There are 633 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
They didn't plan well at WR, but what is the point, do they need more WR's to be blockers downfield or what? Its obvious they have no real intent to utilize anyone but VD and Boldin, defenses know this and they key in on those guys.

True. Harbaugh needs to make changes to his coaching staff. I'm ok with Roman and the WR coach leaving after this season. Roman can call some great run plays but when it comes to the passing game, its frustrating, especially against a very good defense. We need a new set of eyes who can better utilize the QB and WRs.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
running they are ok

the funny thing is they don't want to run when they should.

how you line up and run pistol against a team that practices against it every week is beyond arrogance and why we have 3 losses.

the passing offense is horrible because its big chunk or nothing. no underneath no intermediate nothing.

wasting talent and time.

its really simply what should happen but it won't so expect more of the same there's a reason that nobody hired him from us and a reason they'll let us keep him right here to mess up our chances

"75 formations" before snapping the ball
Originally posted by sacleads:
They didn't plan well at WR, but what is the point, do they need more WR's to be blockers downfield or what? Its obvious they have no real intent to utilize anyone but VD and Boldin, defenses know this and they key in on those guys.

True. Harbaugh needs to make changes to his coaching staff. I'm ok with Roman and the WR coach leaving after this season. Roman can call some great run plays but when it comes to the passing game, its frustrating, especially against a very good defense. We need a new set of eyes who can better utilize the QB and WRs.
Agreed
Originally posted by sacleads:

This...and its not enough, this isn't Stanford, this isn't the PAC-12, its not sufficient to have an offensive coordinator that only excels in one part of the offense. Because of his lack of ability when it comes to calling a passing offense, this team goes into each game with a handicap in that regard and if its a top defense, they end up feasting on his utterly predictable playcalls.
We don't have our stud Delanie Walker
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Kaepernick can't see any more than 1 and only 1 WR or TE. Then he puts his head straight down to the ground, stops looking downfield, ignores option 2, 3, 4 and tries to run. Which is far less effective this year because D have guys watching for the Kaep run.

At this point he's really useless.

You pretty much nailed it.

First of all, it is already a known fact that teams scout Kap as a "one-read" QB as pointed out by Karlos Dansby when asked to differentiate between Wilson and Kap.

Kap has a tendency to only key in on 1 guy.

As such, he never spreads the ball around which means our secondary receivers are basically useless.

In doing so, none of our young receivers are ever given even half a chance to develop and improve before they all get cut in no time.

Anquan 64 targets, Marlon 4 targets and Jon 6 targets. Can you believe that ? In other words, if your name is not Anquan or Vernon, you are pretty much deemed to be s**te.

Bottomline, it just means the 9ers' passing game is crap and incredibly easy to shut down.

You do understand that this offense is designed this way - it was the same exact design when Alex Smith was here - the only difference is that he was a terrible scrambler so the coaches kept a RB in as a checkdown. That's been replaced - now the RB is kept in to block. So if it's a question of shutting down Kap, it also should be a question about the entire scheme/philosophy of this college offense.

No, I don't know is "designed" this way. But, let's just say if it is for the sake of discussion, then is obviously not working or at least Kap should be rushing much more. What I am saying is Kap needs to target mutiple receivers even if he is on the scramble. Otherwise why bother having any secondary receivers ?
Originally posted by Rascal:
No, I don't know is "designed" this way. But, let's just say if it is for the sake of discussion, then is obviously not working or at least Kap should be rushing much more. What I am saying is Kap needs to target mutiple receivers even if he is on the scramble. Otherwise why bother having any secondary receivers ?

To block. No, seriously. All your talk about needing more WR's is meaningless when the gameplanning refuses to include those other receivers for much more than being blockers downfield. Watch when Kaepernick scrambles, how often do guys often break off their routes and by that, the 1 or 2 guys actually running routes to catch the ball, not the guys with blocking assignments 15 yards downfield.
The fourth quarter was excruciating. I don't think I've seen us flounder like that in a long time. The worst preparation for a niner team in a while? It's like we never saw a delay blitz before. I can't fathom the break down.

The aimlessness, the horrible breakdowns in the pocket, the ineffective formations...it didn't feel new. We've been here before. We'll be here again. This will keep happening for as long as we don't base our offense around a few simple formations from which we can run a multiplicity of plays. This means keeping two backs in the back field for a majority of plays..

Carolina just ate up the faux read option formations. It was stupid to put them out there. We need some fresh ideas in our offensive direction.

Ooops, sorry I didn't mean to bring everyone down...

[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Nov 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM ]
To block. No, seriously. All your talk about needing more WR's is meaningless when the gameplanning refuses to include those other receivers for much more than being blockers downfield. Watch when Kaepernick scrambles, how often do guys often break off their routes and by that, the 1 or 2 guys actually running routes to catch the ball, not the guys with blocking assignments 15 yards downfield.

No, I am not saying we need more (given we are not currently making full use of them), I am saying Kap needs to throw to more or different targets. Is far too predictable right now, the teams are saying just shut down Anquan and Vernon they wil be golden. But, I don't know for sure whether it is gameplanning or Kap's "one-read" tendency. Remember that 4th down in that week 1 Green Bay game ? Kap threw to Anquan on the scramble while Anquan adjusted to make the catch. Likewise, at least in theory, Kap could do the same with others.
I tried to post using my phone and it messed it up. I will re post later.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Nov 10, 2013 at 6:30 PM ]
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

Geep Chryst.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I feel like someone needs to pull a Roethlisberger and leak a threat about trade because of the direction of this offense.

I said it in the middle of the win streak, I believe after the 4th win, that we were clearly playing game managing football and that if it was another QB not named Kaepernick this board would have a meltdown because we were winning because we were playing bad teams and we were leaning on a great ground game.

Well guess what we played that exact same style of ball, with 2 weeks to prepare no less and we fell flat on our as*es.

The discussion of Kaepernick being a 1 read QB has two sides and it is up to interpretation and would require the ability to actually know if he is or not.

Here is the scenario......The coaches almost never run more than 3WR/2 WR-1TE/2TE-1WR sets, typically designed with a decoy, a blocker, and the player it is designed for. When it fails he attempts to tuck and run.

Here are the two sides....
1. Now is Kaepernick perceived to be a 1 read QB because of the scheme the coaches are stubbornly implementing?

2. He IS a 1 read QB and that is why the coaches implement such basic passing plays, done in effort to mask his inability to go through his progessions?

Bottom line is we aren't in the film room and people can pick the side they want to believe but it comes down to the coaches pandering to a possible weakness and not forcing him to develop and mature or the coaches are holding back his development.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

Geep Chryst.

My thoughts as well, but that is probably who coach would pick.
KAEPERNICK KAEPERNICK KAEPERNICK KAEPERNICK KAPERNICK KAEPERNICK KAEPERNICK
without frank the niners O is nothing