There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Initial Reaction vs. Titans

  • Karma
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 753
Marvin will be along later to give his thoughts, as he does so well, but I wanted to get a few of my reactions and observations on the table.

1. I, for one, am glad Kaepernick was running again. I certainly don't want to see him carrying the ball 11 times a game, but his legs are too dangerous NOT to use them. The good news is that Kaepernick's accuracy continues to improve. He was on the money all day. He even had some very nice touch passes over defenders. He did have Vernon open in the corner for an easy touchdown, but over threw him. Kaep still needs work when he puts air under the ball. The bad news is that Kaep continues to key in on guys. Vernon and Boldin seemed to be his only reads and the myth about the other guys not getting open can be put to rest. Williams, Baldwin, and McDonald are getting space from defenses and Kaep is still throwing to Davis and Boldin. Kaepernick must learn to distribute the ball to become an elite QB. Right now it doesn't seem like he is going through more than two reads. Still, as long as his accuracy is there, Boldin and Davis are catching everything.

2. I love the commitment to the running game. I was definitely of the opinion that Gore was washed up. Yesterday was a very Gore-like day. He got the yards they needed, read his blocks well, and was spectacular in the pass game. The pass he caught and took up the sidelines had me checking my calendar! I thought it was 2009 all over again! I'm not sure why it took us three games to remember, but we are bullies. That is our offensive identity with or without all of our weapons.

3. Tramaine Brock! He is playing with so much confidence right now! Every play he makes adds another $100,000 to his contract for next year, whether it is with us or elsewhere. What if our CB group for next year looked like this: Culliver, Brock, Morris, and a few rookies? I'm less scared by that propsition...

4. Dorsey is hurting. He was getting pushed backward and sideways all day. Credit him for gutting it out, but he needs to heal. I hope they rest him for most of the Jags game and then he will have the bye week to get better. Dial looked good, but he is not ready to hold the fort against a real team.

5. Speaking of Dial, I was happy with what I saw. His size and strength stand out immediately. The one complaint I had was that he was VERY slow off the line. Given that problem, it is amazing how much space he was able to eat up once he got going. I say we give the kid as much time as he can handle against the Jags. We can see how he does against a very good running back in MJD and we don't risk much.

6. Kendall Wright ate Carlos Rogers' lunch. In fact, Carlos might want to make sure his kids still have their lunch money. Wright was the bright spot of the Titan offense, not counting Johnson's TD against our 2nd string defense. It was another example of the secondary's biggest weakness over the last few years. Small, shifty slot receivers with good hands give this defense fits. Rogers was a step behind all day and wasn't getting much of a jam on him either.

7. Once again, Joe Staley stands up for Kaepernick after a hit. I love the attitude. They stand up for each other.

8. How many of you have complained about the roster spots used for Special Teamers? I admit, I have often wondered why we were letting guys with potential go to keep vets like Kasim Osgood. Question answered. In 2011 we had a weak offense but made it to the NFC Championship with a dominant defense and a lights-out special teams. Our defense this year is good, but with Aldon out, McDonald ailing, and a lack of depth at NT, dominance probably won't be there. Our offense has sputtered, but it is stronger than our 2011 version. This ST unit can help fill in the gaps.
  • Karma
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 753
SO, yeah, Marvin's post already has three pages. Apparently it took me longer to write this than I intended.
One thing ill say about dial in his very limited snaps he had good eyes, and noticed locker running out of the pocket and switched his attention from going through the line to an empty pocket to going around the line to an unprotected jake locker. Good vision for a small sample size.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Oct 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM ]
The Titans were so bad against the 49ers that it literally killed Bud Adams?
Originally posted by Karma:
SO, yeah, Marvin's post already has three pages. Apparently it took me longer to write this than I intended.

That's okay, I'm reading yours, too.

Yeah, I'm a little worried about Dorsey, but will be patient with Dial, glad he got a little PT. McDonald stated he's felt stronger yesterday than last week. As for Rogers, he needs to be cut after this season, no way we're keeping him and his overpriced salary.
I had the same thoughts about Kaep as well. But at least he was looking for McDonald and actually spread the ball around a bit. So some improvement and still needs work on timing and touch with some of his Receivers. Williams has such unproductive hands.

I thought Morris would be interesting in the backfield and he might get his chance next season depending upon what happens with Rogers.

Overall good game by the niners.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I had the same thoughts about Kaep as well. But at least he was looking for McDonald and actually spread the ball around a bit. So some improvement and still needs work on timing and touch with some of his Receivers. Williams has such unproductive hands.

I thought Morris would be interesting in the backfield and he might get his chance next season depending upon what happens with Rogers.

Overall good game by the niners.

Morris is really fast something we need for a slot corner cuz carlos in the slot gets burnt all the time.
Good post.

Then I hope we can get run up scores fast against the Jags.

Then, replace Willis w/Wilhoite, who has played very well, so Pat can get 2 weeks real recoup time. Same w/Dial resting Dorsey for most of the game and others who need it.

The 2nd half of the season will be long and we'll need all hands on deck to win #6.
stop trying to be like Marvin.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
The Titans were so bad against the 49ers that it literally killed Bud Adams?

Sad.
Originally posted by Karma:
Marvin will be along later to give his thoughts, as he does so well, but I wanted to get a few of my reactions and observations on the table.

1. I, for one, am glad Kaepernick was running again. I certainly don't want to see him carrying the ball 11 times a game, but his legs are too dangerous NOT to use them. The good news is that Kaepernick's accuracy continues to improve. He was on the money all day. He even had some very nice touch passes over defenders. He did have Vernon open in the corner for an easy touchdown, but over threw him. Kaep still needs work when he puts air under the ball. The bad news is that Kaep continues to key in on guys. Vernon and Boldin seemed to be his only reads and the myth about the other guys not getting open can be put to rest. Williams, Baldwin, and McDonald are getting space from defenses and Kaep is still throwing to Davis and Boldin. Kaepernick must learn to distribute the ball to become an elite QB. Right now it doesn't seem like he is going through more than two reads. Still, as long as his accuracy is there, Boldin and Davis are catching everything.

2. I love the commitment to the running game. I was definitely of the opinion that Gore was washed up. Yesterday was a very Gore-like day. He got the yards they needed, read his blocks well, and was spectacular in the pass game. The pass he caught and took up the sidelines had me checking my calendar! I thought it was 2009 all over again! I'm not sure why it took us three games to remember, but we are bullies. That is our offensive identity with or without all of our weapons.

3. Tramaine Brock! He is playing with so much confidence right now! Every play he makes adds another $100,000 to his contract for next year, whether it is with us or elsewhere. What if our CB group for next year looked like this: Culliver, Brock, Morris, and a few rookies? I'm less scared by that propsition...

4. Dorsey is hurting. He was getting pushed backward and sideways all day. Credit him for gutting it out, but he needs to heal. I hope they rest him for most of the Jags game and then he will have the bye week to get better. Dial looked good, but he is not ready to hold the fort against a real team.

5. Speaking of Dial, I was happy with what I saw. His size and strength stand out immediately. The one complaint I had was that he was VERY slow off the line. Given that problem, it is amazing how much space he was able to eat up once he got going. I say we give the kid as much time as he can handle against the Jags. We can see how he does against a very good running back in MJD and we don't risk much.

6. Kendall Wright ate Carlos Rogers' lunch. In fact, Carlos might want to make sure his kids still have their lunch money. Wright was the bright spot of the Titan offense, not counting Johnson's TD against our 2nd string defense. It was another example of the secondary's biggest weakness over the last few years. Small, shifty slot receivers with good hands give this defense fits. Rogers was a step behind all day and wasn't getting much of a jam on him either.

7. Once again, Joe Staley stands up for Kaepernick after a hit. I love the attitude. They stand up for each other.

8. How many of you have complained about the roster spots used for Special Teamers? I admit, I have often wondered why we were letting guys with potential go to keep vets like Kasim Osgood. Question answered. In 2011 we had a weak offense but made it to the NFC Championship with a dominant defense and a lights-out special teams. Our defense this year is good, but with Aldon out, McDonald ailing, and a lack of depth at NT, dominance probably won't be there. Our offense has sputtered, but it is stronger than our 2011 version. This ST unit can help fill in the gaps.

No worries, this is a very good post! On point #1, you saw CK make two reads? I mean, progression reads, not broken plays when the target WR is covered (or doesn't get separaton) or CK doesn't pull the trigger. You're right that he locks on but after watching the game tapes, it appears he locks on b/c THAT is his read (no built in outlets or progression reads). Then if covered he's off to the races keeping his eye down field (ad lib). This is why you see him pass even when triple covered. Good move by Roman to run him in read-option a bit more as that played into the Titans weakness AND helped soften them up a bit inside. I didn't notice many snaps under center this game (still need to rewatch). Good point about his accuracy and confidence to throw...that pass he fit into VD was like threading a needle and he did it first try. It was risky but he was on. I think the same thing you do that he needs to work on that rainbow throw a bit more. I about fell out of my chair on that swing pass to Gore (was it Miller blocking for him). The commentators made a great observation that if you follow Miller just about every time, THAT is where the ball goes.

Love the rest of your comments. Brock...he can blow a coverage (not sure if 100% his fault or Reid's or a combination). I was VERY surprised Dorsey played. I would not have even risked it and once I saw we were controlling the game, Dial would have been my man the rest of the game. Thank God it wasn't TJE. McDonald and Justin played better/stronger this game.

Yeah, pointed out in the off season that Morris was killing it as a gunner and was actually over running plays so he needed to play a bit more under control. Done deal! Good move. And this point plays right into Rogers. I'd much rather Morris play in the slot than Rogers. Let him gain some experience there and grow (beyond ST). This game and the Jags would be good practice. Look what happened when Cooper got a shot. These guys are ready.

Funny I actually wanted more ST guys...Ventrone was my only surprise and was very happy we brought back Osgood. He and Morris were lethal in pre season and now they are proving the same in actual games.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
The Titans were so bad against the 49ers that it literally killed Bud Adams?

If we use Delanie's logic, they killed their own owner. His blood is on your hands, Walker.
Carlos Rogers always sucks against quick slot receivers.
karma you should be snap judgments (Don Banks), Marvin is Monday MMQB ha ha.... both of you are not providing analysis or an observation for one of the most glaring problems, (the number two wide receiver)
Here's an observation: the 49ers coaches let off the gas pedal in the second half and nearly costed us the game.