LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

2013 - Week 8: Thoughts after rewatching the game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Kap: CAREER regular season statline as a starter - 15 starts, 233 comp, 390 att, 59.74 comp%, 3184 yards, 8.16 YPA, 19 TDs, 8 INTs, 93.57 QB Rating. I know some of you don't like the running statline, but next week will be the last week I do it because he'll have reached 16 regular season starts. Say what you will about what it means or doesn't mean, but I do it for me because I'm curious. Another solid game for Kap. POOR opponent, but good game nonetheless. I really hope the "he only threw for 160+ yards" crowd doesn't chime in again here. It doesn't matter. I won't go into the QBR because I've always thought the stats was bogus, but Kap had himself a very good day. It does make me a bit nervous tho when he's diving headfirst into the endzone.

2) Kyle Williams: ......ok.....I've been defending this kid since those fumbles in the 2011 NFC Championship Game. He's got some physical ability...but the mental aspect of the game is clearly escaping him. He makes bad decisions. He doesn't secure the ball. In the grand scheme of things it meant almost nothing....but the kick return at the end of the game was my last straw. That was one of the dumbest things I've seen in a LONG time. His head wasn't in it. There was ZERO excuse for that. I'm finally on the "get rid of Kyle Williams" bandwagon. At the very least, my expectation is that Kyle will be inactive and we'll begin to see alot more of LaMichael James.

3) Frank: Solid day running the ball. Again, bad opponent, but the Jags were selling out to stop the run and they still couldn't stop it. The block tho on the first Kap TD run...wow. Thats two week in a row he's done that. You gotta love a premiere RB who willing to go do the dirty work.

4) Kendall: Simply a very different runner than Frank. Kendall is capable of ripping off huge runs, but he's also capable of routinely getting hit on a 5 yard loss. Alot of this has to do with the types of plays they run when Kendall is in the game. I really like them getting Kendall more carries...but he requires a bit of patience. He's a guy who will get very little or take losses...and then hit one big. He is not and never will be the incredible inside runner that Frank is simply because he doesn't have Franks greatest strength....vision. He is still tho a fantastic #2 back. When they hit those outside runs he just has so much speed and quickness, yet can still break tackles. It will be interesting to see how Lattimore changes things next year.

5) Pass Rush: STILL a concern. I've read other here say "sacks aren't the only way to pressure". I'm sorry, but we are watching different games. They aren't getting that much pressure either. When they ARE getting pressure it is very often because they are being forced to Blitz...something they don't like to do. One of the biggest strengths of this defense over the last few years has been their ability to get pressure with 4 and drop 7. If they have to manufacture pressue (IE, blitz), QBs like Drew Brees will find the open man 99% of the time. I like Lemonier. Skuta has played well...but lets not sit here and pretend we don't miss Aldon. Are the Niners 5-0 without him? Yes. Has the defense played well? Yes. Are they "just fine" without him. NO. I applaud the 49ers for keeping it together in his absense, but they are a FAR better D with him in the game...particularly when these teams start going pass happy at the end of games. Hopefully he's got his crap together and can make a significant contribution down the stretch.

6) We made it: Damn....we got here. 6-2 at the bye and a significant # of players who will be coming back. A number of players who are playing with some injuries that will get the rest they need. When the Niners were at 1-2, things were pretty dark. People will say "Well, they haven't been playing anyone". Well, good teams beat the teams they are supposed to beat. That's what they have been doing. They have been CRUSHING the teams they are supposed to beat and doing it shorthanded. The Niners have scored 30+ in 5 consecustive games and actually also did so in week one. They haven't done that since Steve Young was the QB. I don't care who they play...that's impressive. The second half of this season should be interesting. Every single week of the season is vital to catching the Seahawks...who get the Rams, Bucs, Falcons and Vikings before the bye.

7) The walking dead: Manningham. Carradine. Wright. Moody. Hopefully Aldon. Crabtree in a few weeks. All these guys represent some great reenforcements here at midseason. It does beg the question tho....who about to be gone. I think Nnamdi is all but a forgone conclusion. Kyle Williams? Anthony Dixon in a trade? I hope they don't dunp too many special teamers as those coverage units have been outstanding this year.

8) More late game issues: Its really a silight nitpick, but they won 42-10...hard to find too much to complain about. I do see them giving up way to many yards late in games. They'd have also given up points if Jacksonville were anything close to an NFL calibre team. Again...I think some of that is lack of pass rush and alot is playing prevent...but its something to keep an eye on.

9) Cyprien: Wow. I admit, I really liked the guy. I wanted the 49ers to draft him. I was appearantly WAY off. LOL. Reid appears to be SOOOO much better. It's early on and he's on a really bad team, but he got trucked several times yesterday, got juked by Frank and made a stupid penalty. SOOO glad the Niners drafted Reid.

10) Jags: I gotta say...its pretty hard to have 10 relevant things to say after a Jags game. LOL. There were times yesterday that I actually felt sorry for them. They just couldn't do anything. They were powerless to stop the train. 4 drives. 4 TDs. I feel bad for guys like MJD who has to waste what llittle time is left on this team. It really accentuates how badly I want the Niners to get Frank a title.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
shout out to the guys who have filled in for the walking wounded, they have done a fine fine job, aside from kyle, shout out to lee dawson(who people hated in week one) and overall special teams,,, sure it was a bad team but we did what elite teams are supposed to do to those teams, we start fast, we take them out early, we do not let them THINK they can beat us. we did not do that last year to the rams and we saw what took place,, this is a very under rated intangible for this team,
I agree. Kap good. Kyle bad. Nice post.
I just hope the wide receivers, other than Boldin, start to get open. Hopefully Manningham can do this.
Great work as always...

I may be the only person to be in the "QBR" camp, but I think that stat has accurately depicted Kaep's last two games - outstanding.

It's only a little thing, but I love how Boldin recognized the time was expiring and called a TO... He's a great addition, on all fronts!!
It's about time Marvin...geesh. Waited all morning. Ha! Great positive write-up and any concerns are always valid (those tend to be exposed against much better teams).

5) Yeah, not sure if it's scheme or what but Skuta doesn't rush much, Brooks is in coverage a ton, we rarely ever rush Willis/Bowman and the DL is certainly nicked up. Granted, we may be "saving them" something even Roman alludes too but bring on the reserves and let's lose the excuses!

6) 6-2! And rolling. This is about where most fans had us. We have 3 tough games coming out of the break (2 away games on the East Coast) so we better have our A-game ready. Seattle has THE easiest schedule ever down this stretch. Even their hardest game (besides us), the Saints, is at home after a bye-week. No room for error here if we want that #1 seed and take it away from SeAdderal.

8) Yeah, they were saying our RZ defense was worst in the NFL. Really? That doesn't help when your own RZ offense isn't very good either, right? In the end, it's all about stopping the points and scoring as many as you can in the RZ. Total yards mean nothing. This is an area we need to work on for both units.

PS: Reid is unbelievable for so many reasons. The second he steps out, it's a trainwreck out there so let's pray for a healthy year from him!
I always come to Niner Talk after the game looking for your "thoughts" post... Good stuff Marv. Appreciate the good read...
Pass rush pass rush pass rush... Thats the only concern I see from this game. Yes we didn't really need to scheme up a lot of exotic blitzes to beat the Jags, we were content on letting their inept play help win the game for us. Buuuuuut when our guys can't at least win a one on one match once or twice throughout the game that is concerning. Not gonna cut it playing against a legit QB.
One thing to add about Kaepernick is that in the last two weeks Roman has been using CK in a similar fashion as last season. Maybe the play calling is evolving or maybe Kaepernick is making better decisions on when to run, but it is working. If this keeps up, the dual threat of Kaepernick and Gore on the ground may soon open up the WR's a bit. When Kaepernick is strictly a drop back passer he is good, but you are limiting him to 50-60% of his arsenal.

The run game; 221 yards on the ground against Jacksonville and it looked fantastic. Discounting for opposition it is still a noteworthy progression for this team. No matter how well we play on offense passing the ball, it seems to me our big offensive lineman are most effective when they are given the opportunity to throw their weight around a bit and wear opponents down.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Oct 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

5) Pass Rush: STILL a concern. I've read other here say "sacks aren't the only way to pressure". I'm sorry, but we are watching different games. They aren't getting that much pressure either. When they ARE getting pressure it is very often because they are being forced to Blitz...something they don't like to do. One of the biggest strengths of this defense over the last few years has been their ability to get pressure with 4 and drop 7. If they have to manufacture pressue (IE, blitz), QBs like Drew Brees will find the open man 99% of the time. I like Lemonier. Skuta has played well...but lets not sit here and pretend we don't miss Aldon. Are the Niners 5-0 without him? Yes. Has the defense played well? Yes. Are they "just fine" without him. NO. I applaud the 49ers for keeping it together in his absense, but they are a FAR better D with him in the game...particularly when these teams start going pass happy at the end of games. Hopefully he's got his crap together and can make a significant contribution down the stretch.

Agreed...some people act like you just kicked their dog if you happen to mention the pass rush hasn't been getting it done lately. Yes, stats can be misleading, but in this case they are an accurate indicator. In the past 4 games, 160+ pass attempts and only 5 sacks...3 came in the lone game where they consistently got pressure, which was last week vs. Titans. And as you pointed out, these were games where from the 3rd qtr on the 49ers have had sizeable leads where they know the other team is passing, yet they're not consistently generating pressure. You don't have to have 4-5 sacks per game, but at least give me multiple hurries and hits.

With or without Aldon Smith, I do think the 49ers are going to have to blitz more. Not become blitz-happy, but trust the improved secondary and bring pressure on occasion off the edges, or up the middle with Bowman/Willis.

And yeah, LMJ needs to be returning kicks and KW needs to go.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Oct 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM ]

One pet peeve for me. They burned another time out early in the 1st quarter, and another that Boldin called (and was mentioned a few posts back). I cringe every time I hear Kaep yell "Kill', with 5 seconds on the play clock. This has been an issue for years. Why can't they get it fixed? Also, they are still obviously relying on QB reads and audible adjustments at the line. So when they are in New Orleans, or Seattle again the same old problem will be worse.
Good points as always Marvin, I really enjoy your posts.

My comments on the game are similar but less intricate. I think that Cowboy is on the last legs of his game. Hopefully Carradine will come out and learn from Cowboy before he retires. Saw a little of Dial in the second half and he is still trying to figure out where and what to do. So far he just takes up space and has offered nothing important for us but hopefully he is getting some reps and learning. I thought I saw some pressures and some hits on the QB. Bowman is an awsome pass rusher when he is focusing on the QB and not on the RB. Lemonier is still learning and looks like he will be a great number two pass rusher at least for this year. Brooks did not seem interested in getting to the QB. None the less the Niners took care of business, not as polished as we would like it but got it done.

I thought the play to Miller said just about the whole game - creative, successful, and kept people aware of the other players besides Davis and Boldin. I did not see McDonald get any throws to him. Davis and Boldin are wonderful receivers. Hopefully Manningham and then Crabtree will solve some of these peripheral WR problems. Williams is not a NFL caliber player. I would suspect that we will see him gone by the time the bye is over.

I though the run game was very consistent and was firing on all cylinders including Hunter. Gore played well in all phases and Kaep got some good runs in and we got four touchdowns out of the running game.

Special teams again focused on Williams. I think Dixon would be better than Williams as kick returner and punt returner especially if the goal is to get fair catches. It will be interesting to see how Harbaugh solves the punt returning issue before dealing with Carolina.

Defense over all handled their business. Pass rush is a concern but with the opponent they had they just had to contain enough and win the game - mission accomplished and no one got hurt.

Backfield got the job done. I still like Brock's aggressiveness but he got burned but still hopefully he learned. Almost had another interception and again overall they got the job done.

Final Observations - Still not enough screen passes to people like Hunter which I think would be great. Did not get McDonald into the passing game. Poor pass rush but Lemonier is getting reps which is good for us in the long run. Lots of unsettled people do to the people coming back. So lots of changes in the next two weeks. Still looking to get us fully jelled and ready for the final push. Lots of difficult games coming up especially Carolina, New Orleans, and Seattle. We will make the playoffs unless Kaep get hurt and then all bets are off.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
One pet peeve for me. They burned another time out early in the 1st quarter, and another that Boldin called (and was mentioned a few posts back). I cringe every time I hear Kaep yell "Kill', with 5 seconds on the play clock. This has been an issue for years. Why can't they get it fixed? Also, they are still obviously relying on QB reads and audible adjustments at the line. So when they are in New Orleans, or Seattle again the same old problem will be worse.

Its kinda done on purpose so I think it'll always be something of a problem. They intentionally shift and make calls that late to force the D to declare.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Getting to the line of scrimmage quicker would help some, but this has been a problem ever since Harbaugh became the head coach.

I still think it has been better this year, but still....
Originally posted by buck:

Getting to the line of scrimmage quicker would help some, but this has been a problem ever since Harbaugh became the head coach.

I still think it has been better this year, but still....

As I said before...that's because snapping the ball with very little time is done on purpose.
Share 49ersWebzone