LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 161 users in the forums

Biggest Niner Story for Me -- Where Did the Secondary Come From?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Our secondary is going to be scary next season...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
No need to apologize, bro, I'm not the type to be electronically offended . I do agree with you, regarding that Nmandi should be kept. Always nice to have a veteran cornerback just in case!

So who gets cut then? Morris? Cox? The way I see it, Asomugha is the odd man out, Eric Wright is a veteran CB too.

Under that context, Nmandi would definitely be the odd man out since he has no special teams value; my original response (in regards to keeping Nmandi) was in response to cutting Him on the simple criteria that Brock took his nickel-position.
This secondary really is playing at a high level.

Great fun to watch. It took them a few games to get a stride but they are indeed catching it. Good thing too because I think we are going to meet GB in the playoffs.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Simple. Eric Reid. Okay, maybe not that simple but Reid has done a phenomenal job at safety, I mean he has been nothing short of outstanding and if you watch him out on the field, a lot of the time he's orchestrating the defense, pointing stuff out to guys, getting them in position, etc. He's also been terrific in coverage so it has to be a confidence boost knowing he's back there and is seldom out of position. He's far more intelligent, seems to have far more awareness than Goldson did. Reid has taken a huge amount of responsibility and has run with it, its no accident that all of a sudden Whitner is playing well, that Brock looks good...etc. I think the corners individually have played well but Reid is the glue helping to put it all together.

Secondaries tend to flow together, when the safeties are doing their job, the corners tend to look better...etc. I've always thought that Earl Thomas is a huge reason why Seattle has been successful and he allows their guys to be more aggressive and makes players like Browner look better than they really are.

I was soooo wrong about this kid its not even funny. Hes a stud.

Makes all the hand wringing and whining about trading up for this kid seem ridiculous now, doesn't it? As bad as the 2012 draft was for the Niners, they sure have hit another home run this year starting with Reid.

Like i have mentioned before, the trade up never upset me. I like when we are aggressive and go and get the guy we want. I just wasnt sold on the player.
Reid is elevating everyone's game. Including Brock, who is also the second reason why we are playing good in the back end,
Originally posted by 49erWay:
This secondary really is playing at a high level.

Great fun to watch. It took them a few games to get a stride but they are indeed catching it. Good thing too because I think we are going to meet GB in the playoffs.

Packers gonna get raped yet again, it's like the reverse of the mid 90s, great QB, good wide receivers, piss poor running game against an aggressive defense and a QB with a rocket arm. They don't matchup very well with the 49ers.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM ]
If I happened to be a stock analyst for my own family.

I would recommend buying the 49ers secondary.

Hitner included, big time.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Reid is elevating everyone's game. Including Brock, who is also the second reason why we are playing good in the back end,

Eric Reid is looking like a young Ed Reed that can hit.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by boast:
do people even watch the games? Nnamdi has been thrown at 11 times for six completions. four of those happened in the Green Bay game. so yeah, Wilson and Luck didn't pick him apart.

having a vet like Nnamdi is great for our depth.

I agree I dont think he has played as bad as many have said. Problem is though they seem to like Wright who I'm not sure is better than Nnamdi and also do you risk cutting Morris who has played well on ST? Doubt we keep 7 CB's... seems like he is the odd man out even if he doesn't deserve it. We are just really deep at the position. And that's with cutting Cooper and Culliver being out. That being said with Brown, Brock, Cox, Wright, Nnamdi all being free agents after this year and Rogers possibly being cut if he doesn't restructure it might not last long.

I think Brock will get a new deal. Rogers will restructure his contract to stay. If he's cut then bring back Brown. Wright might be next years Nnamdi.

Rogers/Brown
Brock
*Rookie*
Culliver
Wright
Morris
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Reid + Brock.

Makes up for a lot of stuff.

Trerick Breid