LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Halfway through the 2013 season : The good, the bad, the ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
lol thanks a lot man. You made me lol at work

I would have chosen a fumbling pic Kyle Williams.
So ready for the 2nd half of the season! Going to be a very exciting time for sure. Go 49ers!
my top areas of improvement through 8 games have been:

1- reducing penalties that would kill drives or keep the our d on the field
2- coverage units have been amazing compared to last year
3- reminding ourselves that we are a run first team and getting back to what we do best on offense
4- kaep has been up and down but overall very solid for what is asked of him
5- on defense my mvp at this point would be eric reid he has changed our secondary for the better..and on offense it would be who else but frank gore

my top areas of concern to work on for the final 8 games and playoffs would be:

1- getting more people involved in the offense...particularly hunter and our receivers that are getting healthy will help this
2- run defense needs to be more stout
3- clock management has been one for a while hope it improves with experience
4- blitzing and creating more pressure..aldon and tank will hopefully fix this issue
5- return duties are up in the air at this point and every player you can plug in there has their issues
Originally posted by verb1der:
We have reached the halfway point of the NFL season, what have we learned about our 49ers so far? I'm pretty sure there's plenty I'm forgetting but here's my list..

Good:

-The return of Kendall Hunter. This the guy I anticipated the most in the off-season, and it looks like he's picking up where he left off!
-Special Teams, clearly a stronger unit this year. We no longer miss Blake Costanzo!
-The Pistol Formation is sustainable!
-The emergence of Tramaine Brock
-The quarterback who shall not be named gives us KC's 2nd rounder!

Bad:

-Kyle Williams as bad as webzone advertised.
-Aj Jenkins who would've thought over the summer he'd be playing for KC.
-Lamichael James, he has not and probably will never turn out to be like Darren Sproles (esp in SF).
-Nnamdi Asomugha, going into the season if you were to tell me Brock would take his job, I would've thought you were crazy!
-Colt McCoy, I predicted him to be a young Alex Smith, but I guess not.

Ugly:

-Aldon Smith, the most bone headed story of the season. Nuff said.
-Seahawks with division lead. Still not happy about getting dominated two times in a row. I thought we would've put up a better effort in Seattle this year, but we got smashed again. I hope those losses don't affect the team's psyche thinking they just cannot win in Seattle. Sooner or later the 49ers will have to go in there and exorcise the demon!

That's pretty much all I have. Meanwhile enjoy the bye week people. It's going to be one hell of a ride in the second half of the year. Everything seems to be falling into place for the 49ers. We are getting healthier, winning games on all 3 phases, 1 game behind the Seahawks (with a rematch in Candlestick!), Kaepernick is balling, more weapons returning, and the best running game in football. Put all that together and you have a Superbowl formula!

Quest for the Sixth continues.

still could be, didnt alex get like 15 years?
  • thl408
Good:
Vernon's potential coming out of college has been fulfilled. He is the best deep threat TE in the league, hands down. Now he has a QB that likes to throw deep and compliments VD's game to a tee.

Bad:
The 2nd WR position. This includes Moore, Kyle, Baldwin and Osgood. No one grabbed it by the horns and ran with it.

Ugly:
Injuries and side stories to the front 7. Aldon, Willis, Ian Wiliams, Justin, RayMac, and Dorsey all have injuries or negative off field stories to them. Even Brooks if you count his beer bottle bashing.
We have reached the halfway point of the NFL season, what have we learned about our 49ers so far? I'm pretty sure there's plenty I'm forgetting but here's my list..

Good:

-The return of Kendall Hunter. This the guy I anticipated the most in the off-season, and it looks like he's picking up where he left off!
-Special Teams, clearly a stronger unit this year. We no longer miss Blake Costanzo!
-The Pistol Formation is sustainable!
-The emergence of Tramaine Brock
-The quarterback who shall not be named gives us KC's 2nd rounder!

Bad:

-Kyle Williams as bad as webzone advertised.
-Aj Jenkins who would've thought over the summer he'd be playing for KC.
-Lamichael James, he has not and probably will never turn out to be like Darren Sproles (esp in SF).
-Nnamdi Asomugha, going into the season if you were to tell me Brock would take his job, I would've thought you were crazy!
-Colt McCoy, I predicted him to be a young Alex Smith, but I guess not.

Ugly:

-Aldon Smith, the most bone headed story of the season. Nuff said.
-Seahawks with division lead. Still not happy about getting dominated two times in a row. I thought we would've put up a better effort in Seattle this year, but we got smashed again. I hope those losses don't affect the team's psyche thinking they just cannot win in Seattle. Sooner or later the 49ers will have to go in there and exorcise the demon!

That's pretty much all I have. Meanwhile enjoy the bye week people. It's going to be one hell of a ride in the second half of the year. Everything seems to be falling into place for the 49ers. We are getting healthier, winning games on all 3 phases, 1 game behind the Seahawks (with a rematch in Candlestick!), Kaepernick is balling, more weapons returning, and the best running game in football. Put all that together and you have a Superbowl formula!

Quest for the Sixth continues.

Why are people down on James? He's just stuck in a numbers game. We'll probably see much more of him in the second half of the season.
Originally posted by thl408:
Good:
Vernon's potential coming out of college has been fulfilled. He is the best deep threat TE in the league, hands down. Now he has a QB that likes to throw deep and compliments VD's game to a tee.

Bad:
The 2nd WR position. This includes Moore, Kyle, Baldwin and Osgood. No one grabbed it by the horns and ran with it.

Ugly:
Injuries and side stories to the front 7. Aldon, Willis, Ian Wiliams, Justin, RayMac, and Dorsey all have injuries or negative off field stories to them. Even Brooks if you count his beer bottle bashing.

That has been fulfilled a while ago, but he has been looking great this season! I think he can break his TD record.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Why are people down on James? He's just stuck in a numbers game. We'll probably see much more of him in the second half of the season.

I think he was hyped up over the summer, and no one at that time predicted that he'd be deactivated for games.
Originally posted by thl408:
Good:

Bad:

Ugly:

I agree with the good. I think this year is the most I've ever seen VD line up at WR, makes sense why he slimmed down in the offseason.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I think he was hyped up over the summer, and no one at that time predicted that he'd be deactivated for games.

I think it was clear that was going to happen as soon as Dixon made the roster and Williams became the primary kick returner.

James was only active LAST year because Hunter was hurt...and so was Williams...on the same freakin play. Sigh.

He'll get his shot now because Williams pretty much played himself out of the job.

I don't think this was ever a reflection of James tho....its just that Frank is Frank, Hunter looks really good at times, and Boobie is a core ST player.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM ]

Boldin
Lemonier
Good and Bad: If you look at our schedule vs Seattle, it can be viewed as good and bad.

Bad: We are trying to catch Seattle in the division and even though they looked weak against St. Louis, they only have 2 more tough games... vs the Saints and @ SF
If we beat them and run the table we will win the division but that would be both teams sporting a 14-2 record, that's hard for me to see happening. Our remaining schedule, we go through another stretch of good/great teams. Carolina has a top defense and they seem to be clicking right now, then @ Saints, and @ washington, and 2 weeks later is our rematch with Seattle. I'm not doubting the 49ers but we definately have the harder road to win the division.

Good: Depending on how you look at the strength of schedule. I feel like the recent Superbowl winners have been battle tested teams. Our strength of schedule has been crazy this year and will help our guys get ready for the post-season. As long as we avoid serious injuries, I think we will be in better shape come playoff time, with or without the bye or division crown. The media kisses Seattles butt and says they can't be beat at home but I have a hard time seeing Seattle beat 3 good teams in a row come playoff time.
[ Edited by jacklegniner on Oct 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Nice post man! One more thing to add..

Good:

ERIC REID !!!!!!!!

bad: lack of a pash rush/blitz scheme.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
The ugly:

No #2 WR to take pressure off Boldin and Davis

Run-defense has struggled a bit.
Share 49ersWebzone