LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 355 users in the forums

Do the 49ers have to run the table to get homefield advantage and win the NFC West?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do the 49ers have to run the table to get homefield advantage and win the NFC West?

• Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
A lot of defeatist talk surrounding Seattle at Centurylink.

Look at what the Patriots, Packers, and Saints have done there. Just need to have a more in sync short passing game and involvement with tight ends.

To continue allowing teams to man up and allow that to be a problem is a recipe for another disaster in the post season. I'm confident we will get it sorted out.

In fact, I think it's more important that the 49ers be the best they can be than necessarily have home field advantage. The best 49ers team I've seen (last year, NE, GB on the road come to mind) can beat anybody.

Having home field advantage without that certainty won't be a guarantee of victory against Seattle.

Let's see what Manningham and Crabtree bring back to this O.

I agree, with your whole post but specifically the bolded.

Seattle can be beat at home. We had a chance on SNF, but our offense was playing schizo at the time. with our return to our roots, and with a healthy team we can beat them there. They had 5 giveaways against the Titans and won. Imagine what we'd do to them if we had 5 takeaways in the game.

Seattle does not scare me and never will. They've won two straight home games against us and now everybody thinks they're invincible. We were winning in Seattle with Smith as our QB, I'm 100% certain we can do it with Kap if we have the right game plan.

Also, I think NO can win there AND I think GB could too. Seattle is a great team no doubt, but they are not invincible.
If I were HC...and I certainly am not...I would use London and every remaining game to be played with hand signals by Kap. Really, what the noise takes out of the equation is the ability to check out of plays...or SETS....and then call signals. We have to do one of two things to win in N.O. and if it goes to SEA, there too. Specifically:
1) Use hand signals in games like jags to mimic set changes and play changes. IF kap can be heard in the huddle in N.O . and perhaps much later in SEA, it should be pretty simple. He has two plays, he tells the other 10 guys in the huddle 1 finger means play 1. 2 fingers means play 2. How difficult is that. As for set changes during the game, I think that is a bad idea in N.O. and SEA. Get one set and play out of it. Only thing that can change is play 1 or 2,and that is easy to understand.
Call it go Blue or go Red, or whatever, doesn't matter. Or just signal 2 or 1 to rest of team at the LOS. Changing sets, or anything else other than the original play is pretty much a no go in way too loud stadiums. Simple. SIMPLE. SIMPLE.

And for starters, I would try to practice that in London, and then go from there, using more and more silent signals. Maybe then N.O. and SEA wouldn't be so daunting for our guys.

And as for beating N.O. last yr without payton....it counts, but isn't going to resemble this game in the slightest. Payton is the best signal caller and game manager of anyone by far. Beating N.O. without him there last yr, really is just half a win to me. It doesn't say squat about this yr.

Getting creamed in SEA two yrs in a row....that SAYS something. We can't play a great team in a lot of noise, and legitimately expect to win.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by westcoastchamp:
So if we both lost to colts and to each other who wins the tie breaker?

I don't know? That's a good question? Suppose we beat Seattle at home and each win out for 14 - 2. What then?

I am guessing if it is a complete tie in the schedule. The NFL would select a winner based off of points for and points against.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hbomber040:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by westcoastchamp:
So if we both lost to colts and to each other who wins the tie breaker?

I don't know? That's a good question? Suppose we beat Seattle at home and each win out for 14 - 2. What then?

I am guessing if it is a complete tie in the schedule. The NFL would select a winner based off of points for and points against.

you then pit JH and PC against each other in a indian strap match.i would say steel cage match but i thought i would go old school all star wrestling 1973 with danny littlebear
The Seattle game at home isn't a lock like many of you think.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

It's going to be one helluva game! The "red menace" atmosphere at the stick is going to be like no other!

Dick Sherman better wear a rain coat on his way on and off the field!

yeah no s**t
The only advantage in playing in San Francisco is that they wouldn't be playing in Seattle. There is no home field advantage playing at the stick. I mean, the fans cheer, but it's nothing like any other stadium. Last year we were able to finish the Falcons in their house, which at that time was among the more difficult places to win. So, yes, if their game is peaking, they can win on the road. Seattle would be tough though. Think its in Kaep's head after his last two games there. Get off to a fast start and take the crowd out of it, there's a chance.
Originally posted by gunslinger8:
The only advantage in playing in San Francisco is that they wouldn't be playing in Seattle. There is no home field advantage playing at the stick. I mean, the fans cheer, but it's nothing like any other stadium. Last year we were able to finish the Falcons in their house, which at that time was among the more difficult places to win. So, yes, if their game is peaking, they can win on the road. Seattle would be tough though. Think its in Kaep's head after his last two games there. Get off to a fast start and take the crowd out of it, there's a chance.

Are you crazy? The atmosphere at the Stick can be a HUGE advantage. Players and coaches always marvel at the atmosphere the fans create. It's going to be CrAzY on 12/8/13.
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Oct 24, 2013 at 5:38 PM ]
Yeah. Candlestick Park is a place every team knows its a cakewalk.

Something tells me Patrick Willis might have something to say about that.

Seahawks have to run the table to keep us from taking the division.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

It's going to be one helluva game! The "red menace" atmosphere at the stick is going to be like no other!

Dick Sherman better wear a rain coat on his way on and off the field!

It'll serve as a playoff preview, cause I'm more than convinced now we're destined to meet in Jan. Think of the 07' Giants, they were blown-out twice to the Division-winning Cowboys in the season, and the Giants ended up beating them in their own house in the Div. round.

I have respect for the talent of the Hawks, but their afterburners could be wearing out the moment ours kick in, I think we peak in the final 4 weeks, and just destroy it in the playoffs. -Not saying we go back to the Superbowl, but I think Harbaugh becomes the first 49er coach since Seifert to attend the Championship three years straight.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 24, 2013 at 6:18 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

they will have to pry the divisional title out of our dead cold hands
Originally posted by cciowa:

they will have to pry the divisional title out of our dead kung fu grip

fixed
Originally posted by cciowa:

they will have to pry the divisional title out of our dead cold hands

Share 49ersWebzone