There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

TRADE OR NO TRADE

TRADE OR NO TRADE

  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,461
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
when was the last time one of our recievers caught a bomb over their shoulder in stride and go untouched for a TD?
no need to . we are scoring 30 plus points without that glittery stuff
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
when was the last time one of our recievers caught a bomb over their shoulder in stride and go untouched for a TD?


When was the last time you saw a power running team put up 30+ points per week? No need to air it out all over the place. We're still taking our shots downfield so those plays will come. Just not as often as a team that's putting the ball in the air 60 times.
It's pointless to trade for anyone. By the time they come in and build chemistry with Kapernick, Manningham and Crabtree will be back and have already built it.

And I agree with the doing fine without the "glittery stuff". Running the ball not only opens up the passing game but also the read option.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,461
Originally posted by mustangmele:
It's pointless to trade for anyone. By the time they come in and build chemistry with Kapernick, Manningham and Crabtree will be back and have already built it.

And I agree with the doing fine without the "glittery stuff". Running the ball not only opens up the passing game but also the read option.

this times infinity
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
when was the last time one of our recievers caught a bomb over their shoulder in stride and go untouched for a TD?


When was the last time you saw a power running team put up 30 points per week? No need to air it out all over the place. We're still taking our shots downfield so those plays will come. Just not as often as a team that's putting the ball in the air 60 times.

I will bet you any money there is no way in hell we will be able to score over 30 points on Seattle by running the ball. If you don't go big in the air you won't stand a chance in beating them nevermind scoring over 30 points. If you don't agree, re-watch the Colts game or even the Falcons Divisional Playoffs game (although they didn't beat them, but you will be able to see how they managed to jump out to a big lead with Julio Jones killing the Legion of Boom). You got to be aggressive and attack with the deep routes. But, of course to do so you will need the personnel. Apart from Vernon, there is noone who is fast enough and that is why we need Gordon.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by daragon:
Originally posted by dj43:
Josh Gordon is certainly a talent on the field but off the field and around the locker room, he is a train wreck. With Aldon Smith coming back (at some time) from his own off field issues to face likely league action, I doubt Baalke is willing to add another "problem child" to the roster.

If there is a trade, it won't be for Gordon.

You don't know that at all. The 49ers have no trouble bringing in guys with character concerns. We have a great locker room and a solid coaching staff. Your fears of a problem child are numbed down.

They have no problems because they don't bring in guys with character issues. That is why they have been so careful to do personal interviews with players, coaches and people around them in the past. Aldon was a surprise.

As we can all clearly see, Harbaugh/Roman is all about power running. WRs are only there to block and when passing is necessary. That is another reason why I highly doubt they will take a chance on a guy who is a me-first problem child when they would prefer not to pass in the first place.

I recognize Gordon's talent but I just don't believe his down side is worth the risk for a team that does not place a high value on the pass.

LOL. Where is all this Gordon is a problem child talk coming from? He got caught with codiene in his system which may or may not be a legit. Plenty of players have got caught with banned subs before, even Gonzo. It's not like Gordon is racking up DUI's and gun charges.

He is one substance abuse away from a minimum mandatory suspension of one year.

He got caught twice with codeine in his system twice. I think that makes him a problem child, but maybe I am not being fair to him.

If I thought he would be a good asset to the team, I would be all for it. However, here are some links showing his past problems going back to three failed drug tests in college:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a86c21/article/josh-gordon-on-and-off-the-field-a-risky-project-for-browns

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/schefter_teams_aware_and_leery_of_josh_gordons_off_the_field_issues/14635181

Gordon has his own explanations for the failed tests but it is clear the NFL did not buy them. So the question is: Is he clean and is he worth a second round pick given the fact Manningham and Crabtree will both be on the field before the playoffs begin?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by Thechad49:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
Interesting trade proposed by @AdamSchefter: Browns WR Josh Gordon to the 49ers for a second-round pick and WR Jon Baldwin

Wait is this an acual trade proposal we made or is Schefter just having fun?

I want us to keep Baldwin, we can deal Kyle Williams or Marlon Moore

That would be nice but I doubt you could get more than a 6th for either.
Originally posted by mustangmele:
It's pointless to trade for anyone. By the time they come in and build chemistry with Kapernick, Manningham and Crabtree will be back and have already built it.

And I agree with the doing fine without the "glittery stuff". Running the ball not only opens up the passing game but also the read option.

I agree with the options that are rentals like Nicks or Britt

Gordon though would be worth it since we would have him on a rookie deal till 2016 and easily the most talented of the names out there on the trading block.

Which is why I think we should strongly go after Gordon unless Cleveland's asking price is ridiculous. We're likely never going to be in position to draft a WR with his talent and we could acquire him without it adversely effecting our draft. So the reward imo outweighs the risk in this case.
Crabtree will not be at full strength or to what he was last year until next year fellas... Complete tear of the AcL... Not a partial tear like suggs.. I think its completely insane to think he will come back and all we need to worry about is chemistry..
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,461
Originally posted by Rascal:
I will bet you any money there is no way in hell we will be able to score over 30 points on Seattle by running the ball. If you don't go big in the air you won't stand a chance in beating them nevermind scoring over 30 points. If you don't agree, re-watch the Colts game or even the Falcons Divisional Playoffs game (although they didn't beat them, but you will be able to see how they managed to jump out to a big lead with Julio Jones killing the Legion of Boom). You got to be aggressive and attack with the deep routes. But, of course to do so you will need the personnel. Apart from Vernon, there is noone who is fast enough and that is why we need Gordon.

we do not have to score 30 on seattle, 16-13 would be just fine just as long as we continue to be physical and not f**k with something that works. again you are focused to much on seattle,, lots of things change between now and then, if we lose games now, then seattle means nothing. i really do scoff at those who all of a sudden think gordon is going to be our savior and if we do not get him, we need to hide under the bed. come on. we do not NEED anyone in my opinion
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Crabtree will not be at full strength or to what he was last year until next year fellas... Complete tear of the AcL... Not a partial tear like suggs.. I think its completely insane to think he will come back and all we need to worry about is chemistry..

Maybe Arizona will realize they have no hopes of capturing a Division title and will take Williams for Fitzgerald to help us accomplish our mutual goal of taking the Hawks out of the race.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,461
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Crabtree will not be at full strength or to what he was last year until next year fellas... Complete tear of the AcL... Not a partial tear like suggs.. I think its completely insane to think he will come back and all we need to worry about is chemistry..
if the season ended today, we are a team built for a deep playoff run. crabs and mario at 75 per cent would only make us better. they are our people and they are who ck feels comfortable with. not sure what is so hard to see in that regard. we are not some desperate team in need to a quick fix nor do we need to hire a hired gun to get us over the hump.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by daragon:
Originally posted by dj43:
Josh Gordon is certainly a talent on the field but off the field and around the locker room, he is a train wreck. With Aldon Smith coming back (at some time) from his own off field issues to face likely league action, I doubt Baalke is willing to add another "problem child" to the roster.

If there is a trade, it won't be for Gordon.

You don't know that at all. The 49ers have no trouble bringing in guys with character concerns. We have a great locker room and a solid coaching staff. Your fears of a problem child are numbed down.

They have no problems because they don't bring in guys with character issues. That is why they have been so careful to do personal interviews with players, coaches and people around them in the past. Aldon was a surprise.

As we can all clearly see, Harbaugh/Roman is all about power running. WRs are only there to block and when passing is necessary. That is another reason why I highly doubt they will take a chance on a guy who is a me-first problem child when they would prefer not to pass in the first place.

I recognize Gordon's talent but I just don't believe his down side is worth the risk for a team that does not place a high value on the pass.

LOL. Where is all this Gordon is a problem child talk coming from? He got caught with codiene in his system which may or may not be a legit. Plenty of players have got caught with banned subs before, even Gonzo. It's not like Gordon is racking up DUI's and gun charges.

He is one substance abuse away from a minimum mandatory suspension of one year.

He got caught twice with codeine in his system twice. I think that makes him a problem child, but maybe I am not being fair to him.

If I thought he would be a good asset to the team, I would be all for it. However, here are some links showing his past problems going back to three failed drug tests in college:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a86c21/article/josh-gordon-on-and-off-the-field-a-risky-project-for-browns

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/schefter_teams_aware_and_leery_of_josh_gordons_off_the_field_issues/14635181

Gordon has his own explanations for the failed tests but it is clear the NFL did not buy them. So the question is: Is he clean and is he worth a second round pick given the fact Manningham and Crabtree will both be on the field before the playoffs begin?

With Gordon you have to keep in mind you have him under contract with a cap friendly rookie deal until 2016. So you can't just focus on this season when it comes to trading for him especially when you consider Manningham and Boldin might be gone after this season which means our WR situation will be just going into next season as it is right now.

I would say the second rounder is worth the risk considering we already have one of the better rosters in the NFL and offhand I think we're looking at have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

So while trading away the second rounder and Gordon winds up being a bust would suck the loss of that 2nd rounder won't haunt us for years to come. We'd still be in great position to add depth and talent to the roster through the draft.

The upside is if Gordon keeps his nose clean and lives up to his talent the 2nd rounder would be a steal for him. We're likely never going to be in position to draft a WR of his talent so being able to land one would be huge especially since the position has been a real sore spot.

I just think at times you have to make some smart gambles on players if the potential payoff is worth it and Gordon would be a smart gamble on Baalke's part.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Crabtree will not be at full strength or to what he was last year until next year fellas... Complete tear of the AcL... Not a partial tear like suggs.. I think its completely insane to think he will come back and all we need to worry about is chemistry..
if the season ended today, we are a team built for a deep playoff run. crabs and mario at 75 per cent would only make us better. they are our people and they are who ck feels comfortable with. not sure what is so hard to see in that regard. we are not some desperate team in need to a quick fix nor do we need to hire a hired gun to get us over the hump.

I wouldnt say desperate but i dont think kyle is the answer, i dont think anybody does.. But can we take another nfc championship with 2 muffed punts? He looked like crap yesterday... Also he can help at the receiver position? Dont think 75 percent is good enough when you cant make any sharp cuts against good dbacks.. Specifically seachickens dbacks...
  • kem99
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 586
Originally posted by Jikkle49:

Which is why I think we should strongly go after Gordon unless Cleveland's asking price is ridiculous. We're likely never going to be in position to draft a WR with his talent and we could acquire him without it adversely effecting our draft. So the reward imo outweighs the risk in this case.

Lol...Exactly when did Josh Gordon become the next Jerry Rice/Calvin Johnson? I know the 49er WR2 has been terrible this year, but, Gordon is not the savior, once in a generation talent, he's being made out to be.

First, yes, the 49ers will have opportunities to draft a WR with his talent. Gordon, after all, was a 2nd round pick in the Supplemental Draft.

Second, yes, it would adversely affect the 49ers draft if it cost a 2nd round pick or a 2nd and something else since both 2nds are going to be in the lower half of the draft. Not affecting their draft would be a 6th or 7th round pick. And, it certainly would affect the draft if the 49ers gave up a 2nd round pick, Gordon failed to make a difference because he joined the team late and then ended up violating the league substance abuse policy again and is out for a year.

Third, when was the last time a WR was traded at or near the trade deadline that ended up having a significant impact for a playoff team? RB is considered an easier position to integrate into an offense and Trent Richardson is still struggling to get going with the Colts weeks after they acquired him and is sharing time with Donald Brown even after A. Bradshaw got hurt. What would make you think Gordon could just come in, pick up the system, develop a rapport with Kaep, etc. on the fly and be a true impact player for the balance of the season while the 49ers are also integrating Manningham and Crabtree as well? Granted, it wouldn't take much to be better that Williams/Baldwin/Moore but that doesn't mean Gordon would be a true difference maker.