LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

I feel like I'm watching our old offense when Alex smith was playing

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SashRoxx-1:
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Kap is reminding me of the pre-2009 Alex Smith. Which sucks because I thought that somehow our karma balanced out that since we waited so long for Alex to develop that somehow we skipped that entirely with Kap with how he hit the ground running last season. Oh well, it was just a tease... now we have to go through growing pains of a young QB again.

Alex sucked when he had no experience as a starter... and when he turned the experience corner in 2009 he was a little bit better but still limited by his physical ability. The 49ers still didn't have success with him until 2 years later with Harbaugh. The struggles of a young QB suck, but I think last year gave us a preview of what is coming when Kap turns that experience corner and the mental part of the game surpasses his physical ability. It will be a lot like the Steve Young years. Just disappointing that Gore, Justin, maybe even VD... will probably no longer be 49ers when Kap's mental game catches up with his physical game. I really wanted those guys to leave this team as champions.
So you think it was A Smiths fault that the Niners were so bad? You don't think it was the rest of the teams fault maybe? Not saying it WASNT A Smiths fault but look at the guy that they passed up in the draft A Rodgers He not only got to sit and learn in GB for a while but the packers were a superior team to the Niners A Smith was a rookie that got thrown into the fire playing behind a LOUSY O Line had K Barlow as the starting RB...NO WRs at all B Lloyd was the featured receiver and a defense that well I don't know how to explain that defense but like I said in an earlier post most High Schools could have beaten the Niners back then. Wasn't A Smiths faukt that he had a WORTHLESS OLine or no RB til F Gore took over and NO receivers...

It was mostly Alex Smith's fault that the passing offense was bad in those early years... yes. The QB is ultimately responsible. He was a young QB who struggled and as he struggled the passing offense struggled. It happens. You even listed a lot of the reasons why Smith struggled as a young QB on the field. The unstable front office and coaching staff are two other things I'd cite. Stuff out of his control.

Now, Kap is struggling and so is the passing offense. If we are 32nd in the league with Kap playing this poorly, yes, he deserves a good chunk of the blame. I understand some things like injuries are out of Kap's control. I just accept that he is struggling, and it isn't a big deal to me because he just made his 16th regular season start. Most of Kap's struggles are directly related to his lack of experience, if not arguably all of it. For me, it is easy to see that he is in over his head when it comes to the mental aspect of the game.
[ Edited by threelittlebirds on Nov 10, 2013 at 8:02 PM ]
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
I'm not so sure we can say his struggles are due to a lack of experience. He was better last year with less experience. He was great against GB, just 2 months ago.

Right now its mental with this guy. I hope he can overcome it, otherwise its a lost year.
Originally posted by A-R-S:
I'm not so sure we can say his struggles are due to a lack of experience. He was better last year with less experience. He was great against GB, just 2 months ago.

Right now its mental with this guy. I hope he can overcome it, otherwise its a lost year.

Kaepernick = read/pistol. Defenses have figured out how to stop the read/pistol.
This is the same Colin Kaepernick who torched multiple defenses the second half of last season, including the playoffs and Super Bowl, ain't it? If not, someone please find him and bring him back...may want to check the trunk of Greg Roman's car.
Originally posted by drakan:
Originally posted by A-R-S:

Kaepernick = read/pistol. Defenses have figured out how to stop the read/pistol.

Not totally true...but as far as the 49ers and Kaepernick / HaRo are concerned, yes, the read-option is on life-support.
Originally posted by rtj03:
Originally posted by Method:
Sorry, our offense was much better than this with Alex.

I agree

lol. Unfortunately, this.
this pisses me off even more. our running game is fine. D fine...for the most part. ST fine. passing game from one week to the next is just varying degrees of crap.
Originally posted by SashRoxx-1:
Kap is reminding me of the pre-2009 Alex Smith. Which sucks because I thought that somehow our karma balanced out that since we waited so long for Alex to develop that somehow we skipped that entirely with Kap with how he hit the ground running last season. Oh well, it was just a tease... now we have to go through growing pains of a young QB again.

Alex sucked when he had no experience as a starter... and when he turned the experience corner in 2009 he was a little bit better but still limited by his physical ability. The 49ers still didn't have success with him until 2 years later with Harbaugh. The struggles of a young QB suck, but I think last year gave us a preview of what is coming when Kap turns that experience corner and the mental part of the game surpasses his physical ability. It will be a lot like the Steve Young years. Just disappointing that Gore, Justin, maybe even VD... will probably no longer be 49ers when Kap's mental game catches up with his physical game. I really wanted those guys to leave this team as champions.
So you think it was A Smiths fault that the Niners were so bad? You don't think it was the rest of the teams fault maybe? Not saying it WASNT A Smiths fault but look at the guy that they passed up in the draft A Rodgers He not only got to sit and learn in GB for a while but the packers were a superior team to the Niners A Smith was a rookie that got thrown into the fire playing behind a LOUSY O Line had K Barlow as the starting RB...NO WRs at all B Lloyd was the featured receiver and a defense that well I don't know how to explain that defense but like I said in an earlier post most High Schools could have beaten the Niners back then. Wasn't A Smiths faukt that he had a WORTHLESS OLine or no RB til F Gore took over and NO receivers...

It was mostly Alex Smith's fault that the passing offense was bad in those early years... yes. The QB is ultimately responsible. He was a young QB who struggled and as he struggled the passing offense struggled. It happens. You even listed a lot of the reasons why Smith struggled as a young QB on the field. The unstable front office and coaching staff are two other things I'd cite. Stuff out of his control.

Now, Kap is struggling and so is the passing offense. If we are 32nd in the league with Kap playing this poorly, yes, he deserves a good chunk of the blame. I understand some things like injuries are out of Kap's control. I just accept that he is struggling, and it isn't a big deal to me because he just made his 16th regular season start. Most of Kap's struggles are directly related to his lack of experience, if not arguably all of it. For me, it is easy to see that he is in over his head when it comes to the mental aspect of the game.

It's Alex Smith's fault, but then you mention the coaching staff & front office. Which one is it? Both?
The talent is nowhere near as good as Alex had it. No Crabtree, no Moss, no Manningham, no Delanie Walker and in 2 of our losses no Vernon Davis. Some of this falls on Kap but it's a 2 read offense right now because no one else can do anything.

Moss and Walker may just be role players but these are roles we haven't even came close to filling. It's not like we didn't see this with Alex too at times before 2012.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
The talent is nowhere near as good as Alex had it. No Crabtree, no Moss, no Manningham, no Delanie Walker and in 2 of our losses no Vernon Davis. Some of this falls on Kap but it's a 2 read offense right now because no one else can do anything.

Moss and Walker may just be role players but these are roles we haven't even came close to filling. It's not like we didn't see this with Alex too at times before 2012.

that's on the coaching staff...cause they don't trust any other wideout not named davis or boldin...they didn't give anyone a chance to step up....

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Originally posted by rtj03:
Jesus we are so conservative and lack any big play ability. Reminds me of when Alex was our qb.

I felt like, Singletary kidnap Harbough and disguised himself as the coach. The play calling was very vanilla.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Yes, at any point in time when we don't have a passing game, it is exactly like watching an Alex Smith team, no doubt about it.
Damn you, Alex Smith. Your ghosts will forever haunt the Webzone with your ubiquitous ability to be referenced.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
32nd ranked pass offense
Share 49ersWebzone