There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Biggest Niner Story for Me -- Where Did the Secondary Come From?

Eric Wright to join the Secondary soon. I suspect Rogers place may be under threat .....Carlos Rogers and Nmandi on the bench for depth within a month I suspect.
Originally posted by British9er:
Eric Wright to join the Secondary soon. I suspect Rogers place may be under threat .....Carlos Rogers and Nmandi on the bench for depth within a month I suspect.

LOL, why does everyone keep slamming on Rogers? He's actually played pretty well for the most part this season.

Nnamdi is already on the bench and Wright is not taking Rogers spot unless he just starts blowing mad coverages for TDs.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

LOL, why does everyone keep slamming on Rogers? He's actually played pretty well for the most part this season.

I wasnt necessarily bashing him. I just think cully would have been an upgrade by now had he not gotten hurt.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Imagine if Cully were healthy. Cully would have put Rogers on the bench by now.

Actually if Cully was healthy, Brock wouldn't see much playing time on the field and we would've never known how good he is, because Cully would've been the #3 CB. Cully and Nhamdi's injuries is a blessing in disguised, not saying that Im glad they're hurt but some things happens for a reason.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Simple. Eric Reid. Okay, maybe not that simple but Reid has done a phenomenal job at safety, I mean he has been nothing short of outstanding and if you watch him out on the field, a lot of the time he's orchestrating the defense, pointing stuff out to guys, getting them in position, etc. He's also been terrific in coverage so it has to be a confidence boost knowing he's back there and is seldom out of position. He's far more intelligent, seems to have far more awareness than Goldson did. Reid has taken a huge amount of responsibility and has run with it, its no accident that all of a sudden Whitner is playing well, that Brock looks good...etc. I think the corners individually have played well but Reid is the glue helping to put it all together.

Secondaries tend to flow together, when the safeties are doing their job, the corners tend to look better...etc. I've always thought that Earl Thomas is a huge reason why Seattle has been successful and he allows their guys to be more aggressive and makes players like Browner look better than they really are.

I was soooo wrong about this kid its not even funny. Hes a stud.

I don't think there were many on the Reid bandwagon. Was a lot of Cyprien... some Thomas, Rambo, Elam, Swearinger. Not a lot of Vaccaro either.

I think a lot were scared off by his senior season tape. His junior season was outstanding and he's been playing like he was then but only better. I thought he was solid and might have peaked. Could come in and be solid but nothing spectacular. I don't even think the few who wanted Reid thought he would be this good. Like Phoenix said you can see the entire secondary get worse as soon as he goes out. He has made Whitner better; obvious now that Goldson and him didn't click and Goldson did his own thing at times. The CB's were good last year; we had the #2 pass defense (or was it 4) until we went to the playoffs. I think that was a lot of Aldon and Justin being hurt some of those big td's were on Goldson. Whitner played horrible as well. With Brock I was one of the few in his corner because like I said breaking down his 2010 and 11 pre season I could see the potential. Same with Phillip Adams. With a CB one of the main things to look for is his there hip action. Can this guy turn and go with the ball downfield? Can he quickly stop from his back pedal and break on a ball? Is he stiff or fluid, smooth? He's also physical for his size. His main thing is can he be consistent? He gives up some bigger plays and makes mistakes after an awesome play a few plays ago. Rogers played solid last year minus a few games against guys he shouldn't have been on. He's solid to me but just not worth what we paid him. Brown is just a good solid CB. The CB group really stepped up this year unlike the WR's. Just too bad Cox, Brock and Brown are FA's and Rogers is due like 8 million. Could be a whole different group next year.
Fangio, former defensive backs coach runs the defense, the team hires Ed Donatello a famous defensive backs coach....umm I dunno lucky I guess...
Rogers has played very well this year. People should stop looking at his cap number, it's not as if we've all pitched in to pay him. The offseason is another matter, if he doesn't restructure he's a goner. But so far he's been super solid.

The one secondary starter who still annoys me is Whitner, and that because he believes his own hype and goes for the big hit rather than the tackle. The Fitzgerald TD was totally his fault because of this reason alone. You would expect a veteran to have learned to wrap up by now.

Brock has been a revelation, not just because of the picks. He's been solid all round. And Reid of course is one of the best rookies in all of the NFL this year.
Originally posted by eonblue:

Nnamdi is already on the bench and Wright is not taking Rogers spot unless he just starts blowing mad coverages for TDs.

Agreed Rogers has been doing an admirable job as slot corner. It is the toughest position in the secondary and he is holding up really well, but beyond that the guys who would replace him dont really have that skill set. Its more about twitch reflexes and acceleration rather than top end speed. A lot of our other corners are a little bigger, a little longer and more about top end speed than getting to their top speed quickly. It's the diffrence between quick and fast.

Not saying any of our corners are elite speed guys, but dudes like Wright, Brock, Aso and Cully if he was healthy are outside guys traditionally. After the season maybe you could do something there...but I think Rogers stays this year.
Still pisses me off that we lost Marcus Cooper to the chiefs! He has a bright future in the NFL
Reid is a major part of it, especially in regards to Whitner.

I still think that Whitner was having to do to much because of Goldson's stupid play (looking for the big hit and being out of position more often than not).
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Reid is a big reason because he does his job and doesn't freelance like Dashon did. Brock is a hell of a good corner as long as he keeps his confidence up
Great players elevate the play of those around them. I think Baalke nailed it when he picked Reid. Just months ago we were talking about how Whitner was the weak link and how he must be replaced. Now i don't think thats the case. Reid is the difference in the defense this season. We have arguably the best safety combination in the entire NFL. Things are only going to get better from here on out boys.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Sam Bradford, Matt Schaub, Carson Palmer, and an injured Jake Locker.

Wilson didn't do much at home against this defense for much of the game. Luck , same story.

If the offense scored some points, they would have shut down those guys too.

Only Rodgers had a big game against us.

They're definitely better in a sense that they don't make Bradford look like Rodgers!

Luck however Alex Smith'd us to death!
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Sam Bradford, Matt Schaub, Carson Palmer, and an injured Jake Locker.

This is exactly what I said last year. We ended the season playing a lot of top quarterbacks. That makes a huge difference.

However, I will say that I think Reid and Brock have improved our secondary significantly.

I'm only worried about Brown and Rogers on deep passes.

We got Brees, Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, and Matt Ryan coming up, these guys make it a point to test the corners by going deep!