LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 143 users in the forums

I knew our passing game wasn't the greatest but I didnt know we were DEAD LAST in the

Shop Find 49ers gear online
actually whats more worrying to me is the fact weve beaten only one team thats heading to the playoffs this year so far....
Originally posted by BrianGO:
BTW guys.

We are #3 in 1st-half-points-per-game. Just about one point behind Denver. The difference is, when we have a lead, we nurse it, while Denver just keeps pouring it on.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/1st-half-points-per-game

Denver's porous defense keeps the pressure on their passing game. I am saying now Denver is not going to make the superbowl.
What is our YPA? I think it is 8 yards per pass attempt. We have a very efficient passing game and when we do throw the ball we do major damage and this is with 1 starting caliber WR and our stud TE Vernon Davis leading the way. Meanwhile we have the number 1 rushing attack in the NFL and this is our identity. Our OL has been our MVP the last 2 years and they get it done run blocking so why are we b***hing? When we add talent to our WR core with Mario and Crab we will see a noticeable difference but in the meantime what we are getting despite our injuries entering the season we need to be thankful and optimistic
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
What is our YPA? I think it is 8 yards per pass attempt. We have a very efficient passing game and when we do throw the ball we do major damage and this is with 1 starting caliber WR and our stud TE Vernon Davis leading the way. Meanwhile we have the number 1 rushing attack in the NFL and this is our identity. Our OL has been our MVP the last 2 years and they get it done run blocking so why are we b***hing? When we add talent to our WR core with Mario and Crab we will see a noticeable difference but in the meantime what we are getting despite our injuries entering the season we need to be thankful and optimistic

Exacly ...our offensive line is Busting Heads
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Face it, they are still in unrequited love with mr arm of gold alex smith, who I might add even at 9-0, is still being called a game manager by almost all sports writers for what it's worth..It's so sad to see such unrequited love...

You are the only one talking about him though...just hang on tight and cry a little if you need too, we got you man...you are amongst friends.

Mr. Check Down is it right? I swear his stat line from Sunday's game in the 1st half was like 18 for 25 for 96 yds or something.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Face it, they are still in unrequited love with mr arm of gold alex smith, who I might add even at 9-0, is still being called a game manager by almost all sports writers for what it's worth..It's so sad to see such unrequited love...

You are the only one talking about him though...just hang on tight and cry a little if you need too, we got you man...you are amongst friends.

Mr. Check Down is it right? I swear his stat line from Sunday's game in the 1st half was like 18 for 25 for 96 yds or something.

Last time I checked this thread was supposed to be about our passing game. There is a thread for discussing Kansas City. You all do realise Smith plays for Kansas City now, right?

Move on, people.
Originally posted by English:
Last time I checked this thread was supposed to be about our passing game. There is a thread for discussing Kansas City. You all do realise Smith plays for Kansas City now, right?

Move on, people.

Just teasing Bali for bringing up "He Who Shall Not Be Named".
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Total passing yards is heavily dependent on passing attempts. Generally speaking the more you throw, the more passing yards you'll have.

A better indicator of passing efficiency is yards-per-attempt average. We average 8 ypa, which ranks 7th in the NFL.
Exactly, and a lot of teams rack up passing yards throwing every down because they are always playing from behind. Total passing yards can be a very misleading statistic.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
49ers rankings

Pass Attempts - 32nd
Passing Yards - 32nd

Rush Attempts - 1st
Rush Yards - 1st

Notice anything?

Valid point, but this is extremely surprising coming into this year and after the first game against the Pack. To be DEAD last. I'm glad we have been winning and somewhat benefiting with the soft schedule after week three while we get guys back. Lets hope that really does turn it around. Because these passing yards won't cut it against elite teams and we all know that.
I think we have all seen Kap improve after the Chicken and Colts game. We have been a lot more efficient and it hasn't been necessary to throw the balll around. The reason this is surprising to most people is because coming into the year we all thought we would have the vertical element to our passing game. I know injuries have devastated us with MM and Crabs, but still. None of us saw this coming.

Originally posted by valrod33:
The Seahwaks games ive watched ive noticed Wilson on the sidelines looking at film, anytime Kaep is shown all he is doing is walking around with a stupid ass grin on his face

I know you are messing around but remember, this is a TOTALLY different NFL offense. Plays are pre-determined for CK and the receivers. There is no need to be reviewing snap shots of how the defense is playing us, their alignments, reviewing 2nd and 3rd reads, route-trees, etc. It's all pre-determined pre-snap. CK will watch the S (usually) and stay with the passing play or check to run by killing it. It's that simple. The focus from there is 100% on execution by all the players doing their part in the passing game. If failed, then it's ad lib time...
Denver's porous defense keeps the pressure on their passing game. I am saying now Denver is not going to make the superbowl.

Colts
Originally posted by Gore_21:
This plus we are also 1st, I repeat 1st in the league in rushing at 153 yards a game. We are a running team right now without Manningham and Crabtree. The pass game will be much better once those guys come back although we still will probably rely on the run more than the pass.

The running game should get better also.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Many times the Niners in the last few years have run the ball a lot, but they should have run

More in the Giants championship game. We run, and we probably win that game.

At the goal line for the superbowl......Man we should have run it more.

The Colts game we were blowing their whole team off the line and we completely go away from the run.

I'm glad we got back to the run. We have the team to be able to run the ball even with eight men in the box. I think that's been Mangini's role.

Now we are going to get Manningham and Crabtree back. BOO YA!!!! We are really dangerous. We will have our best receiving core in the past ten years. Bolden, Crabs, Manningham with Kyle Williams and Baldwin as back ups. (Will Quintan patton be shut down for roster space?)

I think we will have a nice balance for the playoffs with no glaring weaknesses. Could the niners be peaking at a better time? Keep it rolling.

Plus we get Aldon back, Tank, Dial, Wright? Look out Seahawks!

Agreed, like Seattle, our passing game completely hinges on the running game and THAT is who we are. I'm happy we got back to our identity. CK is essentially, the "game manager" now but different that say, Alex Smith who has much more excuse and now (freedom from Andy) to change plays at the LOS. And like others noted, WHEN we have to pass we will but why bother if you don't have to, eat up the clock, control the game and finish. The real test of our passing ability will come when, like in Seattle, we are stuffed in the run game to start the game and forced to pass into a secondary playing tough, physical press coverage...esp. when that annointed WR is disrupted/covered/taken away. THEN we'll see what kind of real passing game we have...
Originally posted by valrod33:
when we were throwing alot we were 1-2, when we went to the run game and took the ball out of a certain persons hands we are 5-0

its funny how that worked out

im confused...are you a Niner fan or a Seahawks fan?
Share 49ersWebzone