed him this season.

Anquan Boldin is good for those grind it out tough first down catches but that is the extent of his game. But we already knew that when he joined this team, nothing has changed. Last year Kaep just had much better weapons in the passing game for his style of play. While Randy Moss wasn't Randy Moss anymore, he still had deceptive speed and has been an elite wide receiver in the league long enough to know how to get open. Crabtree really became a sensational route runner and that more than made up for his average speed. Delanie Walker was simply better than McDonald is at this point in his career, and had the speed to make plays downfield. That is why Kaep excelled so much because these guys could play to his strengths and the current crop of wide receivers simply can't.

I'm not completely defending Collin here because he does have his issues. He struggles looking off defenses and can't throw a touch pass to save his life, unless its too the strong handed Boldin that is able to catch his eight yard lasers, but I do stand by my statement. If the 49ers want to make the young signal caller among the most gifted in the NFL again then they need to get this guys some downfield weapons other than Vernon Davis. Give him an opportunity to play to his strengths and make him comfortable.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
Two things bothered me about our passing attack: first of all, our pass protection is still not up to par when faced with one of the better pass rushes in the league. Secondly, does our team practice scramble drills? When Seattle's pass protection breaks down, Wilson will go into one of his patented scrambles, and his WRs will bail him out by constantly working to get open, or coming back to him,... When Kap had to scramble, most of the times it seemed like he got very little help from our receivers, and ended up getting caught and brought down, or throwing the ball away.

At a press conference Friday night, the 49ers formally introduced Jim Harbaugh as their new head coach alongside new general manager Trent Baalke. After the formalities were over, the San Francisco media asked Harbaugh what sort of offense he's bringing to the Bay Area. "We will install the West Coast offense in San Francisco, birthplace of the West Coast offense," he answered.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/harbaugh-we-will-install-the-west-coast-offense/

This b******t is not the WCO or even close.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

At a press conference Friday night, the 49ers formally introduced Jim Harbaugh as their new head coach alongside new general manager Trent Baalke. After the formalities were over, the San Francisco media asked Harbaugh what sort of offense he's bringing to the Bay Area. "We will install the West Coast offense in San Francisco, birthplace of the West Coast offense," he answered.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/harbaugh-we-will-install-the-west-coast-offense/

• sfout
  • Veteran

To their credit, Harbaugh did tell the truth. He has installed the WCO. He never said his offense would be 100% WCO, he installed elements of it and nothing more.

Classic Harbaugh, answer with a half-truth.
Originally posted by Rascal:
No, I don't know is "designed" this way. But, let's just say if it is for the sake of discussion, then is obviously not working or at least Kap should be rushing much more. What I am saying is Kap needs to target mutiple receivers even if he is on the scramble. Otherwise why bother having any secondary receivers ?

To block. No, seriously. All your talk about needing more WR's is meaningless when the gameplanning refuses to include those other receivers for much more than being blockers downfield. Watch when Kaepernick scrambles, how often do guys often break off their routes and by that, the 1 or 2 guys actually running routes to catch the ball, not the guys with blocking assignments 15 yards downfield.

Bingo.

I keep reading posts that put blame on Kap for not finding those receivers, but I don't see anyone complaining that our OC literally does nothing to make a team pay for stacking the box and blitzing repeatedly. When the Niners lose, it is because our offense is overwhelmed by the blitzing, and we have no back up plan to counter it. Literally every one of the losses in the last two years are the exact same formula. The Ravens started it in 2011 and teams that have been able to replicate that formula have beaten this Niner team. Like I said in my earlier post, in the games the niners have lost in the Harbaugh era, they have averaged 13 points per game. Keep in mind that includes the Super Bowl where they scored 31 and against Dallas they had 24. Take those two higher scores out and the other 10 games are just pathetic at 7.3 points per game over ten games.

Just let that sink in a bit...
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Kaep having no touch on his passes, all just bullets lol

He needs to calm down in the weight room, even coach said it was a bad thing if a QB gets to much weight room time. And ive notice him having to really dial it down to get touch on his balls.
everything about the passing O is junk. play calling, he inability to create personnel mismatches, protection, qb play...all of it.

theres no rule that says u can't run screen play on 2nd down, where the hell does it say the only routes a te can run are the wheel and seam? square in or out, a fcking dig....find soft spot already! doesn't take a genius to get the FB a pass, the D will gladly give that up everyday.

Olines passpro is trash, been trash. which certainly doesn't help kaep out, lord knows he needs a little time especially with his season long inaccuracy issues. the dude hasn't even played 32 games yet and I'm still trying to figure out if the coaches are really developing/advancing kaep within that system. OK crabs is out and of course that doesn't help but damn. these jokers have problems regardless of whether or not the play is specifically designed to get one player open (other then the usual suspects) or its a read progression type deal that involves 3 or more receivers.

the think tank is cracked...,this is b******t*t

go niners!!

f**king bull
For me the game was 100% on Roman. It could be Kaepernick too. Depending. But ultimately Roman. We refused to just take what their D was giving us and move the chains. Constantly looking to hit a home run. There could have been instances where Kaep was audibling to big plays but I don't think so. The play calling from our own end zone was unbelievably risky in a close game. Frank Gore was getting 5 per carry. We needed to lead with the run and look for the quik passes first with deep reads being the secondary option. We tried to play over top of those guys but it just wasn't working. We really were a couple of plays away from breaking that game open, and that is on a number of people but we were in a grind of a game and we didnt' grind it out.
The Real Problem? is named Balke. Who have the brought in as an offensive play maker since Singletary left? Gore, Davis, and Crabtree were pre-Harbaugh era. We draft a QB who can't read defense, can't audible, can't read through his progressions. Who did we bring as a potential workhorse to help Gore? LaMichael James?? Kendall Hunter?? They are not starting backs. Who have we brought in as WR?? AJ Jenkins?? Trent Balke in my opinion is really bad at drafting and bringing in free agent offensive playmakers (Boldin is the exception). Go back and analyze the offensive players (not including the offensive line) drafted in the last three years:

Kaepernick (Avg QB)
Hunter (Good utlity back, but not a dominant play maker)
Miller (Good blocker, gains minimal yardage)

Jenkins, James (BUSTS)

2013:
Patton (Jury is out)
Vance McDonald (Doesn't play much because of Davis and Celek)
BJ Daniels (GONE)
Lattimore (Injured)

This kind of drafting is unacceptable

Some of the Offensive free agents that have come and gone this year:

WR Austin Collie
WR Chad Hall
WR Lavelle Hawkins
WR Chuck jacobs
RB Jewel Hampton
WR Kassim Osgood
WR Marlon Moore
WR Baldwin

Who am I am I missing from this turnstile list of players that they have brought in this year...(who aren't even seeing the field)

It's obvious from the above list that we have the offense that we do.

You can see that our offensive problems are a reflection of the above. People...we have some major problem upstairs.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Our offense need to get their crap together! WR's specifically...Seattle will be visiting us soon and that pressure defense was assembled to stop us. I really don't want to get embarrass at home in our last game against Seattle. That would be a terrible last memory at Candlestick.
In the not too distant past Roman was "the Genius", Kaep was labeled the GOAT. Truth be told they weren't that good and now they're not that bad. Remember last year, the Ravens lost 4 of their last 5 and still won the SB. In 2011 the Giants won as the wild card. Just get the ticket punched and get to the Dance, then we'll see what happens.
Think it's going to be a tall order to beat the Saints next week.