There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

TRADE OR NO TRADE

TRADE OR NO TRADE

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/23486/20131028/von-miller-trade-rumors-seattle-seahawks-san-francisco-49ers-patriots.htm
Look, let's get this straight:

Will it be great if we got Gordon? Of course

Will we be doomed if we don't get Gordon? Nope

Gordon is extremely talented, and in my opinion is worth a 2nd rounder and a 6th rounder (or Kyle Williams, whatever Cleveland holds in more value). Instead of thinking about this as the "missing piece to a championship" or "the ticking time bomb of a WR", let's look at what this would mean for us NOW and in the future:

1. He is a deep threat
Pro: We haven't had a deep threat at WR since Antonio Bryant. Crabs/Boldin/Manningham are possession WRs who can break out if they get a seam, and VD is the only real deep threat on the squad. Gordon creates space, especially against press CBs (see KC, Cincinatti), whom we see against Seattle and Arizona consistently, and will see against teams keying on our running game later this year and into playoffs. Would be a great compliment to this offense.
Con: He consistently drops many passes. He might be getting a lot of these yards b/c everyone just throws to him. Our team doesn't require throwing since we "hopefully" aren't playing from behind, so that brings to question "will he still be productive if he's not thrown to 12-15 times a game?".

2. He has character issues with multiple failed drug tests (one more and out for year).
Con: Obviously hurts his value long term since he'd be on 24/7 watch to not f**k up. Also, if you can't trust him off the field, may affect ability for coaches/players to trust him on the field.
Pro: Makes a deal more manageable, instead of a 1st round value, drops him down to a late 2nd round value. Also, even if he fails another drug test, it would most likely be after this season (in the offseason), after we get Crabs back/resigned (it will happen, can't afford to handicap Kaep) and would still have him locked up for 2014/15, so long term is still positive.

We are in "win now" mode, while we still have a strong defense and a run game that is consistent. Next year, we don't know how Gore might be, if Lattimore is the answer, or if any of our guys will be under contract past next season. This is our best chance and putting a guy the level of Gordon on our squad for a late 2nd rounder between pick 60-64 (that we have an extra one around that spot thanks to Alex), I'd say take it now.

Best case he brings us an aspect to completely round out our offense, straightens out due to leadership on this squad, and is locked up until 2016 for cheap to save us cap space for Crabs, Kaep, and Aldon. Worst case, he gets suspended at the end of the season, loses out on 2014 season, and we are still just Crabtree and three random WRs. Gotta take risks to win (i.e. Kaep becoming starter last season, leaving Brady as starter over Bledsoe in 2001, etc.)
I'd trade a 1st rounder for Gordon. He's already one of the better deep ball WR's in the game. The only risk with Gordon is his off the field persona, which will be managed by having Boldin and VD mentor the young star.

If we traded our late 1st rounder for Gordon, we'd still have:

- Two picks in round 2
- Two picks in round 3
- One pick either in round 3 or 4 (Dashon Goldson compensatory pick)
- One pick in rounds 4-6
- Four picks in round 7

That's 12 picks in total. GO GET GORDON!
I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals showed interest in Nnamdi. Leon Hall is lost for the year with a torn achillies and the Bengals have a keen eye on giving second looks to players. Would be happy with a 7th rounder.

We actually sit in a good position to gain some picks due to the reinforcements coming. Instead of a team gambling to get some of our scraps via waiver, they can make a swap for a late rounder to insure they get our trim.

If anyone called and offered any pick on Nnamdi, Dixon, Moore or Williams I would be ecstatic.
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/23486/20131028/von-miller-trade-rumors-seattle-seahawks-san-francisco-49ers-patriots.htm

Never heard of that site. If that would happen, idk, why, we have enough OLBs, Aldon will be back. Makes no sense, would require multiple top level picks. Plus a new deal soon. Top 10 Money.

1 year left, 2014, $3,238,688, I can't see that happening. To me, thats speculation on their part.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
We aren't SEA so we won't be doing any Percy Harbin type deals. With 6 top 100 picks we can get a couple great WRs in this draft. We just need to wait for Mario and Crabtree to get back. We will be fine with the style of football we are playing. Josh Gordon is just too expensive and then he will need to learn the offense and keep Boldin and Crabtree off the field and earn Kap trust. I will pass on that

You mock Seattle (which is understandable), but we tried to trade for Harvin too. Let's not get blind to that fact.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
We aren't SEA so we won't be doing any Percy Harbin type deals. With 6 top 100 picks we can get a couple great WRs in this draft. We just need to wait for Mario and Crabtree to get back. We will be fine with the style of football we are playing. Josh Gordon is just too expensive and then he will need to learn the offense and keep Boldin and Crabtree off the field and earn Kap trust. I will pass on that

You mock Seattle (which is understandable), but we tried to trade for Harvin too. Let's not get blind to that fact.

Yeah but we wouldn't of given a 1st, 3rd and 7th, plus a $60M deal for Harvin.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Yeah but we wouldn't of given a 1st, 3rd and 7th, plus a $60M deal for Harvin.

Exactly why we didn't end up with him. Smarter move was Boldin for a 6th.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
I'd trade a 1st rounder for Gordon. He's already one of the better deep ball WR's in the game. The only risk with Gordon is his off the field persona, which will be managed by having Boldin and VD mentor the young star.

- Two picks in round 2
- Two picks in round 3
- One pick in rounds 4-6
- Four picks in round 7

Was just talking to a friend about this. I'd be tempted to offer a 1st rounder for Gordon. Maybe throw in LMJ and try to get back a 3rd or a 4th from Browns. Imagine having the likes of Boldin, Gordon, Manningham and Boldin at our WR slots. Youzza. Very tempting
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Yah that's not gonna happen with very little cap space and with all the off-field issues Miller has, 9ers already have one of those in Aldon Smith.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

- Two picks in round 2
- Two picks in round 3
- One pick in rounds 4-6
- Four picks in round 7

Offer a first round pick when all it would take is a second round to get him.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Never heard of that site. If that would happen, idk, why, we have enough OLBs, Aldon will be back. Makes no sense, would require multiple top level picks. Plus a new deal soon. Top 10 Money.

1 year left, 2014, $3,238,688, I can't see that happening. To me, thats speculation on their part.

Speculation is the name of the game in trade matters.
All I know is whatever trade we do seahawks will counter, those mofos are so afraid of losing to us

I don't believe it for a second, but we'd be unstoppable if we added von miller to our defense.
I have no doubt there are multiple offers on the table for the Browns to consider regarding Josh Gordon. I see the Browns being in a position of leverage as they are not required to trade him, even with all these trade rumors swirling around. Gordon does not seem to be pouting and continues to produce. The Browns are doing the right thing making these interested teams wait it out and are hoping to drive up the price until the very last minute.

The more I hear arguments from the 'make the trade' group, the more I think it is the right thing to do. Adding Gordon puts a whole new element to this offense that a 2nd round pick in the 2014 draft cannot guarantee. Speed and size on the outside makes defenses back the eff up. At the very least, Gordon can run hook/out routes all day. With the cushion Gordon commands, plus Kap's cannon, it's pitch and catch. Like some have said, even if he gets no targets, his presence alone will open up so much. Baalke likes to balance moves made for the future with moves made to help now. With Brock emerging as a good CB, the need for a CB in next year's draft is a bit mitigated. Use the coming out party by Brock to mortgage a bit of the future for immediate help. Banking on Crabs and Ham is a gamble that might work, but if it doesn't, it could mean the difference between winning at C-link and not winning.

As for learning the playbook, WR routes are WR routes. It's the same in every offense. It's just the terminology that has to be learned. The timing aspect isn't as crucial because Gordon gets separation, consistently. Not much of a need to throw him open.