There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Carlos Rogers Having a Quietly...Good Season?

Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Bad. he has actually been playing bad. The only catches team could regularly count on is in the slot, which is where Rogers plays.

The system is weird. he makes starting db money, but plays the slot wr exclusively when there's more than 2 wr's

which means brock is actually matching up and playing the teams #1 or #2 option with brown playing the opposite outside, which begs the question, why are we paying him $9 million dollars to cover the slot?
i think it will eventually bite him because if brock continues his play, he's basically playing the role of a starting cornerback not a nickel back. and the emergence of Eric Wright... if he is in top form and rogers continues to get burned.. as crazy as it sounds there could be a change made, unlikely but there could be
Teams usually put their best and most versatile cornerbacks to cover the slots which are much quicker and shiftier and a lot harder to cover than outside wrs. When you're covering an outside wideout, you can use the sideline to your advantage to limit space and room for him to use, but covering the slot is a whole different beast, there is a lot more room for them to use and they could go anywhere, anyway in a split second, a quick, shiftier, fast slot receiver with a lot of room is a nightmare to cover and deal with. Thats why Rogers is covering the slot most of the time when they come out in 3 wr sets. Rogers is doing fine, not perfect as we all want to but its good enough so far, it's really really difficult to totally shut down a good slot wr in the NFL, but if you can limit his production, you're doing a great job and that's what Rogers doing.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Oct 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM ]
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Teams usually put their best and most versatile cornerbacks to cover the slots which are much quicker and shiftier and a lot harder to cover than outside wrs. When you're covering an outside wideout, you can use the sideline to your advantage to limit space and room for him to use, but covering the slot is a whole different beast, there is a lot more room for them to use and they could go anywhere, anyway in a split second, a quick, shiftier, fast slot receiver with a lot of room is a nightmare to cover and deal with. Thats why Rogers is covering the slot most of the time when they come out in 3 wr sets. Rogers is doing fine, not perfect as we all want to but its good enough so far, it's really really difficult to totally shut down a good slot wr in the NFL, but if you can limit his production, you're doing a great job and that's what Rogers doing.

but that's not what he has been doing the past few games, the slot wr's were the leading receptors in the past 2 weeks.
he hasn't been horrible that's not what i'm saying. but he hasn't been good lately.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
but that's not what he has been doing the past few games, the slot wr's were the leading receptors in the past 2 weeks.
he hasn't been horrible that's not what i'm saying. but he hasn't been good lately.

Pretty much. He hasn't been playing as poorly as the majority of last year, but he's not having a particularly great season. No reason to think that just because he's not playing terrible that Morris or Wright couldn't possibly do the job better. I'm not saying they can, just saying Rogers isn't doing anything special.

I think he is decent to solid just that you don't want him covering quicker WR's in the slot. I'm surprised we haven't had him stick to the outside against bigger slower WRs. Some teams move their CB's around to get the best matchup game to game and play to play but we have always just stuck to one guy stays right, one guy stays left no matter who is out there. I think Brown or Brock would have been better in the slot but I guess those to are doing well on the outside so they don't want to mess with it and I guess that's how Fangio plays it. Anyways, to the cap part of it Rogers makes about 8.1 million next year so you better believe we will ask him to take a paycut or probably cut him. We can save 5.1 mil with about a 3 mil hit. The year after he certainly won't be with us if he doesn't restructure as we can save 7.6 million with only a 1.5 cap hit (makes 9.1 mil). No way we pay him 2 years, 17.2 million so unless he restructures he will likely be gone. Depends if he wants to stay on a winning team but I could see him declining.

P.S. He's making around 7 million this year not 9 like someone said. Either way he is getting too much. We kind of panicked that year we signed him and gave him too much after that 6 int year. I think part of it was only CB we had was Brown and maybe we didn't think Culliver would be as good as he was. We had signed Perrish Cox a few days prior. At the time would have been Brown, Culliver, Cox, Brock, Deante Purvis/Anthony Mosley/Curtis Holcomb. You guys have to remember that was before Brock broke out, Cox was unknown and we probably didn't think Culliver could be a #2 yet. Now you look at it like yeah that's good enough Brown, Culliver, Brock, Cox. Looked a lot different back then.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 31, 2013 at 10:55 PM ]
He's done well overall, not really sure where all this criticism of Rogers is coming from, he's rarely out of place and has had some very good coverage this season. He's struggled in a few games, but so has everyone else on the team.
hes looked a little shaky the last couple weeks.
Correct me if Im wrong, but from what I saw, Rogers only gave up 1 touchdown in 8 games through the season and thats to Randall Cobb in week one. Thats pretty damn good to me if you ask me.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Correct me if Im wrong, but from what I saw, Rogers only gave up 1 touchdown in 8 games through the season and thats to Randall Cobb in week one. Thats pretty damn good to me if you ask me.

that may be true but he gets blocked out of plays a lot on runs and screens. ive noticed it a lot the last few games
Hopefully he plays better than he has been lately. the slot has been the other teams bread and butter as far as getting completions. im just speaking the truth, overall he has been ok last few weeks its been arrow down hopefully it turns into arrow up going forward.

if his name was nnamdi and had these performances the past 2 weeks there would be 7 threads and 4-10 columns across 49ers official sites and elsewhere saying how bad nnamdi is.

hold everyone to the same standards imo. rogers is capable, i just don't know if its a real speedy slot wr if that's the best match up for him right now
He doesnt have 8 picks this season. Bum. Cut him now.
Is he a stellar CB and having a probowl type year ...no
Is he collectively making the secondary better...yes

If there is someone out there that is better than him, with a reasonable pay, I think the 49ers will get him. I believe Balke is constantly on the lookout for most positions, if not all.
Carlos is doing fine for playing the slot, which, considering how all the rules are skewed against the dbs, is one of the toughest positions in the secondary.
yes he is having a solid season, not as good he was two years ago but he playing solid.
Originally posted by Disp:
Pretty much. He hasn't been playing as poorly as the majority of last year, but he's not having a particularly great season. No reason to think that just because he's not playing terrible that Morris or Wright couldn't possibly do the job better. I'm not saying they can, just saying Rogers isn't doing anything special.

Thanks for that. Rogers does support the run well from what I see during games. That HOU game he was extra enthusiastic about tackling Arian Foster, then adding in some trash talk on top of it. Rogers is playing better than last season, but obviously not living up to his contract.

He (the coaches) have a rather simplistic approach to covering the slot. Rogers knows he isn't going to 'out-quick' the slot WR so he uses his arms to disrupt their release. He does a good job of holding within 5 yards, without getting called for holding. When he isn't pressing the slot WR, the strategy is simply to play outside technique and funnel the slot WR into the middle of the field where Willis and Bow are patrolling the area. I think he's actually a better slot CB than a LCB lined up wide on an island. Out wide is where his lack of quickness becomes very apparent. He gives large cushions because he knows he isn't fast enough to play tight then turn and run with some of these WRs on the outside.
He's the second highest paid player on the team? I don't think he's worth that.