There are 215 users in the forums

Halfway through the 2013 season : The good, the bad, the ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We have reached the halfway point of the NFL season, what have we learned about our 49ers so far? I'm pretty sure there's plenty I'm forgetting but here's my list..

Good:

-The return of Kendall Hunter. This the guy I anticipated the most in the off-season, and it looks like he's picking up where he left off!
-Special Teams, clearly a stronger unit this year. We no longer miss Blake Costanzo!
-The Pistol Formation is sustainable!
-The emergence of Tramaine Brock
-The quarterback who shall not be named gives us KC's 2nd rounder!

Bad:

-Kyle Williams as bad as webzone advertised.
-Aj Jenkins who would've thought over the summer he'd be playing for KC.
-Lamichael James, he has not and probably will never turn out to be like Darren Sproles (esp in SF).
-Nnamdi Asomugha, going into the season if you were to tell me Brock would take his job, I would've thought you were crazy!
-Colt McCoy, I predicted him to be a young Alex Smith, but I guess not.

Ugly:

-Aldon Smith, the most bone headed story of the season. Nuff said.
-Seahawks with division lead. Still not happy about getting dominated two times in a row. I thought we would've put up a better effort in Seattle this year, but we got smashed again. I hope those losses don't affect the team's psyche thinking they just cannot win in Seattle. Sooner or later the 49ers will have to go in there and exorcise the demon!

That's pretty much all I have. Meanwhile enjoy the bye week people. It's going to be one hell of a ride in the second half of the year. Everything seems to be falling into place for the 49ers. We are getting healthier, winning games on all 3 phases, 1 game behind the Seahawks (with a rematch in Candlestick!), Kaepernick is balling, more weapons returning, and the best running game in football. Put all that together and you have a Superbowl formula!

Quest for the Sixth continues.

This season to me has been great...it's not squeaky clean and we have Seattle keeping us motivated to get better
Nice post man! One more thing to add..

Good:

ERIC REID !!!!!!!!

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Good:

ERIC REID !!!!!!!!

Yeah how do you leave out Eric Reid? He's been an upgrade over a departed All Pro safety.

Good:

ERIC REID !!!!!!!!

Wow that's a huge oversight on my part!

Eric Reid...dang....no one here is missing Dashon Goldson, that's amazing.
Originally posted by Hopper:

Good:

ERIC REID !!!!!!!!

Yeah how do you leave out Eric Reid? He's been an upgrade over a departed All Pro safety.

What he's done for the pass D is amazing. Other than being an immediate upgrade at FS he's made the players around him significantly better. If we can draft another like him this year it would be exceptional.
Not one of the bigger good things, but Wilhoite has come in when necessary and done a nice job of covering for Willis when needed. The "next man up" in most positions have been doing pretty well - except for at wide receiver.

I would say one of the bigger good things is how the team came out of the second and third game travesties and have developed into playing really well as a TEAM.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM ]
The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

Originally posted by verb1der:
Wow that's a huge oversight on my part!

Eric Reid...dang....no one here is missing Dashon Goldson, that's amazing.

Probably why you forgot to mention him! The transition has been so seamless, you'd never know we lost an All-Pro safety.
Dont forget Gore and Vernon have had a great 1st halfs, same for Boldin. And of course Reid, Bowman.

Originally posted by 49erphan:
Not one of the bigger good things, but Wilhoite has come in when necessary and done a nice job of covering for Willis when needed. The "next man up" in most positions have been doing pretty well - except for at wide receiver.

I would say one of the bigger good things is how the team came out of the second and third game travesties and have developed into playing really well as a TEAM.

Glad you brought this up. It's a great point.

In retrospect, I view the Seattle/Indy games as "humbling" losses. I think with all the Superbowl hype the 49ers had going into the season the players probably felt like they already earned it. And how they responded is probably the best stretch of 49ers football I've ever seen in my life. lol
The san francisco football 49ers
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by 49erphan:

Glad you brought this up. It's a great point.

In retrospect, I view the Seattle/Indy games as "humbling" losses. I think with all the Superbowl hype the 49ers had going into the season the players probably felt like they already earned it. And how they responded is probably the best stretch of 49ers football I've ever seen in my life. lol

I agree, and to be honest, I think those two losses have made us better. As I said after the two losses, sometimes adversity is what toughens a team and makes them Super Bowl contenders. The 1988 team had to go through some tough losses, and Bill Walsh was hearing a lot of criticism. But they came together at the right time and ended up winning the Super Bowl. I honestly think that if we had beaten the Colts, we would not have come out as focused as we did the rest of the way. Hopefully this attitude and focus carries on and we can keep the winning streak going.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

lol thanks a lot man. You made me lol at work
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
lol thanks a lot man. You made me lol at work

Share 49ersWebzone