There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 7: Thoughts after rewatching the game.

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Agree on most points. Still think aldon sits a game or two.
agree. if he misses the whole year i would not be shocked. some things are bigger than football

This is bigger than football...and THAT'S why I think he'll be back soon.

The last thing they want is to sit Aldon and give him a ton of free time. If he disengages with the team he is more likely to relapse into his old behavior.

If he's around the team and the coaches every day he has to be accountable and will have more focus. Having him skip the season doesn't do him any good. People keep saying that he should stay away...and do what exactly?

He needs to be around the team. He needs to be engaged.

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

You say this is bigger than football, I agree. Life and health are bigger and shouldn't take a back seat to football. If we rush him back we don't know if he's better, all we're doing is distracting him. He still has the offseason to really act stupid, we need to know he's ok before we get to that point. What he should do is focus on getting healthy and cured to a level that he gets it. It's better for us to test him now so we can get him back in if he needs it. Once the offseason starts that support structure is thinned. Using football now as a means to temporarily fix him is only putting a bandaid on a bullet wound. I want him to be mentally clear and tested before we talk about him "working"...I want him to be a 10 year vet. While we all want him back now (and need him) this is about the long haul. Would you rather rush him and risk relapse, the next time will be prison for sure. Or give him some time to really see how he's doing?
It appeared like Iupati and Goodwin had a good game in pass protection. The line had a couple of 5 man pressures that they blocked very well. Goodwin and Iupati kept the middle sealed.

This is encouraging. They looked to finely be hitting their stride. It showed in the passing game as well.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
It appeared like Iupati and Goodwin had a good game in pass protection. The line had a couple of 5 man pressures that they blocked very well. Goodwin and Iupati kept the middle sealed.

This is encouraging. They looked to finely be hitting their stride. It showed in the passing game as well.

I would bet Kap being under center and barking stuff at the line helped.
kap starting to look like a all pro again

You say this is bigger than football, I agree. Life and health are bigger and shouldn't take a back seat to football. If we rush him back we don't know if he's better, all we're doing is distracting him. He still has the offseason to really act stupid, we need to know he's ok before we get to that point. What he should do is focus on getting healthy and cured to a level that he gets it. It's better for us to test him now so we can get him back in if he needs it. Once the offseason starts that support structure is thinned. Using football now as a means to temporarily fix him is only putting a bandaid on a bullet wound. I want him to be mentally clear and tested before we talk about him "working"...I want him to be a 10 year vet. While we all want him back now (and need him) this is about the long haul. Would you rather rush him and risk relapse, the next time will be prison for sure. Or give him some time to really see how he's doing?

Sitting around idle is the worst thing in the world for an addict. I am not sure Aldon is an addict though, I personally think he let the money and fame get the better of his judgement. I think being back in football will cut down on the distractions, and not throwing huge house parties will cut down on the trouble he has been getting into.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Sitting around idle is the worst thing in the world for an addict. I am not sure Aldon is an addict though, I personally think he let the money and fame get the better of his judgement. I think being back in football will cut down on the distractions, and not throwing huge house parties will cut down on the trouble he has been getting into.

He can still work out, go to meetings, and be a team player. But playing and travel needs to take a back seat until Jim and Trent have a good understanding of where he is at. I feel that the distraction will mask any lingering issue and we will be back in this situation during the summer.
He can still work out, go to meetings, and be a team player. But playing and travel needs to take a back seat until Jim and Trent have a good understanding of where he is at. I feel that the distraction will mask any lingering issue and we will be back in this situation during the summer.

They have to get him a baby sitter, someone that will help steer him away from bad situations and teach him how to recognise and avoid bad situations. Like I said, I think the whole addiction thing is to cover the fact that he made some less than intelligent decisions. I am not sure he is an alcoholic so much as he is just unaware of how to behave now that he has more money than ever before in his life. Athletes in college who have serious alcohol problems usually fall in the draft a.d are in trouble more while in school, but I don't remember there being this issue about him predraft. I personally think he just got wild with his newfound wealth and fame and needed to be put in check, and that this was a wakeup call to let him know he needs to man up. Hopefully it does the trick because he is a special talent.
Post game locker room speech is up.
http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Locker_Room_Speech_Road_Warriors/1c701b87-85fd-42ab-8f5d-e678ec84f20a

This year's theme is "slap hands" to go along with who's got it better than us?". LOL

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM ]

They have to get him a baby sitter, someone that will help steer him away from bad situations and teach him how to recognise and avoid bad situations. Like I said, I think the whole addiction thing is to cover the fact that he made some less than intelligent decisions. I am not sure he is an alcoholic so much as he is just unaware of how to behave now that he has more money than ever before in his life. Athletes in college who have serious alcohol problems usually fall in the draft a.d are in trouble more while in school, but I don't remember there being this issue about him predraft. I personally think he just got wild with his newfound wealth and fame and needed to be put in check, and that this was a wakeup call to let him know he needs to man up. Hopefully it does the trick because he is a special talent.

It is so hard to say because dont currently have all the facts and we are not likely too. Two DUI's and some drunken exploits in your home compounded by taking a firearm into a state where it is banned is a pretty hefty list of dumb things for such a short time. It could all be bad judgment, but unless you know him and see what he is doing on a regular basis it would be very hard to tell from the outside if its addiction. We dont know if he is drinking every night and these are just the mistakes that were going to start a downward spiral or if he is just a dumb kid who likes to throw parties with his money and makes stupid decisions once he gets a few in him. The gun thing is a whole seperate issue, you would be suprised how many people from states where gun laws are lax dont realize they cant just take them across state lines. But the DUI's, the wild parties and the rough crowd he was inviting into his home...those can be warning signs.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
It is so hard to say because dont currently have all the facts and we are not likely too. Two DUI's and some drunken exploits in your home compounded by taking a firearm into a state where it is banned is a pretty hefty list of dumb things for such a short time. It could all be bad judgment, but unless you know him and see what he is doing on a regular basis it would be very hard to tell from the outside if its addiction. We dont know if he is drinking every night and these are just the mistakes that were going to start a downward spiral or if he is just a dumb kid who likes to throw parties with his money and makes stupid decisions once he gets a few in him. The gun thing is a whole seperate issue, you would be suprised how many people from states where gun laws are lax dont realize they cant just take them across state lines. But the DUI's, the wild parties and the rough crowd he was inviting into his home...those can be warning signs.

The only current fact we do have is the only thing that has reaccured in the past 365 days is the drinking, everything being brought foward other then the dui is situations from more then a year ago. Which to me says his drinking is more of an issue then the house parties.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Oct 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM ]
Great summary as usual Marvin49

Ncommand - love the analysis on Kap working from under center.

Thoughts .....

The defense looks better working against practice squad offenses. Yes, the secondary looks great but the level of competition is pretty beatable. We can get away with not having a pass-rush with these teams because they simply can't counter our offense and the overwhelming talent there. Should we feel good about these wins? Yes. A sign of a good team is that you beat the teams you're supposed to beat. However, the lack of a pass-rush is going to be an issue when Seattle comes to town.

I'm sorry Trent, but you're going to have to make a move. The 49ers need to decide if they're serious about contending this year or praying that Crabtree lowers his salary expectations during the off-season, Aldon gets over his personal stuff and the commish doesn't suspend him for more than 6 games next year. The secondary needs some help an infusion of talent and youth along with the WR corps - stress the term TALENT AND YOUTH. This is the last season this OL will be intact as is.

We need to either make a move (offense or defense) or don't act as if it's possible to beat Seattle and go deep into the playoffs with the roster as-is.

If its not an addiction issue and rehab was just to create a "cover" then he should sit a few games for normal punishment based on his stupidity. If he does have a real problem he should sit so the team can monitor how he's doing....maybe a few random piss tests. Either way he needs a sit down with Jim, Trent, Jed, and Fangio to discuss his problems so they can evaluate his progress and determine the next course of action. He will be walking a very thin line with the law from here on out, one more mistake and both the judge and the commish will make life very hard for him. And we need to know if we should be looking to draft more OLB's early next year.
  • buck
  • Veteran

The major thing is for him to get his life straightened out.

My guess is that there is no universal formula or panacea.

Aldon, his family, the rehab people, and the team will work together to get the problem(s) fixed.

I wish Aldon all the best.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

The major thing is for him to get his life straightened out.

My guess is that there is no universal formula or panacea.

Aldon, his family, the rehab people, and the team will work together to get the problem(s) fixed.

I wish Aldon all the best.

I join you in that wish.

Still, it is pretty clear that he has been in this pattern for quite a while. It is just not realistic to think that a 28 day hiatus is going to turn him into a good citizen. He has a lifetime of living to turn around. He will need a counselor at his elbow until he has re-learned how to live his life. The same crew he used to hang with is going to be coming back wanting to play the same games and he will have to learn to turn them all away. That is easier said than done. I wish him well but know it will be very difficult.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
My thoughts:

1) That was an excellent road win against a good team, they've got a good defense and decent offense. I think they're a middle of the paack team and we crushed them, though I think there were some big momentum swingers, mainly the interception cancelled by the personal foul and the fumble by Williams that wasn't called. Titans have a very good pass defense and they held Wilson in check, we still managed to get ours and move the ball on them.

2) Game wasn't as close as the score suggests. We went soft on them in the 4th quarter and probably should have gone for one more offensive drive score. I think Roman and Harbaugh just get a bit complacent and the play calls were very poor resulting in 3 and outs. Our defense is fine, they got their points in the 4th against our backups whith Whitner and Reid out and Smith and Raymac getting rested. 31-17 doesn't tell the story, we could have been 40+ to 0 if we'd maintained the focus and everyone was healthy.

3) Passing game is beginning to show signs of life when we mix the play calling well with read option and power running. We still need more variety in it though and we're going to have to move away at some point from scheming just one guy open, because when it doesn't work we're in real trouble.

4) Kyle Williams is just not NFL quality, he fumbled that ball and that could have killed us. There are no guarantees with Manningham or Crabs regarding their form on return and I think we should look to get a trade done for Gordon.

5) D-Line future looks bright. I think Dial did well for his first few snaps given he's had no OTA's or training camps. Dorsey is proving to be as good a signing as Boldin in my opinion. I see a bright future in Dial, Dorsey, Lemonier, Aldon and hopefully tank. Brooks is an excellent player at everything. TJE is looking decent but no more. If we can get some inside pressure as well it will be scarey good.

6) Eric Reid IS our secondary. If he's not on the field we've got troubles but he marshalls and leads the secondary so well, and he's so good in coverage. His tackling and hitting looked better this game when he came up as well. We're going to have to invest in it this draft. Dahl is not of the quality we require.

7) Doublemint twins - number 52's gettting up to game speed again, we've been lucky that Bowman is lights out as well. I think with our much improved secondary we might see these guys getting license to be more aggressive. I wouldn't be surprised if they turn in something special in the second half of the season.

8) Gire - even if he only averages 2.9 yards a carry, it's enough to tmake a d-line tired. I dunno what he's drinking but I'd love some.

9) Special teams - looking special and we just luck a good return man to take us to an elite level here. I'd be looking at some roster adjustments to manage this, Moore ain't suiting up, Williams is regressing and LMJ seems to be in some strange no man's land.

10) Kap is looking better under centre and his reading of the defense is getting better. He was instrumental in our win without having an eye catching performance. This is looking god for the second half of the season.
[ Edited by Buchy on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:47 AM ]