LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Joe Montana: City wasted opportunity

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Let's change our name to the "Bay Area 49ers" then.

The Bay Area Funners.
Those in power in SF are only concerned with getting their left wing liberal agenda through. Letting all the freaks run around naked and do whatever the hell they want.
Originally posted by HALCIONDAZE:
Those in power in SF are only concerned with getting their left wing liberal agenda through. Letting all the freaks run around naked and do whatever the hell they want.

LOL!
Crazy Hippies
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Joe is right however. SF did very little to fight to keep their team. They are lucky they are keeping the San Fran in the name of the team.

I was done with SF when Gavin Newsome essentially blamed the 49ers for losing SF an Olympic bid. It takes nerve to be critical because a team won't build you a stadium for free. I really hate Gavin Newsome.

Yeah, he is a complete A$$!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Raul98:
Originally posted by English:
I think you have spun it round. I think the team tried hard but the city had no interest.

I don't recall them being offered anywhere except the polluted navy land which would apparently have cost a lot of money to clean up.

They offered to take down candlestick and re build a new stadium there. Like JTsBiggestFan said they could have played at Standford a few seasons while a new stadium was built where Candlestick is. I'm just really disappointed and mad my team is playing outside of the city. It just doesn't feel right I don't know exactly how well city officials worked with the 49ers only they know. I just wish the Yorks could have waited longer but maybe they were tired of waiting. I'm glad this site exists to let people voice there opinions and we can discuss these things so we get different peoples opinions.

Jeez...haven't we moved on from this?

1) The initial site would have required the construction of the worlds largest parking garage. Stanford? You are making a fairly large assumption that Stanford was even an option.

2) Even if Stanford were an option, the stadium is far more expensive to build in the current stadiums location. Not NEARLY the public/private partnership to get it done plus ALOT of infrastructure change that would have to be funded my the city.

3) The Naval Shipyard is a superfund site....IE, toxic waste dump. The federal government is paying to clean the site up...but even if its cleaned up, the site has ZERO freeway access and would require the building of a bridge. IE...more money from the city who is balking about paying for anything.

4) Downtown by the Giants? As far as I know most of that land is going to be is going to be used by USF, but even if that's not the case, where the hell does anyone park. That was never a serious possibility. Not nearly enough space. Had nothing to do with proximity to the Giants.

5) Santa Clara was willing to do public/private partnership. They already had infrastructure in place including rail access. The stadium in far, far better neighborhood next to convention center, Great America, and several hotels.

6) 49ers were only residents of SF 10 days a year to begin with. Their HQ has been in Santa Clara for over 20 years. Now the HQ and stadium are actually attached. Moreover...due to their size, most NFL stadiums aren't within city limits. The 49ers don't belong to SF alone...they belong to the entire Bay Area.

After getting more insight from you guys in the webzone i'm now starting to see that i was wrong and maybe SF didn't put as much of a fight as i thought they did. That depressed me even more. I live walking distance from Candlestick and it just hurts knowing the team i grew up loving since i was a teenager is no longer going to be here, It's true Santa Clara is not far still in the Bay but it just wont be the same.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9880625/joe-montana-says-san-francisco-kept-49ers

After reading what Joe Montana said it got me thinking again and I don't know all the facts so I'm looking for the webzone to help clarify things for me. Montana said in this article San Francisco did a terrible job keeping the team here but didn't the city offer the 49ers a few locations to build a stadium at? I remember re building Candlestick with a mall but the Niners didn't like the location at the stick and the Eddie D legal problems started. They offered the Hunters Point Shipyard Niners said it was a dump and unsafe. They offered them a downtown location near the Giants but they said no cause it's to close to where the Giants play. It seems to me SF offered them a few good spots i mean there's only so much empty land in the city of San Francisco for a stadium. And the Niners rejected them all. I truly believe 49er ownership just wanted the team in Santa Clara for there own personal reasons no SF location would have been good enough for them.

Wrong. It was the city leaders, Board of Idiots, and the legion of the intelligentsia who hate sports and especially football that fought and stonewalled the 49ers every step of the way. These are the same morons who repeatedly toyed with the Giants on a stadium, and if Magown & Co. hadn't stepped forward back in circa 92-93, the Giants were as good as gone to Tampa / St. Pete.

And then the Giants' stadium they fought for so many years, the one that they said would be the ruin of their beloved city, look what it did...it transformed that area of Embarcadero/3rd Street--which was a friggin' eyesore with abandoned cars, trailers, empty lots and bums--into a vibrant, rejuvenated hub with retail, pubs, restaurants, high-end residential, a sweet-a** ballpark, and oh yeah, all the jobs and tax revenue that go along with the aforementioned.

But even with that fresh experience as a backdrop, these dipsh**s STILL thought they could just keep jerking the Niners around, and I believe they never seriously thought the 49ers and little Jed York would ever call their bluff and actally dare leave their self-proclaimed Utopia By The Bay. But to his everlasting credit, he did and gave them a big middle finger in the process, Joe Montana is 100% spot-on, welcome to Santa Clara, hallelujah.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Wrong. It was the city leaders, Board of Idiots, and the legion of the intelligentsia who hate sports and especially football that fought and stonewalled the 49ers every step of the way. These are the same morons who repeatedly toyed with the Giants on a stadium, and if Magown & Co. hadn't stepped forward back in circa 92-93, the Giants were as good as gone to Tampa / St. Pete.

And then the Giants' stadium they fought for so many years, the one that they said would be the ruin of their beloved city, look what it did...it transformed that area of Embarcadero/3rd Street--which was a friggin' eyesore with abandoned cars, trailers, empty lots and bums--into a vibrant, rejuvenated hub with retail, pubs, restaurants, high-end residential, a sweet-a** ballpark, and oh yeah, all the jobs and tax revenue that go along with the aforementioned.

But even with that fresh experience as a backdrop, these dipsh**s STILL thought they could just keep jerking the Niners around, and I believe they never seriously thought the 49ers and little Jed York would ever call their bluff and actally dare leave their self-proclaimed Utopia By The Bay. But to his everlasting credit, he did and gave them a big middle finger in the process, Joe Montana is 100% spot-on, welcome to Santa Clara, hallelujah.
Your right the webzone members have proved me wrong i was taking my anger out on the Niners front office but i was misinformed knowing the city didn't put in 100% effort to keep them here hurts even more. I will never be able to accept my team playing in Santa Clara but i'll still support them 100% unlike the city of SF
Santa Clara stadium sucks, that is all..
It's true
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

Better than sticking around in a dilapidated Candlestick Park waiting for the toilets to back up and raw sewage to come pouring out everywhere like at that s**tbox in Oakland. San Francisco had their chance, they made it clear that they weren't interested, too bad, so sad. Maybe the people of San Francisco should focus more on electing pragmatic politicians rather than self-serving ideologues. I'm sure for all the years they have been in SF, the 49ers have certainly been the cause of a tremendous amount of wealth winding up in the city's coffers, the city has nobody to point fingers at but itself.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM ]

Originally posted by DelCed2486:

Your right the webzone members have proved me wrong i was taking my anger out on the Niners front office but i was misinformed knowing the city didn't put in 100% effort to keep them here hurts even more. I will never be able to accept my team playing in Santa Clara but i'll still support them 100% unlike the city of SF

Raul.. You live in the city and you don't know the situation ?

The 49ers tried to do something
The politicians of SF tried something (the city)
It's the voters that fkd this up (residents)

And the old dump we're currently playing in doesn't?

Sorry it's not pretty enough for you but the stadium in Santa Clara offers a great fan experience complete with upgraded technological advancements, not to mention it's in a much better neighborhood with nice entertainment venues nearby. Regardless, it's a huge upgrade from what we have now .
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Oct 27, 2013 at 12:02 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Better than sticking around in a dilapidated Candlestick Park waiting for the toilets to back up and raw sewage to come pouring out everywhere like at that s**tbox in Oakland. San Francisco had their chance, they made it clear that they weren't interested, too bad, so sad. Maybe the people of San Francisco should focus more on electing pragmatic politicians rather than self-serving ideologues. I'm sure for all the years they have been in SF, the 49ers have certainly been the cause of a tremendous amount of wealth winding up in the city's coffers, the city has nobody to point fingers at but itself.

candlestick may be old but its not nearly as bad as some of you guys make it out to be. i love candlestick park and ive never had an issue there

In what kind of a contorted reality of dream-like hypnotic state does that make any sense?
Please give ONE reason that could possibly, in an infinity of reasons, support that claim.

The Santa Clara stadium is superior in every possible conceivable way.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Raul.. You live in the city and you don't know the situation ?

The 49ers tried to do something
The politicians of SF tried something (the city)
It's the voters that fkd this up (residents)

I live in the city but i don't follow politics all i knew was the city presented a few locations and the 49ers rejected there locations.
Share 49ersWebzone