There are 211 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Carlos Rogers Having a Quietly...Good Season?

Playing solid.. May struggle with Wrs like Cruz, welker types but so far so good. I just don't want to wait to the playoffs for him to have a bad game.i think next year our starters will be culliver Brock brown and wright may take the slot if brown leaves by free agency. Rogers is probably gone but we will,have 4 good CBS
At the time of the draft Tyrann Mathieu looked like a risky pick, but I was specifically thinking about Rogers slowing down and that he might struggle covering the slot so I was hoping Balke would draft Mathieu. I'm not sure giving up Lemonier to get Mathieu would have been worth it, especially since Rogers has been doing okay (I was thinking Tavon Austin might give Rogers fits, but Austin's either struggling or the Rams haven't figured out how to use him). Over the long run, though, I still wonder if it might have been better to draft Mathieu because I think he would have been an excellent slot defender (even though the Rams have him playing safety don't they?).
[ Edited by 49erphan on Nov 2, 2013 at 7:05 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erphan:
At the time of the draft Tyrann Mathieu looked like a risky pick, but I was specifically thinking about Rogers slowing down and that he might struggle covering the slot so I was hoping Balke would draft Mathieu. I'm not sure giving up Lemonier to get Mathieu would have been worth it, especially since Rogers has been doing okay (I was thinking Tavon Austin might give Rogers fits, but Austin's either struggling or the Rams haven't figured out how to use him). Over the long run, though, I still wonder if it might have been better to draft Mathieu because I think he would have been an excellent slot defender (even though the Rams have him playing safety don't they?).

Don't you mean the Cardnals? But yes, I think they do have him at safety. I was all for drafting Mathieu and would've liked him in the 5th, but the Cardinals jumped on it before we could. I do wonder if Baalke would've done it if the Honey Badger was still there in the 5th.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by 49erphan:
At the time of the draft Tyrann Mathieu looked like a risky pick, but I was specifically thinking about Rogers slowing down and that he might struggle covering the slot so I was hoping Balke would draft Mathieu. I'm not sure giving up Lemonier to get Mathieu would have been worth it, especially since Rogers has been doing okay (I was thinking Tavon Austin might give Rogers fits, but Austin's either struggling or the Rams haven't figured out how to use him). Over the long run, though, I still wonder if it might have been better to draft Mathieu because I think he would have been an excellent slot defender (even though the Rams have him playing safety don't they?).

Don't you mean the Cardnals? But yes, I think they do have him at safety. I was all for drafting Mathieu and would've liked him in the 5th, but the Cardinals jumped on it before we could. I do wonder if Baalke would've done it if the Honey Badger was still there in the 5th.
Argh. Right. Cardinals. I put the bit in about Austin and the Rams and my brain got stuck. Plus I misspelled "Baalke". Brain not totally engaged I guess.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 686
Thing is he ain't having $9m worth of a good season.
Wow guy basically covers the best WRs every week. Of course he will get beat sometimes. Guy has played very well during win streak. I've been watching him closely. He will take a pay cut next year with out a doubt. We will have to replace him.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Playing solid.. May struggle with Wrs like Cruz, welker types but so far so good. I just don't want to wait to the playoffs for him to have a bad game.i think next year our starters will be culliver Brock brown and wright may take the slot if brown leaves by free agency. Rogers is probably gone but we will,have 4 good CBS
He actually covered Welker quite well last year. But regarding this season Rogers has been doing quite well other than the Cardinals and Colts game. The Cards(95 yards) and Colts(67 yards) are the only two games where Rogers has surrendered more than 50 yards receiving.

The other six games
vs Titans
Targets 7
Completions 4
Yards 48

Vs Jags
Targets 8
Completions 3
Yards 27
1 Penalty
1 PD

Vs Rams
Targets 3
Completions 0
Yards 0

Vs Seahawks
Targets 4
Completions 1
Yards 13
1 PD
1 penalty

Vs Packers
Targets 4
Completions 3
Yards 41
TDs 1

Vs Texans
Targets 3
Completions 1
Yards 5
[ Edited by SFrush on Nov 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,814
I never hear his name called when a team has only 2 WR on the field. To me, it seems like Tarell Brown is having the worst year of our starting CB.
Originally posted by fryet:
I never hear his name called when a team has only 2 WR on the field. To me, it seems like Tarell Brown is having the worst year of our starting CB.

I agree, but Brown has really evened out his play. He was awful the first couple of weeks.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Nov 2, 2013 at 10:33 AM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,069
He's not terrible, but if he's having a good (as in solid) season, then yes, it's a quiet one ... he's above average, but not by much. BTW, what elite WRs has he shutdown so far... covered on a weekly basis?? Shaguars, TittiTitanics, Texans (Schaub sucks), Lambs, Tardinals -- scrub teams........
Nobody on our secondary is really bad. People watch a play, see a completion and assume the CB was "toasted" not really knowing what was happening on the play or who was supposed to cover who. Still, even when they do get toasted it doesn't mean they suck. If our DBs NEVER gave up ANY completions or TDs and held every opposing QB to 0 for 0 passing, you should realize you're dreaming and enjoy the free beer ('cause you can do that in a dream).

Our secondary is having one of its best overall seasons. ALL of our DBs have contributed to that. None of them are playing badly - though I will say that Brown is the weakest link.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think he is decent to solid just that you don't want him covering quicker WR's in the slot. I'm surprised we haven't had him stick to the outside against bigger slower WRs.

All of this. Rogers does not have the change of direction and burst anymore to cover in the slot. He hasn't been a total dumpster-fire, but for a player counting 7.3 million against our cap? Yeah... not playing well enough. We cut our losses in the offseason, and we gain over 5 mil on our cap room... it is inevitable.
nobody in our secondary is having a bad season. brown isn't even having a bad season. they are all playing very well

fact remains against speedy slot wr's he struggles he has since he's been here and that's what he covers when we go 3 wide.

with the coming pass rush i think it'll get better because they won't have to cover routes as long as they have been to date.
Matt Maiocco said that his number 1 matchup of the 9ers against the Rams was Carlos Rogers on Tavon Austin. Austin didn't seem to have much success yesterday so I wonder if Rogers had him pretty well blanketed from the slot. I'll have to admit that I had my doubts about Rogers at the beginning of the season, but he is a really savvy player and seems to be using the savvy pretty effectively.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:19 AM ]
Originally posted by Buchy:
Thing is he ain't having $9m worth of a good season.

Good thing he's not making 9 mil.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home