LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Biggest issues to be fixed during the bye week

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Biggest issues to be fixed during the bye week

First off let me say that we have been pretty darn good these past 5 games! But great teams are always looking to improve so these are some of the issues I think should be addressed during the bye week.

Pass Rush: Though we didn't really need the pass rush to step up big time to beat the Jags Sunday, we will need the pass rush to step up for better passing teams. We are missing Aldon BIG TIME and the fact that not one of our front 3-4 could win a one on one battle against the Jags is a little concerning... Yes the guys are hurting up front and the bye week should help heal some of those bodies..

Inept WR play: .......THANK GOD FOR BOLDIN. If we didn't make this trade during the off season, could you imagine what our offense would look like right now.. The reinforcements are coming but relying on 2 Wr's coming off serious injuries may come back to bite us if they aren't up to par then we will struggle come playoff time. I'd like to see us make a move before the trade deadline buuuuuuuut it probably won't happen...

Run Defense: We have quietly not been doing so well with our run defense. But the offense has been scoring and forcing teams to play catch up. With the D-line hurting and a less than 100% Willis the run D has been allowing teams to gain some serious ground against them. When we play a legit team that can run and throw, that will be a PROBLEM for this D.. Maybe I'm overreacting but my eyes have seen some chinks in the armor.

Return duties: Kyle Williams goes out and Big DIX breaks off a long return... I'm not on the get rid of Williams bandwagon. I think he'd be best in the slot as a 3rd option. Yes his PR have not been spectacular but he's been sure handed with handling punts.. Would just like to see more explosiveness from the return game.

Thoughts??
[ Edited by jays9ers on Oct 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM ]
Clock management
Originally posted by jreff22:
Clock management

Word son....word... But other than last Sunday Kap has done a pretty good job with the clock..
Pass Rush indeed!!!! Where's the sacks? Fock! Ray looks like his arm might be an issue down the line. Cowboy is the only one who looks like he's hustling the most. I think our NT's is the the weak link. I know at times they flash some good plays, but need more pressure. Of course Injuries play a part. I'd actually like to see us trade for a D-lineman. Strengthen the depth. How much can we really expect from two rooks????

All this talk about Aldon coming back? Ok so he does but it will take him a bit to get back into game shape.

Our Wr's is what it is. I doubt any trade in that area. They will lean on Mario & Crab especially w/o having to give up a draft pick. (If they can keep their picks it helps better for a draft day trade.)
all 4 of em plus

Originally posted by jreff22:
Clock management
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:
Pass Rush indeed!!!! Where's the sacks? Fock! Ray looks like his arm might be an issue down the line. Cowboy is the only one who looks like he's hustling the most. I think our NT's is the the weak link. I know at times they flash some good plays, but need more pressure. Of course Injuries play a part. I'd actually like to see us trade for a D-lineman. Strengthen the depth. How much can we really expect from two rooks????

All this talk about Aldon coming back? Ok so he does but it will take him a bit to get back into game shape.

Our Wr's is what it is. I doubt any trade in that area. They will lean on Mario & Crab especially w/o having to give up a draft pick. (If they can keep their picks it helps better for a draft day trade.)

Im pretty sure they're in rehab
where to celebrate after they cut kyle williams
  • thl408
Originally posted by jays9ers:
First off let me say that we have been pretty darn good these past 5 games! But great teams are always looking to improve so these are some of the issues I think should be addressed during the bye week.

Pass Rush: Though we didn't really need the pass rush to step up big time to beat the Jags Sunday, we will need the pass rush to step up for better passing teams. We are missing Aldon BIG TIME and the fact that not one of our front 3-4 could win a one on one battle against the Jags is a little concerning... Yes the guys are hurting up front and the bye week should help heal some of those bodies..

Inept WR play: .......THANK GOD FOR BOLDIN. If we didn't make this trade during the off season, could you imagine what our offense would look like right now.. The reinforcements are coming but relying on 2 Wr's coming off serious injuries may come back to bite us if they aren't up to par then we will struggle come playoff time. I'd like to see us make a move before the trade deadline buuuuuuuut it probably won't happen...

Run Defense: We have quietly not been doing so well with our run defense. But the offense has been scoring and forcing teams to play catch up. With the D-line hurting and a less than 100% Willis the run D has been allowing teams to gain some serious ground against them. When we play a legit team that can run and throw, that will be a PROBLEM for this D.. Maybe I'm overreacting but my eyes have seen some chinks in the armor.

Return duties: Kyle Williams goes out and Big DIX breaks off a long return... I'm not on the get rid of Williams bandwagon. I think he'd be best in the slot as a 3rd option. Yes his PR have not been spectacular but he's been sure handed with handling punts.. Would just like to see more explosiveness from the return game.

Thoughts??

#1 for me is run defense. It hasn't been an exposed problem, but HOU and TEN were getting some success until the score quickly got away from them. ARI and IND also had good days running. It is a bigger area to improve upon than the pass rush imo. It's just been masked recently by how quickly the team has gotten out to a lead. Good call.

Offensively for me it's rotating the Gore/Hunter combo some more. If it's a case of Hunter not being as good a pass protector, then I understand. I just think a fresh Gore in the 4th quarter can be what 18 play drives are made of and I'd love to see more of that.
Injuries - dudes need to rest up for the next 11-12 games(wildcard bye pending)
Originally posted by AUniner:
Injuries - dudes need to rest up for the next 11-12 games(wildcard bye pending)

oh itll be ours man. were kickin ass right now and were only gonna get better with all the talent coming off the injured list after the bye. not to mention seattle lookin pretty weak lately (f**kin rams...) this is our division and that bye week is ours

Finding a spare #1 WR and a good KR/PR are unlikely/unrealistic at this point but one can hope for a miracle or two.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Finding a spare #1 WR and a good KR/PR are unlikely/unrealistic at this point but one can hope for a miracle or two.

i think they should use the extra week to give LMJ some snaps at receiver. hes great in space and he wont get any snaps at RB since Hunter is great right behind gore. LMJ is the best KR we have and hes good in space. get him some snaps as a receiver and see what he can do. the more playmakers and speed we can get on the field, the more defenses have to worry about
Originally posted by thl408:
#1 for me is run defense. It hasn't been an exposed problem, but HOU and TEN were getting some success until the score quickly got away from them. ARI and IND also had good days running. It is a bigger area to improve upon than the pass rush imo. It's just been masked recently by how quickly the team has gotten out to a lead. Good call.

Offensively for me it's rotating the Gore/Hunter combo some more. If it's a case of Hunter not being as good a pass protector, then I understand. I just think a fresh Gore in the 4th quarter can be what 18 play drives are made of and I'd love to see more of that.
Yes I to think this is quietly one of my biggest concerns. Carolina might cause us some problems with Cam a running qb and a good rb. Not sure where the help will come from for the D-line. Hopefully health will improve and the D will improve.

Also the Gore issue has been a concern of mine. I don't want to run him into the ground before the playoffs buuuuut he's soo darn good it's hard to keep him off the field! Love that guy!
Pass rush and clock management.
Getting healthy. Those answers the 2 biggest needs in wr and passrushing.
Share 49ersWebzone