LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Biggest issues to be fixed during the bye week

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Biggest issues to be fixed during the bye week

• Mayor
  • Veteran
In my mind, the biggest issue comes from the penalties. We should fix it rapidly.
Originally posted by Mayor:
In my mind, the biggest issue comes from the penalties. We should fix it rapidly.

Its gotten better every week.
I think the biggest thing this week is seriously getting Manningham in the mix and getting him involved in the game plan.

I think we've cleaned it up pretty efficiently. It was ridiculous the first few weeks!
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
...but the last opponents weren`t that strong....
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I think the biggest thing this week is seriously getting Manningham in the mix and getting him involved in the game plan.

True. I think getting Manningham (& Crabtree) at full strength directly relates to our SB chances. Both these guys will take at least a few weeks to get into game shape and contribute.
It all ties to getting home field advantage at this point.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Its gotten better every week.

I posted this in the game thread but I think it's worth bringing up.

One of the reasons we are doing better is we have cut down penalties.

39 in the 1st 4 games and only 16 in the last 4.

4 Jags, 5 titans, 4 Cards, 3 Texans...... Rams 10, Colts 6, Seattle 12, Packers 11

So let's say we keep doing well on the penalties and the pass game gets better with Manningham and Crabtree and the pass rush gets better with Aldon and if need be we blitz more (like we have been). I don't think we felt the need to blitz the Jaguars or Titans. I think Williams is done so James or Cox will handle PR/KR. Dixon might even get KR. Leaves run defense and play clock management. Like someone said a part of it is the 49ers milking the clock and shifting a lot. Kap's also been given the ability to kill plays so that is another thing. I hope it's not the plays being sent in to late like it was with Raye and Alex. Kap has to learn though to keep an eye on it. He can't shift so late; if it's too late don't shift, don't kill the play or call timeout. The sidelines, Boldin, etc shouldn't have to call timeout for him. He has to be aware of that and worst comes to worst and we need to call timeout he should be keeping an eye on it and calling the timeout. So far it hasn't hurt us too bad but one of these games we will need those 3 on defense to get the ball back and we won't have them. As for run defense the only team it scares me with is Lynch. Other than that not too concerned. In 2011 we had one of the top run d's but one of the lower pass d's... in 2012 and 2013 our pass d is top 5 but our run d has fallen off some. Just not likely you can have tops in both. In today's nfl I'd rather do well vs the pass than the run. Not like anyone has really killed us in the run minus Lynch (and Bradshaw but that game we blew because of many other reasons).
23 yards rushing against the rams makes lynch less intimidating.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NCommand:
Play calling on both sides. 100% on Roman and Fangio.

Roman...needs to add in more pro-style passing plays where the QB has multiple progression reads and true receiving options that also include the TE, RB & FB as true outlets for CK. Needs to incorporate the next wave of offense (diversified personnel) to combat a defense that can stuff the run and disrupt the annointed receiver. We have many areas we need to work on...RZ offense, first down production, ad lib plays, taking several DEEP shots down field, screens (outside and middle), etc. Lots to work on if we want to win the Superbowl.

Fangio...no question, needs to pull a Tom Coughlin and adjust to today's NFL more and work in a serious rotation along the DL and even OLB at times. Needs to stop playing his CB's off 15 yards on 3rd and 5 (perpetual issues). Needs to work in Wright more and get Rogers, er, RoDgers out of covering the slot. I'd actually look to move Morris there or perhaps Wright if he shows well. Scheme is the theme for 2013. Yes, watch the Rams defensive game plan last night against the Hawks. Quite simply, they played the Hawks the same way the Hawks play everyone (and get away with it). Do the same b/c we have better personnel than the Rams and we're much deeper. MAKE THEM BEAT YOU!

We need work in the other areas you noted as well. Still a vanilla scheme pass rush. Zero "dynamic" return abilities. Relying way too much on the health and production of Manningham and Crabtree.

Full agreement.

Though I was impressed by some of the play design and play calling against the Jags, it was the Jags. Easy to look good against that group of cast offs. My greatest concern is the lack of diversity in the passing game.

I wonder if Fangio even watches other games (I assume he does). The best defenses play man then put 8 in the box and dare you to complete a pass. The 49ers seem to be afraid they won't bring enough pressure to protect man coverage if they commit 8 to the box so they sit back in zones and neither pressure the passer or challenge receivers off the LOS. We have seen Seattle, Indianapolis and now the Rams use that formula and it works.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Not surprised, I think he's been playing through injury the past three weeks (dangerous game to be playing), he's also gonna be 28 in April; Seattle is gonna try and draft him some compliments in the offseason one would assume.

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Not surprised, I think he's been playing through injury the past three weeks (dangerous game to be playing), he's also gonna be 28 in April; Seattle is gonna try and draft him some compliments in the offseason one would assume.

I dont doubt they do that, still trying to follow our blueprint. lol
Originally posted by Kelv:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Britt is not worth trading for, he is a complete headcase, did you not see the titans/niners game?

Yes I did but he'd be available for a 5th or 6th, chance to play for a contender to motivate him for FA next year. As you say he's burnt his bridges at the Titans but we could give him an opportunity to show something. I take your point but its low risk high reward as far as I can see.

I saw a tweet recently that said he was available for a 6th pick to anyone. No takers.
Getting the fans to calm down and enjoy the successes on the field.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Get used to the clock management issue. Its a necessary evil right now I'm afraid. They're aren't taking it down to one second because they are inept at getting the snap off or the play in like so many want to believe. They're doing this to help Kaep. Taking the play clock down to 1 makes the defense declare their intentions a lot of the time. If we have to take a timeout here and there because of it they will. With our WR's struggling and defenses loading the box it has helped tremendously. They will continue to do this in any venue not named Clink or superdome or whatever New Orleans is calling that hole these days.
You're talking apples and oranges here. Running the clock down to 1 second and failing to get the play in on time are not mutually exclusive. If what you said is true, they could easily get to the line with 15-20 seconds left on the play clock and just delay the snap. They don't do that. Instead, they frequently to the line with inadequate time and shoot themselves in the foot.

I really think that the clock management issues are the most important. One, they are low-hanging fruit -- in theory, it should be very easy to fix this issue. Two, it is of monumental importance. I have never understood the rationale behind taking a timeout on first and 10. That is so absurd. Not having time outs at the end of the game can, and usually does, cost your team an entire possession at the end of either half. Think back to the Super Bowl: shortly after the blackout, Kap took a timeout on first and ten from the Niners own 40. At the end of the game, we would've had a chance to get the ball back with ~40-50 seconds left. Instead, because we burned that timeout, Balitmore ran the clock down to like 15 seconds, then burned another 10 by running around with their punter and taking a safety.

Seriously though, what am I missing? Why are teams -- especially the 49ers -- so eager to burn timeouts on 1st and 10? 1st and 15 is tough, but it's not insurmountable; when the consequence of taking one is often losing an entire possession late in the game, how in blazing hell do teams deem it worth taking the time out!?!??!?!
[ Edited by theduke85 on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM ]
Originally posted by jays9ers:
First off let me say that we have been pretty darn good these past 5 games! But great teams are always looking to improve so these are some of the issues I think should be addressed during the bye week.

Pass Rush: Though we didn't really need the pass rush to step up big time to beat the Jags Sunday, we will need the pass rush to step up for better passing teams. We are missing Aldon BIG TIME and the fact that not one of our front 3-4 could win a one on one battle against the Jags is a little concerning... Yes the guys are hurting up front and the bye week should help heal some of those bodies..

Inept WR play: .......THANK GOD FOR BOLDIN. If we didn't make this trade during the off season, could you imagine what our offense would look like right now.. The reinforcements are coming but relying on 2 Wr's coming off serious injuries may come back to bite us if they aren't up to par then we will struggle come playoff time. I'd like to see us make a move before the trade deadline buuuuuuuut it probably won't happen...

Run Defense: We have quietly not been doing so well with our run defense. But the offense has been scoring and forcing teams to play catch up. With the D-line hurting and a less than 100% Willis the run D has been allowing teams to gain some serious ground against them. When we play a legit team that can run and throw, that will be a PROBLEM for this D.. Maybe I'm overreacting but my eyes have seen some chinks in the armor.

Return duties: Kyle Williams goes out and Big DIX breaks off a long return... I'm not on the get rid of Williams bandwagon. I think he'd be best in the slot as a 3rd option. Yes his PR have not been spectacular but he's been sure handed with handling punts.. Would just like to see more explosiveness from the return game.

Thoughts??

Disagree on Williams. The guy is garbage and is hurting the team. He can't get open and he can't catch. He needs to go.

Inept WR play is our biggest problem. Any time you have a guy who is at best a decent #4 WR playing as your #2 receiver, you have major issues. I wish we would have made a move for Gordon (and no, I'm not one of those people who think we should trade or sign everybody available) because nobody knows how Manningham and Crabs are going to play coming off those injuries.
Share 49ersWebzone