There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

• xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

when we moved up to draft him, i said ya better get used to heartbreaking drops here and there, because that's what's on his film. like vernon, he doesn't have naturally good hands. he's going to drop a pass every game or two; he always has.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Hitman49:
Everyone saying that Alex is having the last laugh....needs to stop....Put Kap on the Chiefs and they still would be undefeated (they have had a soft schedule)...and put Smith on the niners and we would still be 6-3(or worst I don't think Smith puts up 400yds on the Pack)...

As much as I like Kaepernick's potential, he has never shown the ability to throw the short-to-medium touch passes that Smith makes a living on. With Kaepernick playing like he has most of this season, KC is 7-2. Those ball control, clock eating 4th quarter drives that have preserved victories for KC and not part of CK's inventory yet.

Originally posted by xcfan:
when we moved up to draft him, i said ya better get used to heartbreaking drops here and there, because that's what's on his film. like vernon, he doesn't have naturally good hands. he's going to drop a pass every game or two; he always has.

So far he's been a big downgrade from Walker. Walker also drops his share of passes, but at least he made himself available to the QB by getting open more often.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

So far he's been a big downgrade from Walker. Walker also drops his share of passes, but at least he made himself available to the QB by getting open more often.

a down grade should be expected, walker is the tight end version of alex smith, he became super important to the team, but he wasnt doing it out of the gate. he was entering 6th pro season when harbaugh arrived.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran

answer this question: have you ever seen a team whose receiving crew was so inept at getting open?

i'll cut vance a little slack because he's a rookie.
manningham can get open, but it will be a while before he's in starting form.
boldin can't get open, but he just manhandles the situation half the time, so it's on kaep to be very accurate to boldin.
every other wide receiver we have is smelly garbage.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
2 possibilities. Either Kaepernick is absolutely a moron that can barely tie his own shoes or the coaching staff, particularly the OC has no clue how to call or plan an NFL style offense.

Kap does come across as pretty dumb.

answer this question: have you ever seen a team whose receiving crew was so inept at getting open?

boldin can't get open, but he just manhandles the situation half the time, so it's on kaep to be very accurate to boldin.

To answer your question, not since our 2007 team have I seen a receiving core struggle this much to get open.

I cut Vance some slack too because he's a rookie, and the way we use him is drastically different from how he played in college. At Rice he was basically a jumbo-sized slot receiver. Now he's playing Walker's old swiss army knife role and blocking 60% of the time. It's a big adjustment.

I thought Manningham looked pretty good considering the long layoff.

When Davis left the game, it was a double punch to the nuts because that puts Boldin in situations where he gets bracketed in coverage. He already has trouble shaking man coverage on the outside with his lack of speed. When he's the focal point of the defense it becomes even tougher for him. We need VD out there to create space from him to work.
A lot of you have touched on this, but it's definitely true - either our coaches are incapable of properly utilizing talent and making adjustments during the games OR our players have significant limitations that prevent them from being used on Sundays or prevent our coaches from calling certain plays. So, it's either our coaches are too dumb to recognize what is plainly obvious or our front office has drafted and signed players that are not ready to play. Either way ... not good.

To answer your question, not since our 2007 team have I seen a receiving core struggle this much to get open.

I cut Vance some slack too because he's a rookie, and the way we use him is drastically different from how he played in college. At Rice he was basically a jumbo-sized slot receiver. Now he's playing Walker's old swiss army knife role and blocking 60% of the time. It's a big adjustment.

I thought Manningham looked pretty good considering the long layoff.

When Davis left the game, it was a double punch to the nuts because that puts Boldin in situations where he gets bracketed in coverage. He already has trouble shaking man coverage on the outside with his lack of speed. When he's the focal point of the defense it becomes even tougher for him. We need VD out there to create space from him to work.

It's sad but we have not had a good passing offense since the Mooch days. I could be wrong but I don't think we have had a team in the top ten in passing in almost ten years.

And I don't think anyone is asking for that. I just think that people want a pass offense that is good enough to keep pressure off the run game and defense.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Nov 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM ]
As much as I like Kaepernick's potential, he has never shown the ability to throw the short-to-medium touch passes that Smith makes a living on. With Kaepernick playing like he has most of this season, KC is 7-2. Those ball control, clock eating 4th quarter drives that have preserved victories for KC and not part of CK's inventory yet.

Which is absolute garbage. Did he not lead a drive that used up almost 10 minutes of clock, starting in the 3rd and killing off almost the entire 4th quarter to boot against AZ?

Kaepernick looked just fine leading long back-breaking drives against the Cardinals and the Rams. Peopled need to stop pulling nonsense out of their wazoo's, it just gets more and more ridiculous. At this point people are saying pretty much anything to cast dispersions on him, no matter how ridiculous.
rhymes with nap
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:
rhymes with nap

That's just silly, Roman doesn't rhyme with nap. Bowman, Froman, Willie Loman, c'mon try to keep up.
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by Hitman49:
Everyone saying that Alex is having the last laugh....needs to stop....Put Kap on the Chiefs and they still would be undefeated (they have had a soft schedule)...and put Smith on the niners and we would still be 6-3(or worst I don't think Smith puts up 400yds on the Pack)...

This is a worthless venture. The hardcore kaep fans will blast you for it..and even if you are right, what do we have to gain from it?
Originally posted by Niners99:
Thread full of Niner fans going full potato.

Kap is a young QB. Hes not going to be playing like Aaron Rodgers. All the same people who were too uneducated to see the many problems surrounding Alex Smith, are now coming back in the form of Kap bashers. Pathetic.
People slammed Alex for bad performances..why shouldn't Kaep get slammed? He's earned it. LOL at the "many problems" though.

A QB is limited by his supporting cast. Kap doesnt have the experience/reps to take over the game by himself. When his line sucks, his WR cant get open, and his mismatch TE leaves with an injury, what do you expect from him?
One game where the line was bad..and that was all in the 2nd half...what about the first half? His WRs WERE getting open.

Our fans are so spoiled we cant see the forest through the trees. We JUST got out of a decade long slump, and were complaining about losing 10-9 to a good team? STFU.

That score was deceptive...it should have been a lot worse. We had our asses handed to us in the 2nd half.
I absolutely don't want Davis or Celek out

But, if there is a silver lining here we can't rely on the TEs all the time. We'll have to go 3 / 4 Wrs. Or, Roman will continue to do his 1 WR sets

Hey G-Ro (or is it Mark Roman) start letting Kaep sling it like last year

If our Offense is like that against the Saints, we are in big trouble