LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

TRADE OR NO TRADE

Shop Find 49ers gear online

TRADE OR NO TRADE

I'm just a fan but getting a potential game breaking WR like Gordon seems like a no brainer to me. It be a high risk high reward gamble that is totally worth a second round pic in my opinion.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Originally posted by cciowa:
and we have managed to win five in a row anyway.. for the millionth time, you got two guys coming back and even at lets say 75 80 per cent, they will make us better in a month or two months than we are now,, and the way we are right now is not exactly tragic

K what about kyle then?
i have already shared my thoughts on that in his own personal thread
Well Gordon can help us out at both positions. 2 birds with one stone? Dont u think?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Well Gordon can help us out at both positions. 2 birds with one stone? Dont u think?

not at the price he or they want. we got the guys on the roster who can do the kick return and punt return thing and the two guys coming back will take care of the wide out thing. there are alot of ways to win a game and we are finding that out now. those two will help us and it does not cost us a pick

Gordon doesn't return kicks does he?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
we do not have to score 30 on seattle, 16-13 would be just fine just as long as we continue to be physical and not f**k with something that works. again you are focused to much on seattle,, lots of things change between now and then, if we lose games now, then seattle means nothing. i really do scoff at those who all of a sudden think gordon is going to be our savior and if we do not get him, we need to hide under the bed. come on. we do not NEED anyone in my opinion

How is it possible that we don't need anyone ? I am just gob-smacked people seem to have a rather short-termed memory. We had Crab, Mario and Vernon when we played Seattle last year and yet we got smoked. This year we played Anquan against them and he was completely shut down. Even our beloved GM Trent Baalke admits we need a burner so that it can provide a legit deep threat to make big plays downfield which was why he went out to draft AJ Jenkins, neddless to say he picked the wrong guy for the job.

I don't quite understand about fxxking with "something that works", in short NOTHING has worked ever since Russell Wilson took over under center plus with their team maturing. If you think we can beat Seattle by running Frank up their gut against that D-line and with them stuffing 8 in the box without having enough deep threats to draw coverage from their run D, then I don't know what to say.
i say you are to fixated on seattle. you do realize if we follow your theory and make all these changes and fix something that is not broken,, we probably will lose some games (see the colts when we got away from our game) leading up to seattle which will then make the importance of that game moot. no you just keep doing what has been working, filter in guys who have been hurt on both sides of the ball, take care of stuff for the next two months and then deal with seattle. trading a valuable first or second round pick for some guy who is becoming vastly over valued by the web zone as our savior, is laughable in my opinion

I don't know about being fixated on Seattle. All I know is when I look at the remaining schedule, the 2 strongest teams are the Saints and the Seahawks. Any argument there ? The 9ers have not lost to the Saints in 2 consecutive meetings whereas the Seahawks have not just beaten but literally annhilated us 2 games in a row. So, are you saying it doesn't make sense to place some emphasis on Seattle at least ?

Also, I am confused how by adding Gordon will make us lose some games ? Plus your concept of "don't fix something that ain't broke" is flawed. We have not been throwing the ball as much is because we are handicapped by our injured WRs. If you believe we can beat the tougher teams such as Seattle by throwing for say under 200 yards and with no passing TDs such as the case in the Titans game, I think you might need to think twice.

Whether Gordon can be our "saviour", that I don't know. But, what I do know is at least it is a step in the right direction. You will have a better understanding of what I am talking about if you can re-watch the Colts vs Seahawks game when you have time.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
GORDON !!!

not at the price he or they want. we got the guys on the roster who can do the kick return and punt return thing and the two guys coming back will take care of the wide out thing. there are alot of ways to win a game and we are finding that out now. those two will help us and it does not cost us a pick

Cc, i truely hope you are right.....
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
we do not have to score 30 on seattle, 16-13 would be just fine just as long as we continue to be physical and not f**k with something that works. again you are focused to much on seattle,, lots of things change between now and then, if we lose games now, then seattle means nothing. i really do scoff at those who all of a sudden think gordon is going to be our savior and if we do not get him, we need to hide under the bed. come on. we do not NEED anyone in my opinion

How is it possible that we don't need anyone ? I am just gob-smacked people seem to have a rather short-termed memory. We had Crab, Mario and Vernon when we played Seattle last year and yet we got smoked. This year we played Anquan against them and he was completely shut down. Even our beloved GM Trent Baalke admits we need a burner so that it can provide a legit deep threat to make big plays downfield which was why he went out to draft AJ Jenkins, neddless to say he picked the wrong guy for the job.

I don't quite understand about fxxking with "something that works", in short NOTHING has worked ever since Russell Wilson took over under center plus with their team maturing. If you think we can beat Seattle by running Frank up their gut against that D-line and with them stuffing 8 in the box without having enough deep threats to draw coverage from their run D, then I don't know what to say.
i say you are to fixated on seattle. you do realize if we follow your theory and make all these changes and fix something that is not broken,, we probably will lose some games (see the colts when we got away from our game) leading up to seattle which will then make the importance of that game moot. no you just keep doing what has been working, filter in guys who have been hurt on both sides of the ball, take care of stuff for the next two months and then deal with seattle. trading a valuable first or second round pick for some guy who is becoming vastly over valued by the web zone as our savior, is laughable in my opinion

I don't know about being fixated on Seattle. All I know is when I look at the remaining schedule, the 2 strongest teams are the Saints and the Seahawks. Any argument there ? The 9ers have not lost to the Saints in 2 consecutive meetings whereas the Seahawks have not just beaten but literally annhilated us 2 games in a row. So, are you saying it doesn't make sense to place some emphasis on Seattle at least ?

Also, I am confused how by adding Gordon will make us lose some games ? Plus your concept of "don't fix something that ain't broke" is flawed. We have not been throwing the ball as much is because we are handicapped by our injured WRs. If you believe we can beat the tougher teams such as Seattle by throwing for say under 200 yards and with no passing TDs such as the case in the Titans game, I think you might need to think twice.

Whether Gordon can be our "saviour", that I don't know. But, what I do know is at least it is a step in the right direction. You will have a better understanding of what I am talking about if you can re-watch the Colts vs Seahawks game when you have time.
i will not torture myself. i do know that we lost the game to the colts because we got away from the thing that is allowing us to win games now and if you did not see that,, then you need to look at that game again. nothing went right in the hawk game and in my opinion even if we had gordon in that game it would not have helped . we have not been throwing as much because we do not need to. we run it which works, we then make clever use of the pass and ck has been very very accurate as of late. sure he has not rung up fancy dancy fantasy football stats but who cares. you are also not giving our defense and special teams much credit for being able to hold down teams thus allowing us to be balanced, which is what you always want
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
To address you first point trading away a 2nd round pick isn't exactly giving up a king's ransom for a guy. I think most people in the trade for Gordon camp would at most trade a 2nd and a player or lower round pick for him.

Secondly he was only a 2nd round supplemental pick because of his baggage. He's not once in a generation kind of talent but he does have top tier talent for the position and would likely be a top 10 pick if he was clean. Recievers with top tier talent only slide if they have baggage like Moss and Dez and they really slide that far so the only way we get a guy with that talent is taking a guy with baggage or we draft in the top 10.

And lastly while we might not get full impact from this move this season he is still under contract until 2016 so it could have a huge payoff in 2014 and beyond.

Next season we're looking Crabtree, Baldwin, and Patton under contract so if it comes down using a 1st or 2nd round pick on drafting a WR or trading a 2nd rounder for Gordon I would much rather take my chances on trading for Gordon especially considering our recent track record when it comes to drafting the position.

Well, now you're changing your premise...initially, giving up a 2nd wasn't going to affect the draft, now you've moved to giving up a 2nd "isn't exactly giving away a king's ransom"...that's 2 different things. It will affect the draft and it certainly would have a big detrimental effect if Gordon gets busted again and is gone for a year.

Don't minimize 2nd round picks for this team...2nd round picks are gold in this league. Its where you can find impact players that fall for one reason or another and who will be cheap through their rookie contracts. That's especially important for this team as their salary cap structure is about to change starting with Kaep's new contract.

Well, how much help is he going to be if he gets busted and is gone for a year? Not a lot. Given his history, do you really want to go into a season depending on Josh Gordon knowing that even if he is a "top tier talent", he has shown a weakness for making selfish and poor decisions that could result in the 49ers losing not only Gordon for a year but that player that could have been drafted with the 2nd round pick given up to get him.

And, lets not forget..since his senior year in college, Gordon has not gone a full year without running into some kind of problem...what would make you think he could go the rest of 2013 through 2016 without an issue? On top of that, Cleveland has had him for the last year and this year. They know him better than anyone in the NFL. If they're willing to let him go despite his "top tier talent", that should tells you they don't think he can be trusted.

The recent history of drafting WR's? So...in the first 2 rounds, that consists of Crabtree and Jenkins. They hit on one and wiffed on one. Patton was a mid-round pick that got hurt once in TC and now so we don't know about him. Ronald Johnson was a failed 6th round pick. Not sure how much stock you can put in a failed 6th round pick.

I think Seattle and New Orleans are the two strongest teams, but Carolina is a close third. They are playing really well, their defense is superb, and they are running the ball effectively. They look a lot like us ... with arguably a better receiving corp.

I would vote NO on a trade for Gordon. I think we have the players on our roster - it's a matter of using them properly. Kyle Williams should not be the No. 2 receiver. I would rather they get creative with LaMichael James - use him in the slot ala Dexter McCluster - with Manningham ready by our next game to take over the No. 2 role. Baldwin is still learning the playbook but should get more reps. Crabtree's return will be icing on the cake.
nobody wants it from the niners right now. 5 straight wins scoring over 30 and holding teams down to 12 or so points a game. our defense is playing lights out and our offense has been doing what its been doing the last few years without receivers. just wait til Rio and Crabs come back and Aldon and Tank join this defense. seattle and NO are the toughest teams but I dont think they can hang with us as well as were playing right now
This is a no brainer! You must go after Gordon with the bank. You include any of the following to make it happen:

Baldwin
Williams
Dixon
Draft picks
Nnamdi
Rodgers (yes it's time because Wright is back)

Imagine your receiving core going into playoffs - Boldin, Crabs, Gordon, Manningham. I challenge any team in the NFL to defend that with VD and Gore on field as well. This championship door doesn't stay open forever and Gordon could be the type of move just like the niners made in their glory years with Deion. We have enough picks and KC is giving us their 2nd rounder. Baalke needs to get this done now.
  • buck
  • Veteran
god, i wish we had a little clock in the upper right hand corner of the screen to count down the time remaining till the trade deadline. i can not wait for this trade blather to go away

The trade deadline is rapidly approaching, but I am going to guess that if we do not obtain Gordon in a trade, this discussion will not go away.

It will simply transmutate into a we should have gotten the trade done discussion with Baalke being the highlighted villain.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
nobody wants it from the niners right now. 5 straight wins scoring over 30 and holding teams down to 12 or so points a game. our defense is playing lights out and our offense has been doing what its been doing the last few years without receivers. just wait til Rio and Crabs come back and Aldon and Tank join this defense. seattle and NO are the toughest teams but I dont think they can hang with us as well as were playing right now

Offense, defense, and special teams
Share 49ersWebzone