There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by cris_sonic:

Have to post this up after watching yesterday lackluster passing performance against Carolina. #WakeUpCall

yes because Alex would've lit up the Panthers...like he has been lighting teams up lately with his "passing performances".

its easy to point to KC's undefeated record, which has alot to do with their defense and special teams....but if think current Alex or past Alex + Roman's play calling would've generated a non lackluster passing performance against one of the defense that gives up the fewest points in the league. Then sorry to tell you..yeaaaah about that.

Conjecture. On both parts.
It's "all the above", but I've got to say that the O-line is one of the most overrated I've seen. Kap has been pressured all year and Gore has made them look better in the run game by making something out of nothing, over and over again. I truly don't get this love affair people have for our O-line. I'll give them "good', but "great"? Sorry, just don't see it.
Play calling has been mystifying at times,esp the tendency to give up on what's working and adjusting to the other team's adjustments.
Other than flashes here and there, Kap has slumped somewhat; not seeing the rare open receiver, passes off target. Frustrating.
Yeah, other than Davis and Boldin, what do we have? However, as ordinary as the other receivers are, they do get open occasionally, but Kap simply doesn't see them, or is too focused on the aforementioned dynamic duo.
It's starting to look like wild card time, the way the breaks have been falling Seattle's way.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

LOL, not really, Alex with an average passer rating of sub 70 over the past 4 or 5 games isn't setting anything on fire.
Originally posted by sfout:
We beat the 2011 Browns 20-10 thanks to our D forcing 5 fumbles, recovering 1 of them, sacking McCoy 4 times and an OL that paved the way for 170+ yard day on the ground and only gave up 1 sack

tied the 2012 rams but we were on our way to loss until Alex got injured and the spark/mystique of Kaepernick playing every down gave us 2 TDs and a stout ground game gave us 180 yards. We gave up 5 sacks 2 with Alex, 3 with Kaepernick. D only got to Bradford for 2 sacks.

Then there was yesterday's abomination.

Bye-weeks hurt our team. Even periods of rest from Thursday night games to the next game lead to slow starts, bad ST play, etc.

Don't know if it is even fixable but we are a bad team when given extra time to prepare.

So what you're telling me is that the coaching staff is filled with heavily under medicated individuals with severe ADD?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

LOL, not really, Alex with an average passer rating of sub 70 over the past 4 or 5 games isn't setting anything on fire.

So you believe that the Chiefs have as much talent on their offense, should know their playbook as well, and have the same chemistry among the players as the 9er offense?

Edit: Just looked...your comment isn't true either..it's low..but it's not sub 70...and Kaep isn't looking much better.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Nov 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
yes because Alex would've lit up the Panthers...like he has been lighting teams up lately with his "passing performances".

its easy to point to KC's undefeated record, which has alot to do with their defense and special teams....but if think current Alex or past Alex + Roman's play calling would've generated a non lackluster passing performance against one of the defense that gives up the fewest points in the league. Then sorry to tell you..yeaaaah about that.

THAT IS THE ANSWER

In a game that screamed for slants, screens, short over-the-middle passes, Roman called none of that. In fact, that has been the gaping hole in this offense all season long. Those passes are the heart-and-soul of the WCO and they are what take pressure off the QB and open up the run game.

Alex Smith may not be the answer but the type of passes he throws well ARE the answer. It seems as though Harbaugh stubbornly refuses to endorse that type of offense because it is what Alex does, and since Harbaugh decided to go with Kaepernick he will NOT use the stuff that Alex does just because Alex does it.

I know that may be an overstatement but it calls out the stubbornness of this coaching staff.
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Kap. all signs point to his inability to be more than a one read QB.

He isn't given more than one read on most plays. That is the design of this passing offense. It is restricting not only the team but the development of Kaepernick.

We have discussed this for weeks and it is still the same.
Originally posted by dj43:

He isn't given more than one read on most plays. That is the design of this passing offense. It is restricting not only the team but the development of Kaepernick.

that assessment is still very wrong... sorry.. I like both you and NC... but it's wrong.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

that assessment is still very wrong... sorry.. I like both you and NC... but it's wrong.

I've never heard of a passing offense in the NFL where you only give your QB one read?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

At least Alex sees the open guy and hits him in the hands with the football. Last game KC had 5 drops including a sure 50+ TD that McCluster dropped. A 35 yard throw that hit him in stride, right in his hands…and he dropped it. …but I digress...
Originally posted by 951NINER:

I've never heard of a passing offense in the NFL where you only give your QB one read?

There may be more than one "receiver" in the pattern but when the other receivers begin blocking (often illegally but not being called for it) even before the ball reaches the receiver it tells me that there was only one designed target on that play.

I have looked at a lot of passing plays over the past weeks and it is clear to see one receiver working to get open while the others run right at the DB and position themselves to block well before the ball is even thrown. So while that is not a bad thing, when it is the dominant theme of the passing game, it becomes very limiting.

So, make your case here. I just think the design of this offense is limiting Kaepernick's development. And that is not to say he does not share the blame for not looking for other receivers. He should be doing that much better than he is if he is to become an elite QB. The fact he appears to have made little progress in that area this season tells me it is a coaching/design issue.
So, make your case here. I just think the design of this offense is limiting Kaepernick's development. And that is not to say he does not share the blame for not looking for other receivers. He should be doing that much better than he is if he is to become an elite QB. The fact he appears to have made little progress in that area this season tells me it is a coaching/design issue.

My case was made here, and now, I must sleep. Check the % of the last game in bold on how many "one-read" "clear-out" plays we ran.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/175651-solution-to-the-wr-problem/page4/

Originally posted by 951NINER:

Sooo This.
I was thinking the same exact thing when I was reading some of these posts. If you're only given one read then we have a high school offense.
Here's my biggest question to Harbaugh and Roman. Doesn't it make sense to work on the areas in which we are the weakest? It's obvious that we can run the football. Doesn't seem like we need to spend much time practicing run blocking. Instead I'd have Kaepernick practicing 3 step drops, getting rid of the ball quickly and focusing on pass patterns that are designed to net 10-20 yards. MAKE HIM practice throwing to Williams, Baldwin and Manningham so he can get comfortable with them. You practice over and over and over again until they get it right.

We cannot succeed as a one trick pony and unless we start picking up intermediate pass plays this ship will sink. All you need to do is look how Carolina was successful the second half doing the exact same thing against us ie 10-20 yard passing patterns.

Come on Roman, this doesn't seem like a tall order to fill but yet it doesn't seem to get addressed.