LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

Joe Montana: City wasted opportunity

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Thank God they didn't go with hunters point! I spent a year there when the USS Enterprise was in dry dock and you could not safely walk out of the gate and have a few beers without taking half the ships crew with you. They are right, it is a f'n dump!

Did you meet Capt Picard?
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Santa Clara stadium sucks, that is all..

And the old dump we're currently playing in doesn't?

Sorry it's not pretty enough for you but the stadium in Santa Clara offers a great fan experience complete with upgraded technological advancements, not to mention it's in a much better neighborhood with nice entertainment venues nearby. Regardless, it's a huge upgrade from what we have now .

I like The Stick, a lot, I don't care if the toilet overflows because some pinhead threw a lot of paper into it, I like the fact there is a traffic jam to go home, see that's what happens when 65k+ people show up for an event, anywhere, I like all my friends there. Hey fantastic you can play with your ipad and not watch the game, that is IF you can afford to buy a ticket or worse a season ticket. New is not necessarily better in so many ways.How do you know the SC stadium will offer such a "great" fan experience, gone to a game there yet?

When the game is over I don't hang out in the neighborhood, I go home, I don[t care about the neighborhood. Right after spending about $200 for the day at the Stick, the last two years, $125 for years before, I want to go out to be entertained at some groovy venue. Not to mention at this stadium it will be a $200 to $425 day since everything will cost so much more including tix; my old seats on the 43yrd line 11 rows up were $180 the last 2 years, here Jed and his crew wanted $80k up front for a PSL per seat, and then $375-$400 per game. What a great deal for this new fan experience!!.

IMO it should have been at Hunters Point, the gov would finish cleaning it up, you get views to die for, tons of parking/tail gating area, on the bay, etc..
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Oct 27, 2013 at 1:46 AM ]
Originally posted by mod:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
You have to understand that while technically the city of San Francisco "offered" several locations that would allow for the construction of a stadium the city was being extremely difficult to work with. None of the sites made sense from a business standpoint and the city was refused to contribute any legitimate amount of public funds to the project.

this

This x2
I don't think SF's politicians are even sweating they lost the Niners anymore. For the most part they've likely moved onto the 2017 waterfront arena proposal which would be privately financed by the Warriors.

Besides isn't the majority of the Niners season ticket holders from the south bay anyway. So I don't really see the big deal.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HALCIONDAZE:
Those in power in SF are only concerned with getting their left wing liberal agenda through. Letting all the freaks run around naked and do whatever the hell they want.

Ignorant ppl are ignorant.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

And the old dump we're currently playing in doesn't?

Sorry it's not pretty enough for you but the stadium in Santa Clara offers a great fan experience complete with upgraded technological advancements, not to mention it's in a much better neighborhood with nice entertainment venues nearby. Regardless, it's a huge upgrade from what we have now .

I like The Stick, a lot, I don't care if the toilet overflows because some pinhead threw a lot of paper into it, I like the fact there is a traffic jam to go home, see that's what happens when 65k+ people show up for an event, anywhere, I like all my friends there. Hey fantastic you can play with your ipad and not watch the game, that is IF you can afford to buy a ticket or worse a season ticket. New is not necessarily better in so many ways.How do you know the SC stadium will offer such a "great" fan experience, gone to a game there yet?

When the game is over I don't hang out in the neighborhood, I go home, I don[t care about the neighborhood. Right after spending about $200 for the day at the Stick, the last two years, $125 for years before, I want to go out to be entertained at some groovy venue. Not to mention at this stadium it will be a $200 to $425 day since everything will cost so much more including tix; my old seats on the 43yrd line 11 rows up were $180 the last 2 years, here Jed and his crew wanted $80k up front for a PSL per seat, and then $375-$400 per game. What a great deal for this new fan experience!!.

IMO it should have been at Hunters Point, the gov would finish cleaning it up, you get views to die for, tons of parking/tail gating area, on the bay, etc..
Ball Niner you get how I feel the stick is special you feel a sense of history when passing it by or being in the stadium you feel the 30 years of proud history being near the stick. Ya it is a dump but it's our dump. The area around it ya it's ghetto but when i walk by it to get to the stick you get a feeling of community seeing the people outside BBQ drinking some beers having a good time before a game. Santa Clara i don't think will offer that it will feel corporate. I'm sure the Santa Clara stadium is beautiful and will offer people technology and all sorts of things Silicon Valley people will love. But for the average folks who can afford to go the game we shall see how they feel.

The Navy has said that Hunter's Point would be cleaned up by 2017 at the earliest, the team couldn't build until the area is clean, it would take a couple of years to build the stadium, so now we're looking at 2020 at the earliest (and that's if everything goes right, which never happens with anything federally funded) The 49ers want out of Candlestick ASAP, they're not willing to wait for Hunter's Point to get cleaned up, which is why they made the decision to build it down in Santa Clara in the first place.

On top of that, the site would need all new infrastructure (new roads, plumbing, electrical, etc) since there isn't anything there and the team isn't going to pay for it, and we all know that the city (or state) are going to put up the funds.

I would have loved to see a stadium at Hunter's Point, but the 49ers had to make a decision that was in the best interests of the 49ers, which they did.
[ Edited by linkboy on Oct 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM ]
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Thank God they didn't go with hunters point! I spent a year there when the USS Enterprise was in dry dock and you could not safely walk out of the gate and have a few beers without taking half the ships crew with you. They are right, it is a f'n dump!

Did you meet Capt Picard?

• dj43
In addition to big problems with access to Candlestick, the political environment in SF as typified by Gavin Newsome, has been anti-business/anti-sports for some time. The 49ers made the best decision by going to SC. Newsome and his ilk will only miss out on the tax revenue that will no longer come their way. He could care less about football.
Originally posted by dj43:
In addition to big problems with access to Candlestick, the political environment in SF as typified by Gavin Newsome, has been anti-business/anti-sports for some time. The 49ers made the best decision by going to SC. Newsome and his ilk will only miss out on the tax revenue that will no longer come their way. He could care less about football.

Newsome is Lt. Gov now...not the mayor of SF anymore

• Happs
  • Veteran
Hanging out at the "Luxury Club Level Bar" at the stick. That's not water dripping from the ceiling. LOL. And there's numerous stained circles on the ceiling that means this has happened often. Did hook up with some cougars though so not all bad ;-)

It's not really called Luxury Club, just one of two or three bars at the stick. No view of the field from in there.

Good riddance to this dump. Looking forward to the new place next year. Only 15 minutes from my house, four tix on the 35!

• dj43
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Newsome is Lt. Gov now...not the mayor of SF anymore
I know that. My point was about the anti-business environment in SF, and the state if you want to go that far. The 49ers leaving SF is just a small example of the many businesses that have left CA as a result of the anti-business environment.

If you want to carry that theme forward, I'll see you in the PL.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Better than sticking around in a dilapidated Candlestick Park waiting for the toilets to back up and raw sewage to come pouring out everywhere like at that s**tbox in Oakland. San Francisco had their chance, they made it clear that they weren't interested, too bad, so sad. Maybe the people of San Francisco should focus more on electing pragmatic politicians rather than self-serving ideologues. I'm sure for all the years they have been in SF, the 49ers have certainly been the cause of a tremendous amount of wealth winding up in the city's coffers, the city has nobody to point fingers at but itself.

candlestick may be old but its not nearly as bad as some of you guys make it out to be. i love candlestick park and ive never had an issue there

Could not disagree more...the place is a dilapidated pit. Just two examples of things that suck at the Stick that will be far superior at the new stadium: Concourse walkways and restrooms...at Levi's, walkways will be 3x wider and there will be 2x as many bathrooms. It's ridiculous that right outside my section in Upper Box at the Stick there are concessions, yet it's so congested that just getting into line is a chore, and even if I'm out there right as halftime starts, very rarely am I back in my seat by start of 3rd qtr. And then throw in a trip to the head or maybe go to the concessions down a few sections for some different offerings? Forget it unless you want to miss the first drive or two of the 2nd half.
I know that. My point was about the anti-business environment in SF, and the state if you want to go that far. The 49ers leaving SF is just a small example of the many businesses that have left CA as a result of the anti-business environment.

If you want to carry that theme forward, I'll see you in the PL.

Yeah, CA hasn't been ranked dead last in business climate by Chief Executive magazine 9 years in a row just by accident...and always at/near the bottom in rankings by other entities. We have seen first-hand where certain other states will work with a business to help it succeed and foster a mutually beneficial relationship, whereas CA takes an adversarial role more interested in punitive measures (fees, fines, taxes, etc.) than they are in the success of a business.
at people saying they love Candlestick.

Thanks for the memories, but I can't wait to not have to be at this dump on Sundays.
Share 49ersWebzone