LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

Originally posted by midrdan:
The number one problem on offense is that they do not use their most talented offensive personnel effectively. As a group, our RBs are more talented than our TEs and our WRs. But we do not use them the right way or, in the case of James, at all.

1. Use James. He is probably the best of our RBs out of the pistol set. He ran out of that set in college and has a feel for the timing. He is also our best RB at getting wide and stretching the field from sideline to sideline.

2. Use more two back sets. All three of our RBs can catch the ball.

3. Call more swings, screens, drags, and slants. Our passing attack emphasizes vertical and sideline routes. Attack the middle of the field with slants and drags, have more check down options for our young QB.

impossible to do with roman who knows all
  • dj43
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by dj43:
So, make your case here. I just think the design of this offense is limiting Kaepernick's development. And that is not to say he does not share the blame for not looking for other receivers. He should be doing that much better than he is if he is to become an elite QB. The fact he appears to have made little progress in that area this season tells me it is a coaching/design issue.

My case was made here, and now, I must sleep. Check the % of the last game in bold on how many "one-read" "clear-out" plays we ran.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/175651-solution-to-the-wr-problem/page4/

I am going to look at the coach's film on Rewind when I get some time. What I have observed in the past is that there is typically one receiver who is obviously looking to get open while others (1-3) are positioning themselves to block rather than get open. Sometimes it is pretty subtle, other times very obvious. That APPEARS to be what is happening most of the time. On other occasions, there have been receivers open but CK did not see them or chose not to throw to them. However, those were the exceptions IMO. Thanks for your work.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
So offense was good last year when Kap stepped in....no receivers is the only answer
I am surprised that no one is bringing up the field goals, especially the one before half time. You lose when you play not to lose. You have to play to win, three field goals in a row is unacceptable. All around terrible team game and poorly coached.
[ Edited by SneakySniper on Nov 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM ]
Thread full of Niner fans going full potato.

Kap is a young QB. Hes not going to be playing like Aaron Rodgers. All the same people who were too uneducated to see the many problems surrounding Alex Smith, are now coming back in the form of Kap bashers. Pathetic.

A QB is limited by his supporting cast. Kap doesnt have the experience/reps to take over the game by himself. When his line sucks, his WR cant get open, and his mismatch TE leaves with an injury, what do you expect from him?

Our fans are so spoiled we cant see the forest through the trees. We JUST got out of a decade long slump, and were complaining about losing 10-9 to a good team? STFU.
We have a running QB, who seems injured to me, not running well at all. We have a pathetic back up QB so coaches wisely don't risk running our injured Qb lest he becomes broken. We HAD a running game that relied on power to set up misdirection, but perhaps our young QB lacks the ball handling skills to run all of our running plays. We lack a deep threat, and have a QB who looks more comfortable throwing the long ball than dumping it off. We have a "bell cow" that runs best between the tackles out of the I formation, and an Offensive line that looks great blocking in power schemes, but looks average to poor at blocking stretch, counter, and toss plays, rendering our two speedy backs next to useless. Have I missed much?
Originally posted by VA49er:
For me the game was 100% on Roman. It could be Kaepernick too. Depending. But ultimately Roman. We refused to just take what their D was giving us and move the chains. Constantly looking to hit a home run. There could have been instances where Kaep was audibling to big plays but I don't think so. The play calling from our own end zone was unbelievably risky in a close game. Frank Gore was getting 5 per carry. We needed to lead with the run and look for the quik passes first with deep reads being the secondary option. We tried to play over top of those guys but it just wasn't working. We really were a couple of plays away from breaking that game open, and that is on a number of people but we were in a grind of a game and we didnt' grind it out.

And therein lies the rub, If the game plan is executed and 1 or 2 of those big plays happens, we win, and everyone is talking about catching the chickens of the sea.
But fortunately or unfortunately that didn't happen, and it has exposed the fundamental weakness of our offense. We have no short, intermediate passing game, and getting 12 yards when we need 14 doesn't count. You need this to beat a pass rush. I don't care how good pass rush is, if the ball is out in 3 steps, the ball is out.

But now it's frank (love ya), or vd on wheel or seam route, and thats about it. (Don't get me started on how or #1 TE can't find hole in zone or use body to block out on a curl route. Every catch doesn't need to be 40 yard td Vern.) Stop that and you stop the Niners. Easy blueprint, everyone has it, not everyone can do it, but everyone knows it.

Now what causes the weakness? Is it because of design? Or is it because Kaep can't make the quick decision throw? No one knows, because we are not at practice, where this stuff is sorted out and we are not even trying it in the game, so nothing to go on there as well.

Only 3 losses, not so bad, loads of room for improvement, wild card is well in hand, and who knows maybe sea chickens chakras will become unaligned, and put an end to those lucky ass b******t plays they constantly get.
[ Edited by RMuTT1981 on Nov 11, 2013 at 2:11 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
At least Alex sees the open guy and hits him in the hands with the football. Last game KC had 5 drops including a sure 50+ TD that McCluster dropped. A 35 yard throw that hit him in stride, right in his hands…and he dropped it. …but I digress...

Excellent throw. Perhaps the best throw Kaepernick has made in 3-4 weeks.

McDonald has been a disappointment to me. If you are going to move up in the draft to pick a receiver in the 2nd round, he should be contributing a lot more than McDonald is now. He often struggles while blocking and that is a problem because they rarely put him on a legit passing route. He is usually the pick runner or clear-out guy when he does go out.
It was a pretty bad game. It happens. All this will be forgotten when we beat the Saints and Seattle again.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Hitman49:
Everyone saying that Alex is having the last laugh....needs to stop....Put Kap on the Chiefs and they still would be undefeated (they have had a soft schedule)...and put Smith on the niners and we would still be 6-3(or worst I don't think Smith puts up 400yds on the Pack)...

As much as I like Kaepernick's potential, he has never shown the ability to throw the short-to-medium touch passes that Smith makes a living on. With Kaepernick playing like he has most of this season, KC is 7-2. Those ball control, clock eating 4th quarter drives that have preserved victories for KC and not part of CK's inventory yet.

Originally posted by RMuTT1981:
And therein lies the rub, If the game plan is executed and 1 or 2 of those big plays happens, we win, and everyone is talking about catching the chickens of the sea.
But fortunately or unfortunately that didn't happen, and it has exposed the fundamental weakness of our offense. We have no short, intermediate passing game, and getting 12 yards when we need 14 doesn't count. You need this to beat a pass rush. I don't care how good pass rush is, if the ball is out in 3 steps, the ball is out.

But now it's frank (love ya), or vd on wheel or seam route, and thats about it. (Don't get me started on how or #1 TE can't find hole in zone or use body to block out on a curl route. Every catch doesn't need to be 40 yard td Vern.) Stop that and you stop the Niners. Easy blueprint, everyone has it, not everyone can do it, but everyone knows it.

Now what causes the weakness? Is it because of design? Or is it because Kaep can't make the quick decision throw? No one knows, because we are not at practice, where this stuff is sorted out and we are not even trying it in the game, so nothing to go on there as well.

Only 3 losses, not so bad, loads of room for improvement, wild card is well in hand, and who knows maybe sea chickens chakras will become unaligned, and put an end to those lucky ass b******t plays they constantly get.

"Must be nice living in never never land. Maybe I'll visit you sometime when I need a break from reality." Grumpy old men

I'm just not as optimistic about this and I usually am. That was a pathetic offensive performance. Pathetic for any team let alone a professional team with Superbowl aspirations. Lack of targets, qb play, play calling, and execution are turning out to be a much bigger problem whether or not people want to admit it.
Your "the sky is not falling" optimism is admirable but IMO this a serious problem. That performance yesterday outside of the defense and #21 is a very serious problem. We've tried winning the superbowl with just defense and running game before and didn't work then and it wont work now. We just don't have the skill players outside or the qb to get it to them.
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
I've never heard of a passing offense in the NFL where you only give your QB one read?

Sooo This.
I was thinking the same exact thing when I was reading some of these posts. If you're only given one read then we have a high school offense.
Witch is what we have LOL

Hard to disagree on that one! Lol.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
At least Alex sees the open guy and hits him in the hands with the football. Last game KC had 5 drops including a sure 50+ TD that McCluster dropped. A 35 yard throw that hit him in stride, right in his hands…and he dropped it. …but I digress...

Excellent throw. Perhaps the best throw Kaepernick has made in 3-4 weeks.

McDonald has been a disappointment to me. If you are going to move up in the draft to pick a receiver in the 2nd round, he should be contributing a lot more than McDonald is now. He often struggles while blocking and that is a problem because they rarely put him on a legit passing route. He is usually the pick runner or clear-out guy when he does go out.

Agree
  • buck
  • Veteran
Pretty dismal offensive performance.

We are now 6-3.

The objective is to make the play-offs. I think we do.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
we should have signed Manning

This defense + Manning wins the Super Bowl. Maybe 2 years in a row. This QB. 1 and done in the playoffs as a wild card. Maybe we won't even make the playoffs as crazy as it sounds. If all we can muster is 92 yards passing I could see losing a lot more games.

we signed Alex Smith instead

If I recall correctly, people didn't want Peyton because he would cost too much and we'd end up losing some good defensive players. Turns out, the great defense we have doesn't matter when the offense can't even put up 10 points.

This defense, even without Aldon, has been great. Even without Willis, it was great. But without a passing game, we lose to an opponent that put up a whopping 10 points. Pathetic.
Share 49ersWebzone