There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Hayes4Dayes:
I sure hope Harbaugh and Roman are not over-thinking things and trying to "hide" certain aspects of our offense until the playoffs, similar to the read option with Green Bay last year. If so, they need to swallow their pride real quick, we are going to be in a fight to reach the playoffs


Hides things until the playoffs ?! Are you serious ? At this rate, we might not even make it as a wildcard. LOL.

Even if we lose against the Saints, beat the Skins, and Hawks at the stick.......a wildcard is still 50/50. Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Carolina are all teams that can get the wildcard and honestly have way better offensive production than the niners do right now.

If they are really hiding things for the playoffs.....that is one ridiculous game plan. Your jeapordizing playoff hopes by doing that. Beat on the weak and hopefully win against the playoff teams.....great gameplan.
Originally posted by facestabber:

I'm not interested in the Kap vs Alex camp. I just wanna know what is happening to my beloved 49ers.

Feel the same way. This is no longer about KC or Alex. This is about what the **** do we have at QB, and can it be fixed.

As I am watching again, and happy to go play by play with anyone... I can easily tell that the excuses are wild and unsupportable. The run game is working... we are getting turnovers with great D... our QB just had a really awful game with lots of awful decision-making. It's as simple as that. None of this means that there is no hope for Kaep... but the dude has been having real issues with the basics of playing QB.

Seems we did get away from the run game later in the game... and that can't happen when Gore is popping off 5+ yds on average... but there's really only so much blame that falls to the coaches on this.
The 49ers need to change their offensive philosophy to 'positive yards'. I will take a 5 yd completion to a low percentage incompletion any day. Chip away and frustrate a defense instead of playing right into their friggin plans
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Hayes4Dayes:
I sure hope Harbaugh and Roman are not over-thinking things and trying to "hide" certain aspects of our offense until the playoffs, similar to the read option with Green Bay last year. If so, they need to swallow their pride real quick, we are going to be in a fight to reach the playoffs


Hides things until the playoffs ?! Are you serious ? At this rate, we might not even make it as a wildcard. LOL.

Even if we lose against the Saints, beat the Skins, and Hawks at the stick.......a wildcard is still 50/50. Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Carolina are all teams that can get the wildcard and honestly have way better offensive production than the niners do right now.

If they are really hiding things for the playoffs.....that is one ridiculous game plan. Your jeapordizing playoff hopes by doing that. Beat on the weak and hopefully win against the playoff teams.....great gameplan.


I predicted a 10-6 season from the word go when everyone laid into me. The question is will we get there and if we do, will it be enough ? Hmm...
3rd down playmakers were off the field.
The ghost of Jimmy Raye haunts the locker room. Our once complex and multiple run game, fly-sweeps, tosses, quick counters, and reverses, has melted down to Frank high in I running iso. Our passing game once underpowered due to a lack of talent, is now crippled by a lack of imagination…someone call an exorcist!
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,109
What I noticed from what I able to watch from my phone yesterday was a short yardage situations where bad play calls and penalties killed the drives. When we did try to pass i didn't see anyone left to pick up the extra rusher. When Kaep did have time he was either holding the ball to long or the receivers weren't getting open. I couldn't tell which was true. If you notice we were shut out after Davis went out with a concussion. This team needs Crabtree back desperately. Oh and we can't beat good teams.
why cant we dump the ball off to are running backs more ? all 3 can catch. Thought we did it acouple times and we got positive yards. Frustrating day hope for better next week.
Originally posted by mmoyer04:
why cant we dump the ball off to are running backs more ? all 3 can catch. Thought we did it acouple times and we got positive yards. Frustrating day hope for better next week.

Times where we needed to dump the ball to the backs as relief valves for the blitz? nope.
Times where we needed to throw deeper to WRs/TE to convert 3rd and long? checkdown to the backs and punt!

Originally posted by calbear:
The WRs are terrible.

We do not throw the ball down filed because Kap doesn't trust the WRs and Roman doesn't call effective passing plays.

This. Except I would add that the coaching staff clearly does not trust Kap after the Seahawks and Colts fiasco... There seems to be a general level of distrust from the coaching staff to the QB all the way down
You can only blame the WR's and pass blocking for so long. Kaep has just not been very good this season period. He's been benefitting from our running game. Good defenses have continued to show his true colors since he came into the league and I just refused to believe it. He was under duress yesterday but he had plenty of time. While the play calling was not good, there are worse teams doing more with less. I have lost all confidence in our qb and if he plays this way against NO we lose by 3 scores or more. Absolutely pathetic performance for everyone outside of Gore and the Oline run blocking. Kaepernick made the pass blocking look much worse than it should have. Get rid of the GD ball!!!! On one play he watched the safety blitz come right at him the whole time and STILL took the sack. Our passing offense is embarrassing. Kaep and the coaches need to be held accountable.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
The ghost of Jimmy Raye haunts the locker room. Our once complex and multiple run game, fly-sweeps, tosses, quick counters, and reverses, has melted down to Frank high in I running iso. Our passing game once underpowered due to a lack of talent, is now crippled by a lack of imagination…someone call an exorcist!

I've wondered about the evolution of Roman as a play caller. It seems he was more creative a couple of years ago and has been reduced (by opposing defensive coordinators?) to someone who has no answer but for ISO and WHAM plays to Gore and play action to Davis. I mean for Christ's sake I saw one slant pattern all game despite the Panthers DB's playing almost 10 yards off the line, a pass to Manningham for a 1st down on a 3rd and long.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Nov 11, 2013 at 6:52 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,290
Originally posted by Rascal:
I predicted a 10-6 season from the word go when everyone laid into me. The question is will we get there and if we do, will it be enough ? Hmm...

A 10-6 record only happens if the 49ers had serious issues... Which it seems now they do.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Feel the same way. This is no longer about KC or Alex. This is about what the **** do we have at QB, and can it be fixed.

As I am watching again, and happy to go play by play with anyone... I can easily tell that the excuses are wild and unsupportable. The run game is working... we are getting turnovers with great D... our QB just had a really awful game with lots of awful decision-making. It's as simple as that. None of this means that there is no hope for Kaep... but the dude has been having real issues with the basics of playing QB.

Seems we did get away from the run game later in the game... and that can't happen when Gore is popping off 5+ yds on average... but there's really only so much blame that falls to the coaches on this.
^^ This..
Personally i blame Jim Harbaugh, Why? because He is the head coach. Poor Play calling (By Roman) unable to make half time adjustments (Harbaugh.Roman) i mean our defense held them to 10 points... Defense is NOT the problem...We've known from week 1 that we were limited at WR. So either you get creative with the talent you have or you stink up the joint like we have been. I dont understand how Bellichek can make rookie WR look good.. OR have the Jaguars who have won 1 game with no name WRs catch the ball but we simply make excuses for Kaep and say "He has no one to throw it too" .. This is the NFL. If the blitz was coming or pressure to the QB was coming why not have quick slants? Thats not a Kaep issue but more so a Roman issue. None the less something has to give... this kid is looking more and more like a one hit wonder UNTIL proven otherwise.
My 2 Cents.
-DW
It's not just the play calls, it's the whole damn game plan. Time and time again the offensive coaches fail to adjust. Keep in mind that they had the entire bi-week to prepare and all they could muster is 9 points, this after the defense gives them three turnovers and 4 sacks. If you can't win when your defense holds a team to 10 points, you've got major issues and won't go very far in the play-offs if you even make them at all.