There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Joe Montana: City wasted opportunity

Like NeonNiner said, they're still te
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by mod:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
You have to understand that while technically the city of San Francisco "offered" several locations that would allow for the construction of a stadium the city was being extremely difficult to work with. None of the sites made sense from a business standpoint and the city was refused to contribute any legitimate amount of public funds to the project.

this

RIGHT ON THE MONEY! Former Mayor and current Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom was a giant bag of douche during the entire process.

Remember that when the giant bag of douche runs for Governor kids, and then vote Republican!

Gavin Gruesome with his dirty little assistant wielding the mysterious purple gloves. -It's the f**king truth, but to be honest I got to scout out the stadium's vicinity, it's barely a block away from greyhound/amtrak stations, across the street from our training facility (which makes home-field advantage favorable), and right next door to an amusement park.

Still in the 'bay', so it's all good. -Yorks knew if they moved the team further out their fan base would suffer miserably from the commute.
Larry Baer said he would be happy to share AT&T Park with the Niners
Originally posted by Raul98:
Originally posted by English:
I think you have spun it round. I think the team tried hard but the city had no interest.

I don't recall them being offered anywhere except the polluted navy land which would apparently have cost a lot of money to clean up.

They offered to take down candlestick and re build a new stadium there. Like JTsBiggestFan said they could have played at Standford a few seasons while a new stadium was built where Candlestick is. I'm just really disappointed and mad my team is playing outside of the city. It just doesn't feel right I don't know exactly how well city officials worked with the 49ers only they know. I just wish the Yorks could have waited longer but maybe they were tired of waiting. I'm glad this site exists to let people voice there opinions and we can discuss these things so we get different peoples opinions.

Jeez...haven't we moved on from this?

1) The initial site would have required the construction of the worlds largest parking garage. Stanford? You are making a fairly large assumption that Stanford was even an option.

2) Even if Stanford were an option, the stadium is far more expensive to build in the current stadiums location. Not NEARLY the public/private partnership to get it done plus ALOT of infrastructure change that would have to be funded my the city.

3) The Naval Shipyard is a superfund site....IE, toxic waste dump. The federal government is paying to clean the site up...but even if its cleaned up, the site has ZERO freeway access and would require the building of a bridge. IE...more money from the city who is balking about paying for anything.

4) Downtown by the Giants? As far as I know most of that land is going to be is going to be used by USF, but even if that's not the case, where the hell does anyone park. That was never a serious possibility. Not nearly enough space. Had nothing to do with proximity to the Giants.

5) Santa Clara was willing to do public/private partnership. They already had infrastructure in place including rail access. The stadium in far, far better neighborhood next to convention center, Great America, and several hotels.

6) 49ers were only residents of SF 10 days a year to begin with. Their HQ has been in Santa Clara for over 20 years. Now the HQ and stadium are actually attached. Moreover...due to their size, most NFL stadiums aren't within city limits. The 49ers don't belong to SF alone...they belong to the entire Bay Area.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

We'd never have to worry about blackouts with only 40k seats. :)
Joe is right however. SF did very little to fight to keep their team. They are lucky they are keeping the San Fran in the name of the team.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Joe is right however. SF did very little to fight to keep their team. They are lucky they are keeping the San Fran in the name of the team.

I was done with SF when Gavin Newsome essentially blamed the 49ers for losing SF an Olympic bid. It takes nerve to be critical because a team won't build you a stadium for free. I really hate Gavin Newsome.
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Originally posted by susweel:
can't wait to see what the new Santa Clara 49ers helmet looks like.

Jed York has clearly said that the team will always be the San Francisco 49ers. Yes they are in Santa Clara, but they're still in the San Francisco Bay Area. At least they don't play in a different state, like the Giants.

They could put up a massive screen in the parking lot and set up bleachers for the additional 20,000 that couldn't fit inside the stadium then.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Jed York has clearly said that the team will always be the San Francisco 49ers. Yes they are in Santa Clara, but they're still in the San Francisco Bay Area. At least they don't play in a different state, like the Giants.

Yes, at least they are still in the same state. Which brings us to the age old question, why are the New York Giants not named the New Jersey Giants? If you look on the map New Jersey is a different State. When the NY Giants first moved to NJ their helmets read "Giants", but a year or so later changed the logo back to NY. Can't the legislators in NJ do anything? Was Tony Soprano the only muscle in the State? NJ has no self respect.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Yes, at least they are still in the same state. Which brings us to the age old question, why are the New York Giants not named the New Jersey Giants? If you look on the map New Jersey is a different State. When the NY Giants first moved to NJ their helmets read "Giants", but a year or so later changed the logo back to NY. Can't the legislators in NJ do anything? Was Tony Soprano the only muscle in the State? NJ has no self respect.

Don't think you are correct there. Giants stadium opened in '76....Giants still were "NY" back then. It wasn't until early '80s that they became "GIANTS", and the subsequent return to "NY" didn't happen to late, late '90s.

It's funny that the Super Bowl logo in Times Square has NY and NJ on it, but the NY far more emphasized.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
One year to build a stadium? Hahaha

Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
You raise a reasonable point.

The 49ers could have played an entire season at Stanford, demo'd the stick and built a new stadium on site.

Vikings are doing something similar with new stadium.

However the counterpoint in all this is that if building a fancy stadium was the bigger priority , it might not have been feasible in the SF city limits. Especially when you consider super bowl hosting and other marquee events, it becomes trickier.

One year to build a stadium? Hahaha

I figured 18-19 months between the time the regular season ends and the start of two regular seasons down (January to the NEXT September). Looking at the construction schedule for Levi's it seems about 27 months.

So that would take down two regular seasons then. Didn't realize most other stadiums take longer....Levi's was quicker than expected.
Yup, KC wasted an opportunity to beat Dallas in '93

Dumbasses...
Originally posted by Marvin49:

We'd never have to worry about blackouts with only 40k seats. :)
didn't stop the blackout on MNF
Let's change our name to the "Bay Area 49ers" then.
Sorry Joe, but he mayor and the fine residents of SF voted with their pocketbooks when push came to shove. They didn't come up with the money, only half baked ideas. Marvin summed it up perfectly. Where the hell were they going to build a stadium? But overarching point was the citizenry didn't offer to come up with the bucks Santa Clara did, and end of story. Hey, it's still Bay area, commute for SF fans will be no more than getting out of that crappy Candlestick traffic jam, and there are a lot of fans further south too. No problem with SF 49ers. Nobody was ever asking for a name change. This was money, SF mayor and citizen's pocketbooks....pure and simple. THEY didn't want it. SC did.