LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 218 users in the forums

I knew our passing game wasn't the greatest but I didnt know we were DEAD LAST in the

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
49ers rankings

Pass Attempts - 32nd
Passing Yards - 32nd

Rush Attempts - 1st
Rush Yards - 1st

Notice anything?

Thanks for providing these numbers. I've taken the time to study them thoroughly, and like you asked, I have noticed some interesting correlations that might be related to the thread topic in question.

First, if you look closely, you notice that we are 32nd in two categories. And here is the interesting part. One of those categories is passing attempts, and the other one is, wait for it...
...passing yards. I think this is beyond coincidence. That fact that both numbers involve passing, and both numbers are dead last must have a correlation.

The same thing occurs with rushing yards. Again, we are 1st in two categories. One of these categories is rushing attempts, and the other one, yep, you guessed it, rushing yards.

There are several conclusions that we must reach for both Kap and for our primary running back, Frank Gore.
Kap needs a LOT of work to do with his passing attempts. Perhaps he can audible into passes on more plays, including kneel downs at the end of a blowout victory as these are wasted opportunities to create another passing attempt.

Frank Gore could improve his rushing attempts by not running too far a distance past the first down marker, but rather, once he gets to the marker he can perform the slide maneuver, similar to the way quarterbacks run. That way we will have more field to work with and more rushing attempts.

Being dead last in these categories is embarrassing, and I hope these two players try and use these types of creative solutions to ameliorate the problem.

LOL. Nice post Brian.

It's hilarious how people put so much stock into total passing yards, and completely ignore the fact we are last in attempts. This is by design because you obviously don't want to air it out when you only have 2 legit passing options (Boldin, Davis), and everyone else is a scrub.

On a per-attempt basis we are 7th in the NFL (8 yards per pass attempt). That is a VERY good mark. It's a little worrisome that so many posters who have been on this board for a long time don't recognize this, or are choosing to ignore it just to hate on our QB.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Nov 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM ]
LOL. Nice post Brian.

It's hilarious how people put so much stock into total passing yards, and completely ignore the fact we are last in attempts. This is by design because you obviously don't want to air it out when you only have 2 legit passing options (Boldin, Davis), and everyone else is a scrub. On a per-attempt basis we are 7th in the NFL (8 yards per pass attempt). That is a VERY good mark.

It's a little worrisome that so many posters who have been on this board for a long time don't recognize this, or are choosing to ignore it just to hate on our QB.

Screwed up the post a little. Obviously, we don't have to try and get Gore more attempts, as we are first in the league. I tried to edit it, and instead suggested that Gore run for big losses more often, therefore, forcing us to pass more on 2nd and 3rd down.

Thanks for providing these numbers. I've taken the time to study them thoroughly, and like you asked, I have noticed some interesting correlations that might be related to the thread topic in question.

First, if you look closely, you notice that we are 32nd in two categories. And here is the interesting part. One of those categories is passing attempts, and the other one is, wait for it...
...passing yards. I think this is beyond coincidence. That fact that both numbers involve passing, and both numbers are dead last must have a correlation.

The same thing occurs with rushing yards. Again, we are 1st in two categories. One of these categories is rushing attempts, and the other one, yep, you guessed it, rushing yards.

Kap has a LOT of work to do with his passing attempts. Perhaps he can audible into passes on more plays, including kneel downs at the end of a blowout victory as these are wasted opportunities to create another passing attempt.
Frank Gore could try and get tackled more often for a big loss, that way we are almost forced to pass on 2nd and 3rd down.

Edit. Whoops.

I must be looking at the wrong stats . . .
I see the Bills #1 in rush attempts and the Eagles #1 in rush yards
I dont care about passing yards as long we convert on 3rd down
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
with all of his primary weapons from last year the seahawks passing rank is 27th.

what's the excuse there?

He'll need to look at the film.

The Seahawks offense is like watching an episode of Jackass, with the little midget running around getting into all kinds of trouble and sometimes getting beat up.
Hopefully we can air it out about 30-35 times a game by the end of the season.
The points are there, but you can't think you're going to consistently win games with the best rushing attack in the league.
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:

We are number one in rushing yards-per-game, which is more relevant, as the bye week messes with the numbers. And we BARELY have more rushing attempts per game than Buffalo. http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-attempts-per-game
49ers rankings

Pass Attempts - 32nd
Passing Yards - 32nd

Rush Attempts - 1st
Rush Yards - 1st

Notice anything?

6-2
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
49ers rankings

Pass Attempts - 32nd
Passing Yards - 32nd

Rush Attempts - 1st
Rush Yards - 1st

Notice anything?

6-2

Exactly. We're 6-2. 5 game winning streak where we've obliterated the competition. That's all that matters.
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:

We are number one in rushing yards-per-game, which is more relevant, as the bye week messes with the numbers. And we BARELY have more rushing attempts per game than Buffalo. http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-attempts-per-game

Yup. Bills and Eagles have played 9 games. We've played 8. Before yesterday's games, we were #1 in both attempts and yards.

Got it, thanks!
Last year we were 23rd in pass yards per game and we went to the super bowl.
Originally posted by SheHateMe:
Last year we were 23rd in pass yards per game and we went to the super bowl.

Hopefully when all our receivers are back healthy, they will let Kaep put it up a few more times. 25-30 attempts would be good balance. Say we run 65 plays, 28 passing attempts and 37 rushes, that's a nice medium for our offense I'd wager.
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
Hopefully when all our receivers are back healthy, they will let Kaep put it up a few more times. 25-30 attempts would be good balance. Say we run 65 plays, 28 passing attempts and 37 rushes, that's a nice medium for our offense I'd wager.

if we ran 65 plays, i would like to see 33-32 pass plays.
Share 49ersWebzone