LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

I knew our passing game wasn't the greatest but I didnt know we were DEAD LAST in the

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
That's going to change w/Manningham, then Crabtree coming back. But, Kap doesn't need to throw for 300 yds + a game for us to win. That's the beauty of a balanced attack...Gore/Hunter doing their thing, then go play-action for big gainers. Throw in some ST & defensive turnovers and you get a short field to score. Stats can be misleading...really, the BL is 5 straight wins and more coming with the talent being added.

This is eactly right...our play action passes and explosive plays are predicated on the run game; the passing game is an extension of the run game with the ABILITY to put up 400+ yards if we need to. The past 5 games, with defensive TD's, great ST, TO's setting up short fields, etc. I wouldn't say our offense has been explosive but it has been efficient, consistent and putting teams away early.

Carolina will be a real test this week as to our passing game...
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NCommand:
The title of this thread is so wrong in terms of accuracy because we are only dead last in total yards but are very competitive with passing efficiency stats and a lot of other passing stats.

Agreed, that was debunked a while back.

We are basically, the Alex Smith offense again.

Nah, it had nothing to do with Alex...this is just the Harbaugh offense dating back to Bo Schembechler. And it's working in today's "pass happy" NFL!

Ha! Waaay better than an "Alex Smith Offense". We are actually hitting big plays and scoring points due directly to that. Kap is also throwing impressively in tight windows.

What we need to do is actually do throw some more checkdowns. Not for TOP or moving the chains, but to show defenses they MUST spread horizontally also when they play us and when they view the film.

Hell yes. I alluded to this in other threads too. The best thing an offense can do to help itself is force the defense to feel as though it has to defend the entire field, length and width. As soon as Gore/LMJ/Hunter get some passes to the flats, this will make the LBs more aware of that area of the field. Then Vance and VD can work the middle of the field with a bit more breathing room.

A solid first down pass play would be to pass to the flat for 5 yards. This does what was described above and sets up a nice 2nd and 5 which forces defenses to play pass and run equally.

Soooooooooo agree! Spread the wealth!
The title of this thread is so wrong in terms of accuracy because we are only dead last in total yards but are very competitive with passing efficiency stats and a lot of other passing stats.

Agreed, that was debunked a while back.

We are basically, the Alex Smith offense again.

Nah, it had nothing to do with Alex...this is just the Harbaugh offense dating back to Bo Schembechler. And it's working in today's "pass happy" NFL!

Ha! Waaay better than an "Alex Smith Offense". We are actually hitting big plays and scoring points due directly to that. Kap is also throwing impressively in tight windows.

What we need to do is actually do throw some more checkdowns. Not for TOP or moving the chains, but to show defenses they MUST spread horizontally also when they play us and when they view the film.

Hell yes. I alluded to this in other threads too. The best thing an offense can do to help itself is force the defense to feel as though it has to defend the entire field, length and width. As soon as Gore/LMJ/Hunter get some passes to the flats, this will make the LBs more aware of that area of the field. Then Vance and VD can work the middle of the field with a bit more breathing room.

A solid first down pass play would be to pass to the flat for 5 yards. This does what was described above and sets up a nice 2nd and 5 which forces defenses to play pass and run equally.

Soooooooooo agree! Spread the wealth!

As long as it doesn't reduce our explosive plays. Hell, If a team refuses to come up, I don't mind running the ball every play as long as we are getting 5 a pop.
  • Antix
  • Veteran

This is one of my favorite plays in all of football.

5 yards on first down is such a great thing to have. 2nd and 5 and 3rd and 1 is such an advantage to have. It sets you up to take shots down field, the whole playbook is open and allows field position control.

Also, Gore out of the backfield, catching a pass and getting his body turned upfield with a bit of steam is a TOUGH thing for a secondary to deal with. He is still shifty and elusive with power and tough to take down in the open field. We should be doing this once a drive imo. I want the defense to start having to account for RBs and FBs.
CK CAN? He already has and it directly points to the points scored and yards per attempt considering the low number of attempts. Checking down is fine, but it is not helping KC's offense. Kap's style only has 1 more INT than Alex. These safer check-down type of plays are also not helping KC QB with rating.

Honestly, checking down more holds less importance than taking more deep shots. Taking deeps shots pushes a defense back, which is the entire prupose of an offense. It gets a defense playing backwards. Too many checkdowns gets a defense to move up and play downhill which also clogs the run. It's good if the QB is willing to then punish the defense with deep shots, but if that doesn't happen, then it is hurting a team.

Getting back to the point. Kap may be "called" a game manager, but he is not because he doesn't concede often. He takes risky shots...well...probably risky for some QB's but less risky for him.

I see; I think we may just have a bit different definition of "game manager." I always hated that term anyhow. Nobody is better than CK in the intermediate passing game; I think he is tops in 20+ as well. He obviously is getting better in the short touch pass game and still has a ways to go on deeper passes that rquire some arch, leading, etc. But man, when CK is on, he is unstoppable and there will be a day when he not only puts it all together but puts it together consistently. I certainly don't fault him for not spreading it around as I think that is more of a product of the play calling and trust with anyone not named VD or Boldin. That said, I don't think CK would give a #$%^&*...he'd love to pass to a guy like Baldwin and get him into the mix, McDonald, James, etc. But the coaches trust Miller more right now and they obviously, are quick to activate Mario/Michael for this very reason as well IMHO.
Error
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM ]
Error

Totally! The good thing is, Kap can also handle 3rd and longs which allows Roman to be more creative on 1st and 2nds.
Originally posted by Antix:

This is one of my favorite plays in all of football.

5 yards on first down is such a great thing to have. 2nd and 5 and 3rd and 1 is such an advantage to have. It sets you up to take shots down field, the whole playbook is open and allows field position control.

Also, Gore out of the backfield, catching a pass and getting his body turned upfield with a bit of steam is a TOUGH thing for a secondary to deal with. He is still shifty and elusive with power and tough to take down in the open field. We should be doing this once a drive imo. I want the defense to start having to account for RBs and FBs.

First down production as I've highlighted for several years here, is EVERYTHING to our offense. It allows Roman to stay with the script and use all the plays in his game plan. If we get 4+ yards on first down, we are unstoppable. But often times, poor play calling and execution has us in 2nd and 10 or even 15+. THAT plays right into any DC's hands!
Totally! The good thing is, Kap can also handle 3rd and longs which allows Roman to be more creative on 1st and 2nds.

That's a good way of looking at it as well. This is an area we have improved (I believe) over the past 5 games or so. It's nice to know we're not totally screwed if we DON'T get 4+ yards on first down.
They are saving things for the playoffs.

No need to hand them film study in the regular season if you are blowing people out running the ball and passing conservatively.

This team doesn't care about your fantasy league stats.

They like wins and surprising people in the playoffs.

Great, great coaching.

• kray28
  • Veteran
Total Offense, like Total Defense is a flawed measure.
Originally posted by kray28:
Total Offense, like Total Defense is a flawed measure.

Agreed, the only thing that matters is Points For (#8 )and Points Against (#3). A team can have all the yards they want if they don't score...conversely, you can run up and down the field on offense all your want as well but if you don't score TD's? Done!
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM ]
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Keeping the ball out of Kaeps hands, not letting him lose the games for us

What is your point? Start McCoy? Get a first round pick get a new QB. This is where you and others chant "we want Derek Carr"?

Got it. You cried when Alex left. Now nothing left for you to do but attack our QB. Great Niner fan.

So that makes all the people who trashed Alex when he was the QB what?

yeaahhhh lol people act like its a crime to critique your own team. So just cause Trash Balmer and Jenkins and Kwame were niners im supposed to like them and say they are good lol
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
I always though Harbaugh made Kaep the qb so we could get away from the "game manager" status quo. Not return to it, I hope it changes when Mario and Crabtree return to the field. If we become more balanced on offense we'd be a lot more efficient in the passing game and run.

When our ginger fullback is outperforming every WR not named Boldin, what do you expect? I'm sure when MM and Crabs come back there will be more balance on offense and the passing game will improve but until then, our running game is elite, has been getting the job done and we'll stick with it.

And even in a managing role, Kap is not your prototypical "game manager". He still takes risks, throws passes into tight coverages and goes for the big plays. Doesn't sound like a game manager to me.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Nov 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM ]
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

When our ginger fullback is outperforming every WR not named Boldin, what do you expect? I'm sure when MM and Crabs come back there will be more balance on offense and the passing game will improve but until then, our running game is elite, has been getting the job done and we'll stick with it.

And even in a managing role, Kap is not your prototypical "game manager". He still takes risks, throws passes into tight coverages and goes for the big plays. Doesn't sound like a game manager to me.

Yes but eventually you're going to have to pass the ball down the field. Not that we can't do that but yea we can't do that. Maybe MM and Crab will provide a little continuity. I'm sure their absence didn't help Kaeps evolution. I knew we needed a legit option after Crab got hurt but owell. 6-2 aint too bad.
Share 49ersWebzone