There are 190 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

funny how on around the horn all 4 columnist just defended kap and said that he really hasn't had a 2nd option and this wr core isn't one that any really good team would want.

but here that's not the case lol.

we have wr's that are best in quick hitting plays scheme that.
let them get in space and run.
how hard is that to do? apparently really hard. we have the worst offensive coordinator in the nfl when it comes to passing that can't be disputed.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Can someone please show me some video evidence of all these ghost-like deep passes I keep hearing about?

It is quite shocking that HaRoMan don't utilize the shorter passing plays to help dvelop a rhythm (except for that ONE Miller play) esp. against a team that is bringing heat successfully, b/c really, that is the philosophy of this offense...ground-focused game complimented by a nice, controlled, high percentage passing game that keeps the chains moving and the other team's offense on the bench (i.e. win the TOP game). It's run or intermediate pass almost 100% of the time.

they don't care about rhythm when its the most important thing that a qb can have.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1199-why-i-wont-blame-kaepernick/
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
- the playcalling shouldn't get away from the run when it is working.. otherwise, it is fine and being scapegoated for poor player execution...

- I don't think it is at all as simple as to suggest that when Miller trots onto the field, we are showing our hand in running intent...

- RZ confidence and aggression is low, and the coaches need to go for it on 4th and goal in situations like the Carolina game...

- The weapons are fine... WRs/TEs can make up for lack of speed with sharp double moves, convincing play-action, and jump-ball situations that they are simply not getting chances to make.

- the biggest problem is that the 2012 Kaep is not showing himself. In 2012, he was having fun and relaxed. 2013 Kaep seems remarkably stressed and tense. He seems afraid to make a mistake... and his hesitations are causing him to not release the ball... not find open targets... and he is overly reliant on his athleticism to evade and escape the pocket to run. Well, defenses are being more disciplined, and those runs are not nearly as effective.

He CAN get this worked out. He HAS the ability to be a star. He just needs to relax... and better learn to trust his targets and what he sees from the D-coverage.

I believe in him... but while he is struggling through these issues, I refuse to blame everyone around him just because I am desperate to believe he is the Chosen One. And I do pray he is the Chosen One... because the only thing that would tick me off more than "my guy" being replaced by the Chosen One??? is that "my guy" was replaced by a fraud.

This.

I think you are labouring under a mis-understanding that I think Kap is an elite QB. He's not, he could be but he's not there yet. I am not an Alex hater, he had my full support while he played for us, and I have pointed out that the struggles on our offense actually are the same now as when Alex was QB. Our Oline was terrible against the blitz forcing Alex to eat a lot of sacks against the Ravens in 2011 and the Giants in 2012.

That is why I am pointing them out, because they are issues and concerns that have been seen before with a different QB and we had the same issues moving the ball. The porous O Line when pass blocking, the designated receiver - in 2011 Crabtree had 72 catches, Vernon 67 and next up was Williams with 20....

As I said in my post, trotting Miller on means it's almost always a run, but more than that because he doesn't have the pace Walker has we cannot use him with the same versatility, therefore the other team can still put 8 in the box and cover Miller if he leaks out as a check down.
They obviously are two very different QBs yet the offense still struggles. Does that suggest a coaching issue as much as a player issue?

When Smith did not "throw a receiver open" he was chastised for not throwing it away or taking a sack. Now Kaepernick is hesitant when he has a receiver open he is taking sacks and sometimes throwing it away. Same issue.

Everyone from Ray Ratto to Santa Claus (I can't think of any two more different) is blaming lack of quality receivers but Jonathan Baldwin caught 41 passes in two years in KC but can't even get on the field. He has been stuck behind Kyle Williams who is no longer on the team. If Matt Cassell can complete passes to Baldwin, what is wrong with Colin Kaepernick.

I believe a good part of the blame rests on The Great Quarterback Whisperer, Jim Harbaugh. I am no longer buying his resume. Josh Johnson was pretty good at San Diego but couldn't buy a seat on the bus in the NFL. Apparently what Harbaugh taught him had limitations. Andrew Luck was the best HS QB in the nation and he chose Stanford for academics as well as football (2 degrees IIRC). He had a great career there basically marshaling a college power running game with some nice passing. He had two years with Harbaugh and one with Dennis Shaw, during all of which he looked pretty much the same. Now he is with Indy and still doing great. I question how much of his success is credited to Harbaugh. Everyone talks about how Jim Harbaugh "saved" Alex Smith's career when all he did was recognize that Alex was the best option available, and he turned out to be a good one. However, any decent observer will record that Smith's career turned around when Mike Johnson replaced Jimmy Raye, not when Jim Harbaugh arrived. Alex was the same Alex before Harbaugh and is the same one now.

Now we come to Colin Kaepernick who is in his third year and is still having some of the same recognition problems he had in the first games we saw him play here. Yes, getting Crabtree back may help but he has had other receivers open yet failed to spot them and deliver the ball. So I am calling out Harbaugh to prove he is The Great Quarterback Whisperer. If Kaepernick was his handpicked guy (although rumor has it he would have preferred Andy Dalton) then it is time for him to make His Guy into the player we were led to believe he could be. Put a system on the field that includes multiple receivers that are in position to catch the ball, including short safety valves that take the pressure off the QB and allow him to develop.

Yes, the OL has allowed a lot of sacks but any system that spins around 5 and 7 step drops is going to put a lot of pressure in the OL. Go to quick drops with passing plays designed to beat pressure. This isn't rocket science. Just watch what Payton does in NO.

Yes, WR is a relative weakness but when Green Bay lost Finley and Cobb, Andrew Quarless and Jarrett Boykin step in and the machine rolls on. Kyle Williams may have been a false hope (although Alex Smith found him on occasion) but Baldwin shouldn't be. Time to look into the coaches lounge instead of just looking at players. We have become predictable and one-dimensional. Only one area to put that blame.
^^^ hard to argue that!
Originally posted by dj43:
- the playcalling shouldn't get away from the run when it is working.. otherwise, it is fine and being scapegoated for poor player execution...

- I don't think it is at all as simple as to suggest that when Miller trots onto the field, we are showing our hand in running intent...

- RZ confidence and aggression is low, and the coaches need to go for it on 4th and goal in situations like the Carolina game...

- The weapons are fine... WRs/TEs can make up for lack of speed with sharp double moves, convincing play-action, and jump-ball situations that they are simply not getting chances to make.

- the biggest problem is that the 2012 Kaep is not showing himself. In 2012, he was having fun and relaxed. 2013 Kaep seems remarkably stressed and tense. He seems afraid to make a mistake... and his hesitations are causing him to not release the ball... not find open targets... and he is overly reliant on his athleticism to evade and escape the pocket to run. Well, defenses are being more disciplined, and those runs are not nearly as effective.

He CAN get this worked out. He HAS the ability to be a star. He just needs to relax... and better learn to trust his targets and what he sees from the D-coverage.

I believe in him... but while he is struggling through these issues, I refuse to blame everyone around him just because I am desperate to believe he is the Chosen One. And I do pray he is the Chosen One... because the only thing that would tick me off more than "my guy" being replaced by the Chosen One??? is that "my guy" was replaced by a fraud.

This.

I think you are labouring under a mis-understanding that I think Kap is an elite QB. He's not, he could be but he's not there yet. I am not an Alex hater, he had my full support while he played for us, and I have pointed out that the struggles on our offense actually are the same now as when Alex was QB. Our Oline was terrible against the blitz forcing Alex to eat a lot of sacks against the Ravens in 2011 and the Giants in 2012.

That is why I am pointing them out, because they are issues and concerns that have been seen before with a different QB and we had the same issues moving the ball. The porous O Line when pass blocking, the designated receiver - in 2011 Crabtree had 72 catches, Vernon 67 and next up was Williams with 20....

As I said in my post, trotting Miller on means it's almost always a run, but more than that because he doesn't have the pace Walker has we cannot use him with the same versatility, therefore the other team can still put 8 in the box and cover Miller if he leaks out as a check down.
They obviously are two very different QBs yet the offense still struggles. Does that suggest a coaching issue as much as a player issue?

When Smith did not "throw a receiver open" he was chastised for not throwing it away or taking a sack. Now Kaepernick is hesitant when he has a receiver open he is taking sacks and sometimes throwing it away. Same issue.

Everyone from Ray Ratto to Santa Claus (I can't think of any two more different) is blaming lack of quality receivers but Jonathan Baldwin caught 41 passes in two years in KC but can't even get on the field. He has been stuck behind Kyle Williams who is no longer on the team. If Matt Cassell can complete passes to Baldwin, what is wrong with Colin Kaepernick.

I believe a good part of the blame rests on The Great Quarterback Whisperer, Jim Harbaugh. I am no longer buying his resume. Josh Johnson was pretty good at San Diego but couldn't buy a seat on the bus in the NFL. Apparently what Harbaugh taught him had limitations. Andrew Luck was the best HS QB in the nation and he chose Stanford for academics as well as football (2 degrees IIRC). He had a great career there basically marshaling a college power running game with some nice passing. He had two years with Harbaugh and one with Dennis Shaw, during all of which he looked pretty much the same. Now he is with Indy and still doing great. I question how much of his success is credited to Harbaugh. Everyone talks about how Jim Harbaugh "saved" Alex Smith's career when all he did was recognize that Alex was the best option available, and he turned out to be a good one. However, any decent observer will record that Smith's career turned around when Mike Johnson replaced Jimmy Raye, not when Jim Harbaugh arrived. Alex was the same Alex before Harbaugh and is the same one now.

Now we come to Colin Kaepernick who is in his third year and is still having some of the same recognition problems he had in the first games we saw him play here. Yes, getting Crabtree back may help but he has had other receivers open yet failed to spot them and deliver the ball. So I am calling out Harbaugh to prove he is The Great Quarterback Whisperer. If Kaepernick was his handpicked guy (although rumor has it he would have preferred Andy Dalton) then it is time for him to make His Guy into the player we were led to believe he could be. Put a system on the field that includes multiple receivers that are in position to catch the ball, including short safety valves that take the pressure off the QB and allow him to develop.

Yes, the OL has allowed a lot of sacks but any system that spins around 5 and 7 step drops is going to put a lot of pressure in the OL. Go to quick drops with passing plays designed to beat pressure. This isn't rocket science. Just watch what Payton does in NO.

Yes, WR is a relative weakness but when Green Bay lost Finley and Cobb, Andrew Quarless and Jarrett Boykin step in and the machine rolls on. Kyle Williams may have been a false hope (although Alex Smith found him on occasion) but Baldwin shouldn't be. Time to look into the coaches lounge instead of just looking at players. We have become predictable and one-dimensional. Only one area to put that blame.

Couldn't have said it better myself. There is evidence of guys leaving the Niners and going to at least see the field for other teams. And I am not just talking about guys that left in the offseason, but guys that have been cut during the season. Lockett is helping up there in Seattle. I saw Marlon Moore on the field for Miami last night. I pray that they really do start changing their approach on handling personnel, and also play calling. Baalke has to be going crazy to see that none of the draft choices on offense are ever used.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Can someone please show me some video evidence of all these ghost-like deep passes I keep hearing about?

It is quite shocking that HaRoMan don't utilize the shorter passing plays to help dvelop a rhythm (except for that ONE Miller play) esp. against a team that is bringing heat successfully, b/c really, that is the philosophy of this offense...ground-focused game complimented by a nice, controlled, high percentage passing game that keeps the chains moving and the other team's offense on the bench (i.e. win the TOP game). It's run or intermediate pass almost 100% of the time.

its non existant we go away from the short passes for 6-7 yd gains, on Sunday we threw a slant to MM and a WR screen to KW both gained positive yards but should have been used earlier in the game, he went to short intermediate passes with the game on the line instead of coming out from the beginning and taking what the defense is giving us. So this goes to the arguement, I dont care if its KW, MM, Crabs if we traded for Gordon, if we have a certain personel grouping why dont we call plays to our strengths? its on Roman
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by dj43:

This.

Couldn't have said it better myself. There is evidence of guys leaving the Niners and going to at least see the field for other teams. And I am not just talking about guys that left in the offseason, but guys that have been cut during the season. Lockett is helping up there in Seattle. I saw Marlon Moore on the field for Miami last night. I pray that they really do start changing their approach on handling personnel, and also play calling. Baalke has to be going crazy to see that none of the draft choices on offense are ever used.

Oh come on. What is Lockett helping with exactly up in Seattle? And Marlon Moore also saw the field with the Niners; he just didn't do much here, just as he isn't doing much in Miami. What is AJ Jenkins doing in KC? The only player I see being a lot more productive on a different team is Ted Ginn. In any case, I agree somewhat that Harbaugh needs to show he is capable of helping Kap improve his play on the field. But he can't do everything for Kap; at some point Kap has to be held responsible for his end. They clearly have dumbed down the offense for him and are giving him very defined looks to make things simpler. Yet he is still struggling and turning in duds against decent defenses.

And as for the revisionist history regarding Harbaugh's work with QB's, I think it's a little off the mark. To deny Harbaugh's role in the development of the QB's that played for him is not very objective. Also, how exactly did Alex Smith begin his resurrection after the hiring of Mike Johnson as OC? Have you gone back and looked at some of the games Alex played then? Jim Harbaugh did a great job in playing to Alex Smith's strengths and hiding his weaknesses. Alex never had the type of success he had when Harbaugh was here. So while there is no doubt that Harbaugh has to do his part in improving this Niner pass offense, credit has to be given where it is due.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
funny how on around the horn all 4 columnist just defended kap and said that he really hasn't had a 2nd option and this wr core isn't one that any really good team would want.

but here that's not the case lol.

we have wr's that are best in quick hitting plays scheme that.
let them get in space and run.
how hard is that to do? apparently really hard. we have the worst offensive coordinator in the nfl when it comes to passing that can't be disputed.
exactly its like lining up Wes Welker as your flanker or split end and expecting the same results, he is a slot reciever and NE and DEN utilitize him this way. We can keep cutting players and saying this guy this, this guy cant do that but what it really comes down to is coaching and we should be the biggest testament to this (see. Smith, Alex) remember what everone said pre Harbaugh and look what happened we played to his strengths and asked him to stay within himself and he started to blossom.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Just heard Greg Cossell on KNBR......the arguement between Kaep and Wilson, Wilson is a much better pocket passer than Kaep and Wilson is playign behind an injured OL. Kaep is still learning. Also he has to learn how to throw receivers open or throw in anticipation that the receiver will be open. Right now he has no confidence (which we already know). Greg also said there is now way we win a SB without a passing game, not in today's NFL. To summarize our game against the Saints.....we're not going to win unless the offense can create explosive plays.

You can stop right there. However, the analysis goes much deeper. Darrell Bevell is a much more experienced, more effective play caller than Greg Roman. From the beginning Wilson was taught to look for multiple options. My goodness, does anyone think Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate are every going to even be included on a Pro Bowl ballot, much less elected to one. Jermaine Kearse, in his second season has averaged 18.9/catch with 4 TDs, and he is the #3 receiver. Zach Miller is the reliable TE that I hope McDonald will be someday. He is the safety valve and more. All of which gives Wilson a leg up on Kaepernick before they start.
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1199-why-i-wont-blame-kaepernick/

loved every second of this
Originally posted by SF9er05:
exactly its like lining up Wes Welker as your flanker or split end and expecting the same results, he is a slot reciever and NE and DEN utilitize him this way. We can keep cutting players and saying this guy this, this guy cant do that but what it really comes down to is coaching and we should be the biggest testament to this (see. Smith, Alex) remember what everone said pre Harbaugh and look what happened we played to his strengths and asked him to stay within himself and he started to blossom.

exactly the point. we don't have the personnel to run these long developing routes. we have quick hitting wr's

if anyone would like to take a look at the offense we could be running, look at the broncos offense. quick hitting patterns usually crossing or out routes with guys who aren't really fast.

and then they throw a deep pass every now and then.

and have scored off of simple screen passes that the wr's were able to take to the house.

we have the personnel to run this type of offense AND on top of that kill you with a unstoppable run game

AND run 2 te sets and kill you that way

there's no excuse for the lack of use for our players that we have. it speaks to the real issue which is when it comes to running when he does decide to run he's really good at it.

anything else when it comes to being imaginative or multiple personnel options on passing plays he has no clue.

he proves it every week he has no clue how to do it. there is a reason he's still here and not somewhere else as the head coach, it aint loyalty
Originally posted by real9erfan:
To deny Harbaugh's role in the development of the QB's that played for him is not very objective. Also, how exactly did Alex Smith begin his resurrection after the hiring of Mike Johnson as OC? Have you gone back and looked at some of the games Alex played then? Jim Harbaugh did a great job in playing to Alex Smith's strengths and hiding his weaknesses. Alex never had the type of success he had when Harbaugh was here. So while there is no doubt that Harbaugh has to do his part in improving this Niner pass offense, credit has to be given where it is due.
I am only looking at the before and after.

Yes, I have looked at Alex Smith before and after. Before Jimmy Raye and after (with Mike Johnson sequencing and calling the plays). Under Johnson his rating was 91 (overall 82 for the season). In 2011 it was 90. 2012 was 104. Clearly 2012 was higher but I would argue that was more the function of the rest of the team learning the offense well (Crabtree had his first full set of OTAs and training camp) and allowing Smith to do his thing. So Harbaugh had something to do with Smith's success but to say that "he turned his career around" is naively ignorant. (not say that is what you are doing)

But even if we are to accept that Harbaugh played a pivotal role in Johnson, Luck and Smith, where are the results with Colin Kaepernick? I know CK is a bright kid. I live within 20 miles of where he grew up and many people affirm he was a good student, very aware of his situation and concerned with others. He is not a "dumb jock." So either all that we know about Kaepernick's background is not accurate or he isn't getting effective coaching and being put in good situations on the field.

I blame Harbaugh. He is the guy with "HC" after his name. It all starts and ends with him. Roman doesn't call any plays or puts up game plans that Harbaugh does not approve. Just because he is miles better than Singletary doesn't mean he is some elite coach. He inherited a talented squad. He didn't develop it from nothing. I would put him somewhere between 7 and 10 in a list of NFL coaches. Good, not great. Time to step up.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by SF9er05:

exactly the point. we don't have the personnel to run these long developing routes. we have quick hitting wr's

if anyone would like to take a look at the offense we could be running, look at the broncos offense. quick hitting patterns usually crossing or out routes with guys who aren't really fast.

and then they throw a deep pass every now and then.

and have scored off of simple screen passes that the wr's were able to take to the house.

we have the personnel to run this type of offense AND on top of that kill you with a unstoppable run game

AND run 2 te sets and kill you that way

there's no excuse for the lack of use for our players that we have. it speaks to the real issue which is when it comes to running when he does decide to run he's really good at it.

anything else when it comes to being imaginative or multiple personnel options on passing plays he has no clue.

he proves it every week he has no clue how to do it. there is a reason he's still here and not somewhere else as the head coach, it aint loyalty
Ive said the same thing about Roman, there is a reason for 2 years we have advanced deep into the playoffs and no team has called knocking down the doors yet. The talking heads on tv give him waaaaaaaaaay more credit than he deserves at this point all we can hope for is that some team is desparate enough to hire this guy and we can move forward.
A lot of us mention the lack of slant patterns, but a few are run. The route I never see is utilized is the crossing route. Honest question, when was the last time the 49ers completed a crossing route? Any idea why they never run crossing routes? It seems like a high percentage play with possible RAC.