There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Biggest issues to be fixed during the bye week

Biggest issues to be fixed during the bye week

To me, the pass rush can easily be addressed with Aldon coming back, Tank Carradine coming in, and more frequent blitzes with Bowman and Willis. The wide receiver situation can also be fixed with Manningham and Crabs coming back and the possible addition of a receiver via trade.

The thing that I am most concerned about at this point, is actually the run defense. MJD and the weak ass Jaguars had possibly their best game running the ball against us. Our run defense used to be dominant. Our line would never get pushed back. This has not been the case this year. Our run D has been suspect and I'm not sure why and I'm not sure how we can fix it. Mcdonald and Justin Smith just don't seem to be as stout against the run. Wish we could get that dominant Run D back, then our defense would be great again with the way our secondary has been playing.
The Pass Rush has been there without Aldon, so I am not worried about that. They didn't have it sunday, cause they didnt need it. Not a Problem for me.

The WR play will be fixed with the return of Mario & Crabs. Not worried about this either.

Return Duties is a concern for me. Hopefully the 49ers let LMJ take over.

Rush Defense needs to play better.
Play calling on both sides. 100% on Roman and Fangio.

Roman...needs to add in more pro-style passing plays where the QB has multiple progression reads and true receiving options that also include the TE, RB & FB as true outlets for CK. Needs to incorporate the next wave of offense (diversified personnel) to combat a defense that can stuff the run and disrupt the annointed receiver. We have many areas we need to work on...RZ offense, first down production, ad lib plays, taking several DEEP shots down field, screens (outside and middle), etc. Lots to work on if we want to win the Superbowl.

Fangio...no question, needs to pull a Tom Coughlin and adjust to today's NFL more and work in a serious rotation along the DL and even OLB at times. Needs to stop playing his CB's off 15 yards on 3rd and 5 (perpetual issues). Needs to work in Wright more and get Rogers, er, RoDgers out of covering the slot. I'd actually look to move Morris there or perhaps Wright if he shows well. Scheme is the theme for 2013. Yes, watch the Rams defensive game plan last night against the Hawks. Quite simply, they played the Hawks the same way the Hawks play everyone (and get away with it). Do the same b/c we have better personnel than the Rams and we're much deeper. MAKE THEM BEAT YOU!

We need work in the other areas you noted as well. Still a vanilla scheme pass rush. Zero "dynamic" return abilities. Relying way too much on the health and production of Manningham and Crabtree.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:04 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need to give Kap some help in the passing game. He can't throw it to himself. Crabs and Mario should be a god send. Can't wait for the second half of the season.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
To me, the pass rush can easily be addressed with Aldon coming back, Tank Carradine coming in, and more frequent blitzes with Bowman and Willis. The wide receiver situation can also be fixed with Manningham and Crabs coming back and the possible addition of a receiver via trade.

The thing that I am most concerned about at this point, is actually the run defense. MJD and the weak ass Jaguars had possibly their best game running the ball against us. Our run defense used to be dominant. Our line would never get pushed back. This has not been the case this year. Our run D has been suspect and I'm not sure why and I'm not sure how we can fix it. Mcdonald and Justin Smith just don't seem to be as stout against the run. Wish we could get that dominant Run D back, then our defense would be great again with the way our secondary has been playing.

They're both injured. McDonald with the torn bicep and Smith with a shoulder injury. I think his shoulder injury is much more serious than we're all lead to believe.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

They're both injured. McDonald with the torn bicep and Smith with a shoulder injury. I think his shoulder injury is much more serious than we're all lead to believe.

I knew Mcdonald was injured, didn't realize Smith was injured as well. Just though Smith's play has fallen off due to age. We really need to get that dominant run D back again. I loved that s**t when no one could run on us.
Get used to the clock management issue. Its a necessary evil right now I'm afraid. They're aren't taking it down to one second because they are inept at getting the snap off or the play in like so many want to believe. They're doing this to help Kaep. Taking the play clock down to 1 makes the defense declare their intentions a lot of the time. If we have to take a timeout here and there because of it they will. With our WR's struggling and defenses loading the box it has helped tremendously. They will continue to do this in any venue not named Clink or superdome or whatever New Orleans is calling that hole these days.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Getting healthy. Those answers the 2 biggest needs in wr and passrushing.

Agreed. Adding Manningham and Carradine will help WR and pass rush big time. Getting Aldon back after the bye would be cake, but Carradine would improve the pass rush right off the bat too.

I would also like to see us implement some sort of hand communication for making adjustment's at the LOS in loud environments. If the Seacocks win the division, the road to the super-bowl will go through Seattle. We need to be prepared to win there.
Originally posted by Kelv:
Passing Game - Honestly I think that when you consider how much opposing teams have concentrate on Kap running on 3rd down it clearly demonstrates how poor our wrs have been. So often there's a spy on Kap there should be more single coverage on wrs 2 & 3 but we haven't been able to take advantage of it. I hope Manningham and Crabtree will make a difference but how long will it take for them to get up to speed? It would worry me sending a second for Gordon. He's clearly got Top 10 talent but the Browns seem willingly to let him go. If I was the Browns' GM I'd want him on board next year to give my new QB a reliable target. Is it because he's such a head case they think he's destined for a year long suspension? I'd send a low round pick to the Titans for Britt instead.

Pass Rush - Missing Aldon is massive and Brooks hasn't stepped up. We've seen how effective Bowman and Willis can be blitzing and I think we need to consistently involve these guys and be a bit more creative. Skuta has been solid but isn't dynamic enough to impact as a pass rusher so that enables teams to scheme away from Brooks. Lemonier doesn't have the experience to step in as a 3 down player so his pass rush skills haven't been put into play on 1st & 2nd downs.

Run D - We don't have a true NT and it shows. The 3-4 needs one and no matter how well you scheme its tough without a big body to keep guards off the ILBs. Not sure how we can fix it in season and can't think of a player that's available.

Doesn't mean anything. Remember they traded Richardson too. they're having a genuine firesale.
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Britt is not worth trading for, he is a complete headcase, did you not see the titans/niners game?

Yes I did but he'd be available for a 5th or 6th, chance to play for a contender to motivate him for FA next year. As you say he's burnt his bridges at the Titans but we could give him an opportunity to show something. I take your point but its low risk high reward as far as I can see.
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice4TD:
Doesn't mean anything. Remember they traded Richardson too. they're having a genuine firesale.

Not sure they were enamoured with Richardson whereas it's pivotal to a young QB to have somebody to throw to. The other backs in Cleveland and Indy have run the ball more effectively than him this year so maybe the Browns just took an opportunity to get something back for an average player? Although I might just be bitter cause I got burnt by Trent in my fantasy team...
Many issues, like all teams. The receiver dilemma for sure, and don't think it's all solved with the return of Crabs and Manny, cause they won't be at full speed. Williams needs to go; has shown virtually no value as a receiver or PR (Mr Fair Catch, along with fumbles and muffs), and we have as good or better options as a KR (LMJ and Dixon, if we don't trade him). The pass rush should improve with the return of Aldon, the development of Lemonier and Cowboy getting healthy (we'll have to see what Carradine and Dial add to the mix at some point).
Run D is perplexing, going from supernatural last year to just natural. Not sure why, but maybe the above-mentioned new guys will help that.
Kap, as good as he is, needs to learn to look off defenders more, maybe a pump fake now and then, know when to take a little velocity off when it's not absolutely necessary, and for gosh sakes, stop taking the damn clock down to zero! How many timeouts have we wasted to avoid a delay of game?
The biggest issue though, is fairly all-encompassing, and that's getting everyone healthy. a lot of problems get minimized when you're at full strength.
get the injured dudes and Aldon back into the groove. Get VD's hammy healed up
O-line consistency, pass rushing, healthy receivers.

I think a few viable slant plays would help our late down efficiency.
Run D.

It has been getting gashed by big gains. I guess that could be do to injuries but it will be a problem down the road.