LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

Originally posted by Rascal:
No, I don't know is "designed" this way. But, let's just say if it is for the sake of discussion, then is obviously not working or at least Kap should be rushing much more. What I am saying is Kap needs to target mutiple receivers even if he is on the scramble. Otherwise why bother having any secondary receivers ?

To block. No, seriously. All your talk about needing more WR's is meaningless when the gameplanning refuses to include those other receivers for much more than being blockers downfield. Watch when Kaepernick scrambles, how often do guys often break off their routes and by that, the 1 or 2 guys actually running routes to catch the ball, not the guys with blocking assignments 15 yards downfield.
The fourth quarter was excruciating. I don't think I've seen us flounder like that in a long time. The worst preparation for a niner team in a while? It's like we never saw a delay blitz before. I can't fathom the break down.

The aimlessness, the horrible breakdowns in the pocket, the ineffective formations...it didn't feel new. We've been here before. We'll be here again. This will keep happening for as long as we don't base our offense around a few simple formations from which we can run a multiplicity of plays. This means keeping two backs in the back field for a majority of plays..

Carolina just ate up the faux read option formations. It was stupid to put them out there. We need some fresh ideas in our offensive direction.

Ooops, sorry I didn't mean to bring everyone down...

[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Nov 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
To block. No, seriously. All your talk about needing more WR's is meaningless when the gameplanning refuses to include those other receivers for much more than being blockers downfield. Watch when Kaepernick scrambles, how often do guys often break off their routes and by that, the 1 or 2 guys actually running routes to catch the ball, not the guys with blocking assignments 15 yards downfield.

No, I am not saying we need more (given we are not currently making full use of them), I am saying Kap needs to throw to more or different targets. Is far too predictable right now, the teams are saying just shut down Anquan and Vernon they wil be golden. But, I don't know for sure whether it is gameplanning or Kap's "one-read" tendency. Remember that 4th down in that week 1 Green Bay game ? Kap threw to Anquan on the scramble while Anquan adjusted to make the catch. Likewise, at least in theory, Kap could do the same with others.
I tried to post using my phone and it messed it up. I will re post later.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Nov 10, 2013 at 6:30 PM ]
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

Geep Chryst.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I feel like someone needs to pull a Roethlisberger and leak a threat about trade because of the direction of this offense.

I said it in the middle of the win streak, I believe after the 4th win, that we were clearly playing game managing football and that if it was another QB not named Kaepernick this board would have a meltdown because we were winning because we were playing bad teams and we were leaning on a great ground game.

Well guess what we played that exact same style of ball, with 2 weeks to prepare no less and we fell flat on our as*es.

The discussion of Kaepernick being a 1 read QB has two sides and it is up to interpretation and would require the ability to actually know if he is or not.

Here is the scenario......The coaches almost never run more than 3WR/2 WR-1TE/2TE-1WR sets, typically designed with a decoy, a blocker, and the player it is designed for. When it fails he attempts to tuck and run.

Here are the two sides....
1. Now is Kaepernick perceived to be a 1 read QB because of the scheme the coaches are stubbornly implementing?

2. He IS a 1 read QB and that is why the coaches implement such basic passing plays, done in effort to mask his inability to go through his progessions?

Bottom line is we aren't in the film room and people can pick the side they want to believe but it comes down to the coaches pandering to a possible weakness and not forcing him to develop and mature or the coaches are holding back his development.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

Geep Chryst.

My thoughts as well, but that is probably who coach would pick.
KAEPERNICK KAEPERNICK KAEPERNICK KAEPERNICK KAPERNICK KAEPERNICK KAEPERNICK
without frank the niners O is nothing
Originally posted by Allx9er:
without frank the niners O is nothing

It's true.

Kap is only in the second game of his sophomore season, give him time. We lived by the sword last season by trading off our bread and butter ole reliable with Smith, so from time to time we will die by the sword relying on Kap. But in the long run we made the right decision, the game is still coming to him and having his fav targets back and the d playing lights out will help during the playoff run. CALM DOWN!
Kaep is taking a lot of blame around the zone tonight and while he doesn't look good out there right now, people need to realize that he isn't being set up properly in this offense either. After watching years of Alex low risk high completion touch passes the zone begged for a gunslinger and now they got one and still aren't satisfied. This is what you get with gunslingers. Treasure or trash. Some throws that make you watch in awe and others that make you scratch your head bald. If you watch Kaep closely he looks for the big play on almost every pass, be it downfield or with his legs, but you remove the one guy that can make plays downfield, Vernon Davis then you remove Kaep from the game, it is as simple as that. There is nobody else on this team that has shown the ability to get open downfield. Surrounding Kaep with guys that can't is where the organization has failed him this season.

Anquan Boldin is good for those grind it out tough first down catches but that is the extent of his game. But we already knew that when he joined this team, nothing has changed. Last year Kaep just had much better weapons in the passing game for his style of play. While Randy Moss wasn't Randy Moss anymore, he still had deceptive speed and has been an elite wide receiver in the league long enough to know how to get open. Crabtree really became a sensational route runner and that more than made up for his average speed. Delanie Walker was simply better than McDonald is at this point in his career, and had the speed to make plays downfield. That is why Kaep excelled so much because these guys could play to his strengths and the current crop of wide receivers simply can't.

I'm not completely defending Collin here because he does have his issues. He struggles looking off defenses and can't throw a touch pass to save his life, unless its too the strong handed Boldin that is able to catch his eight yard lasers, but I do stand by my statement. If the 49ers want to make the young signal caller among the most gifted in the NFL again then they need to get this guys some downfield weapons other than Vernon Davis. Give him an opportunity to play to his strengths and make him comfortable.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
Two things bothered me about our passing attack: first of all, our pass protection is still not up to par when faced with one of the better pass rushes in the league. Secondly, does our team practice scramble drills? When Seattle's pass protection breaks down, Wilson will go into one of his patented scrambles, and his WRs will bail him out by constantly working to get open, or coming back to him,... When Kap had to scramble, most of the times it seemed like he got very little help from our receivers, and ended up getting caught and brought down, or throwing the ball away.

At a press conference Friday night, the 49ers formally introduced Jim Harbaugh as their new head coach alongside new general manager Trent Baalke. After the formalities were over, the San Francisco media asked Harbaugh what sort of offense he's bringing to the Bay Area. "We will install the West Coast offense in San Francisco, birthplace of the West Coast offense," he answered.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/harbaugh-we-will-install-the-west-coast-offense/

This b******t is not the WCO or even close.

At a press conference Friday night, the 49ers formally introduced Jim Harbaugh as their new head coach alongside new general manager Trent Baalke. After the formalities were over, the San Francisco media asked Harbaugh what sort of offense he's bringing to the Bay Area. "We will install the West Coast offense in San Francisco, birthplace of the West Coast offense," he answered.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/harbaugh-we-will-install-the-west-coast-offense/

This b******t is not the WCO or even close.

Share 49ersWebzone