There are 240 users in the forums

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I'd say we coach it rather poorly, as our receiving targets generally sucked for years at finding an open spot on a "broken" play.

That's really not the point here though. To answer the question directly.....

When Kaep is at that moment of decision on his back step? These targets are at the finish point to their route... and they are often open. He takes his eyes down after one read and looks for pocket escape... so then the once open targets are stuck in "WTF should I do now?" mode, as they have no idea which direction their QB will go, if anywhere.

I know we disagree on this, so I'll just say that our receivers at the moment (if they are not the designated receiver) are only looking to find a soft spot after they have run their assignment as the decoy. I think, from waching our games multiple times though I don't have access to the coaches film, that they are being instructed to run a decoy route and then try to get open a the end of the decoy in the area of the field they are supposed to be in. That is why they don't come back on a broken play, though I think we both agree our WR coaching sucks, because their assignment is not to to do so, it's to complete the decoy route to clear the field for the designated receiver and then try and get open.

In regards to the decision point, on Sunday I don't think he even got a moment of decision because the Carolina blitzers were through the O line within 2 seconds. This has been an issue with both Alex and Kap in these horror games where our offense breaks down almost completely. I think that's also why Alex got the game manager, small ball, checkdown comments etc - because in pass protection our OLine is so bad that whoever is back there does not get enough time to come back to read the decoys when their route is complete if the designated receiver is covered.
[ Edited by Buchy on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM ]
Originally posted by 951NINER:
I honestly think Roman over thinks himself sometimes. Forget all the motion and shifting just line up and play. I mean he calls a read option run on 3rd and 1. Just get in the I formation and get that one fuuqin yard with Frank.

This.
oh did i mention our receivers suck and kaeps top weapons are hurt
lol

The spin of the Zoners to put the blame on the coaching staff at misusing Kaep The guys that hand picked Kaep and moved up to drafted him are now misusing Kaep's talent. Well since Kaep isn't hitting your fantasy numbers, Roman and Harbaugh must be misusing Kaep. Holy s**t. I love the Zone
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
lol

The spin of the Zoners to put the blame on the coaching staff at misusing Kaep The guys that hand picked Kaep and moved up to drafted him are now misusing Kaep's talent. Well since Kaep isn't hitting your fantasy numbers, Roman and Harbaugh must be misusing Kaep. Holy s**t. I love the Zone

you blame kaep for all of this?
kaep is not at the level yet where he makes the players around him better...he leans on crabtree boldin gore and vd to make plays. he will get there with more experience but the expectations for him are way too high because of last year. these problems start from the top and trickle down....sure hes to blame but so are many others on the team
lol

How is that spin? Is this is a quality NFL offense that is being called right now by the 49ers? I see better offensive playcalling from the Arizona Cardinals week in and week out. The 49ers have a dominant run-blocking line and a terrific RB, against lesser teams, the run and chuck it downfield approach works, against better teams, not so much. Where are the screens, the slants, the bootlets, the crossing patterns.....all the elements that a competent offense will find ways to utilize.

It's ignorant to suggest that Kaepernick solely is to blame for this when some of these same issues have been around for awhile. Why is that this offense continually struggles to hold up against heavy blitzing teams that cut off the run game? Since 2011 its been the same issue repeated and they still haven't adjusted to attack those kinds of defenses and back them off.
The REAL problem is fundementally grounded in the TYPE (anti-WCO) of offensive philosophy (non QB-friendly) this coaching staff adheres too...and HOW they currently run it (compartmentalized).

So really, the issue starts with that and then is reinforced by HaRoMan.

As a result, it affects CK's confidence in big-close games against good defenses (regression), the receivers including underutilization or non or mis-use of personnel and also, the offensive line.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
The REAL problem is fundementally grounded in the TYPE (anti-WCO) of offensive philosophy (non QB-friendly) this coaching staff adheres too...and HOW they currently run it (compartmentalized).

So really, the issue starts with that and then is reinforced by HaRoMan.

As a result, it affects CK's confidence in big-close games against good defenses (regression), the receivers including underutilization or non or mis-use of personnel and also, the offensive line.

Once again, it seems like Harbaugh wants an offense centered around the run, with the QB making deep passes off of playaction to keep the defense back, its the sort of offense that used to be run by the Bears and the Colts when Harbaugh was with both teams, the issue is this, the 49ers have no real deep threats other than VD, an offensive line that struggles to pass block and a young QB whose confidence is shaken. Instead of 5-7 step drops and having him try to play "chuck and duck", make things easier for him, get him more options in the passing game, call screens, short quick slants, having him sprint out on a bootleg, let Kaepernick be Kaepernick.

This system is setup currently for a crusty veteran QB with a big arm, not a guy who has barely started a season's worth of games in the NFL. Go back to the offense they ran in 2011, force defenses to play honest, don't allow them to blitz so often without consequence, beat them up with the running game, screens, short passes, dink and dunk them and THEN go for the kill shot downfield when they've been softened up.

This offense couldn't be any further away from the WCO at this point, but it always wasn't like that, certainly not in 2011.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM ]
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
lol

Injuries and lack of receiver talent and inexperience of young Kaep. I don't think coaching staff has a major role in this. They are doing what they can with what they have.

Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
lol

Injuries and lack of receiver talent and inexperience of young Kaep. I don't think coaching staff has a major role in this. They are doing what they can with what they have.

i agree with the injuries, lack of wr talent and inexperience of kaep...but the coaching staff is not utilizing all of our players and needs to be more creative passing and in the redzone stilllll
lol

yes the same coaching staff that kept kyle williams in for half a season
the same coaching staff that has yet to use macdonald other than blocking get his feet wet in the system or even use him as a passing option in the red zone
the same coaching staff that decides that the only way to pass is to get the ball to vernon or boldin and everyone else isn't required?
the same coaching staff that couldn't figure out a way to get lamichael james into games for half of the season?
the same that stuck with kyle williams and then replaced him with anthony davis on kick returns.. anthony davis?

these same guys couldn't possibly be missuing kap? lol

ok buddy
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
lol

the same coaching staff that has yet to use macdonald other than blocking get his feet wet in the system or even use him as a passing option in the red zone
the same coaching staff that decides that the only way to pass is to get the ball to vernon or boldin and everyone else isn't required?
the same coaching staff that couldn't figure out a way to get lamichael james into games for half of the season?
the same that stuck with kyle williams and then replaced him with anthony davis on kick returns.. anthony davis?

ok buddy

What's there to misuse Last year when Kaep came in as starter, they had already used his repertoire of his running ability. This year Kaep should be a bit more familiar and more involved in the passing game. But injuries plague our receiving core. We are seeing a young qb struggling to learn the game, yes he's still learning the game, with lesser receiving type of talent. They need a receiving group that has different type of talent combination. That should include-- speed, size, quickness, smart, young and veteran. Right now it's not complete. The passing offense is struggling because of these more than what the coaching staff is doing during the game.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

ok buddy

You forgot.........the same coaching staff that inexplicably stops running the ball when Gore is averaging 7.5 yards a carry.
What's there to misuse Last year when Kaep came in as starter, they had already used his repertoire of his running ability. This year Kaep should be a bit more familiar and more involved in the passing game. But injuries plague our receiving core. We are seeing a young qb struggling to learn the game, yes he's still learning the game, with lesser receiving type of talent. They need a receiving group that has different type of talent combination. That should include-- speed, size, quickness, smart, young and veteran. Right now it's not complete. The passing offense is struggling because of these more than what the coaching staff is doing during the game.

The passing offense is struggling primarily because they are running a slightly more creative variant of the Jimmy Raye offense at this point. The playcalling has become entire too predictable and rather than forcing defenses to change what they are doing, this offense is tailor-made to allow defense's like Carolina's to stay in their comfort zone and play the game they want it played.
Share 49ersWebzone