There are 41 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 7: Thoughts after rewatching the game.

Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Agree on most points. Still think aldon sits a game or two.
agree. if he misses the whole year i would not be shocked. some things are bigger than football

This is bigger than football...and THAT'S why I think he'll be back soon.

The last thing they want is to sit Aldon and give him a ton of free time. If he disengages with the team he is more likely to relapse into his old behavior.

If he's around the team and the coaches every day he has to be accountable and will have more focus. Having him skip the season doesn't do him any good. People keep saying that he should stay away...and do what exactly?

He needs to be around the team. He needs to be engaged.

Actually, the answer is really "it depends". He needs to be in rehab for as long as he needs to be in rehab, and that should come first. The worst thing for him is to rush through a program too quickly and get thrown to the wolves. Interestingly, the Cincinnati Reds (i think) and then the Texas Rangers both hired chaporone's to help turn things around for Josh Hamilton, perhaps an option here. Smith also needs to learn how to take care of himself financially and start getting counselling there. Players forget they need to plan for retirement using big dollars from relatively few earning years. Blowing money on Ferrari's you then smash up isn't going to last.

Yeah...but I think he's set to complete his rehab today...so it's not like they are plucking him out of rehab early. The team is in London anyway so he'll likely come home and spend a week there before the team returns.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Agree on most points. Still think aldon sits a game or two.
agree. if he misses the whole year i would not be shocked. some things are bigger than football

how dare say such nonsense.
Originally posted by Joecool:
As soon as Lattimore is 100% and begins to get some carries, I think Hunter AND LMJ may be out. Unless Harbaugh is thinking about doing a 180 in the playoffs and utilize LMJ's catching ability, he is not looking like he will be a key piece of our future. Hunter isn't really making an impact when he carries either.

I have a lot of concern at the backup RB position. Gore cannot continue to take on this much of the load every week. Honestly, Dixon may be a better relief option as he is solid catching out of the backfield and at running off tackle. Hopefully, Lattimore can contribute.

Kyle Williams is also a concern, mainly his return skills and how he is being utilized on offense. Dude is strictly a slot receiver and should not be used for anything other than the quick square routes or a seam out of the slot.

hunter is not going anywhere in my opinion

Agreed.
Originally posted by Raul98:
Can some one help me with this question when Wright returns I assume this week since he was a starter in Tampa where will he be here as of right now i see him as the number 4 corner behind brown rodgers and brock or will his experience automatically move him up to the 3rd corner? regardless of where he plays i think it wil just make us better. And i don't want to cut Nnamdi you can never have enough corners and he played decent before the injury Brock just wanted it more.

Wright will be #4 and will have to out play Brock to move up to #3. I think Nnamdi will be the corner that is cut and unless he gets picked up by a playoff team he will end his career without a playoff appearance.
Originally posted by saj4423:
Can some one help me with this question when Wright returns I assume this week since he was a starter in Tampa where will he be here as of right now i see him as the number 4 corner behind brown rodgers and brock or will his experience automatically move him up to the 3rd corner? regardless of where he plays i think it wil just make us better. And i don't want to cut Nnamdi you can never have enough corners and he played decent before the injury Brock just wanted it more.

Wright will be #4 and will have to out play Brock to move up to #3. I think Nnamdi will be the corner that is cut and unless he gets picked up by a playoff team he will end his career without a playoff appearance.

At this point, Wright still has to outplay Cox for the #4 CB position. Cox can also return kicks.

I see Wright starting out as the #5 CB and being inactive on sundays. Nnamdi will be looking for work.
As soon as Lattimore is 100% and begins to get some carries, I think Hunter AND LMJ may be out. Unless Harbaugh is thinking about doing a 180 in the playoffs and utilize LMJ's catching ability, he is not looking like he will be a key piece of our future.

I have a lot of concern at the backup RB position. Gore cannot continue to take on this much of the load every week. Honestly, Dixon may be a better relief option as he is solid catching out of the backfield and at running off tackle. Hopefully, Lattimore can contribute.

Kyle Williams is also a concern, mainly his return skills and how he is being utilized on offense. Dude is strictly a slot receiver and should not be used for anything other than the quick square routes or a seam out of the slot.

?

Really? Hunter is fine.

Lattimore won't play this year.

Hunter is averaging 3.7 on 34 carries. He has one long of 29. Take that away and he is only getting 2.9 per pop on all of his other runs. He isn't exploding through holes unless it is in the red zone. Running him between the 20's has pretty much been a wasted play. LMJ is averaging 4.4 per carry. If you take out his long, he is still averaging 3.3, which is better than Hunter.

We have no 3rd down back or we are not using them properly. Either that or these guys are needed to block more than go out so why not just keep Gore in the game. Hunter has 2 catches for 13 yards. LMJ has 3 catches for 29 yards.

Why won't Lattimore play?

34 carries is a VERY small sample size. Look at Gore through the first 2 games of the season. If you take out a couple of his longer runs then his average drops significaly as well. Hunter has proved in the past he's a very good #2. He averaged over 5 yards per carry last year.

I'm looking forward to seeing Lattimore as well, but the plan was ALWAYS to redshirt him. With Gore, Hunter, James, and Dixon on the roster there is no reason to change the plan on Lattimore.

He'll likely get some prectice time in the next month or so before they shut him down for good for the year.

Agreed. In my view many fans tend to over-value bench players (or those not in the line-up). Where is LMJ going to play? I believe Gore is the starter and Dixon is the situational goal line guy, so really LMJ has to beat out Hunter to crack the lineup and - in my view - he's not as good as Kendall. It says more about Baalke than it does LMJ.

Insofar as Lattimore, I think the plan continues to be to red-shirt the RB and see what he can do next off-season. For Marcus to start this season, he's going to have to wow the coaches enough by presenting a legitimate challenge to Gore. Don't forget, he is also responsible to learn the playbook and blocking assignments, which takes time and repetitions, both of which will be at far too a premium at this point in the season for Lattimore to really have a shot.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by kidash98:
Kap had a good game yesterday, IMO. Only issue I have is that he (looks like) still targets without going through his progression. Either that or I'm not seeing something different.

It is pretty clear Kaepernick HAS no progressions...by design. Most of the time it is Boldin, 2 TEs and Miller along with Gore. Davis is often split out and on occasion Williams is in. (We have discussed this simplified college offense at great length in other threads.) While other teams use multiple wide outs as receiving options, in HaRo's scheme, they are nothing more than downfield blockers for the one or two guys who are actually considered receiving possibilities. Hence, CK has either no progression, or only two options, and they are pretty quick to read.

So it is hard to tell if CK doesn't know how to go through progressions or just isn't given any, but the effect is the same. We won't know if he can be a good NFL passing QB against a good defense until/unless we put more receivers on the field at one time or Harbaugh goes to more of a pro-style passing game. For now, CK appears to be no better now than he has been at any time in the past. Not his fault necessarily. It is the design of the offense.

Saw him on a couple plays scan the field and hit a second target.

I haven't had time to watch the game a second time (I will) but I don't recall him doing more than just looking at one side of the field. In the few sets where there were wide outs on opposite sides of the field, he only looked at one side.

All this is going to be very difficult to overcome when we go against Seattle again, or any other team with a good secondary that plays press coverage. For example, last night Indy played press against Manning and the Broncos and shut even them down. Manning is much better at going through progressions. IMO, Harbaugh, in dumbing it down for Kaepernick, has slowed his progress to being a quality QB that can play against top secondaries.
The drive to open the 2nd half was flipping beautiful. I love it when the 49ers just rip the heart out of the other team with long sustained drives. The Titans had to be thinking "Force a three and out and let's get a quick score and make it a game". 7:30 later it was 24-0 and that was pretty much the ball game.
Originally posted by saj4423:

At this point, Wright still has to outplay Cox for the #4 CB position. Cox can also return kicks.

I see Wright starting out as the #5 CB and being inactive on sundays. Nnamdi will be looking for work.

You both make good points and they seem about right he will have to earn a higher spot. I'm really rooting for this guy hes a SF native and i know he will play hard for us and make us better. And about Nmandi i think your right the numbers game will be against him and unfortunately he will be elsewhere this season,
As soon as Lattimore is 100% and begins to get some carries, I think Hunter AND LMJ may be out. Unless Harbaugh is thinking about doing a 180 in the playoffs and utilize LMJ's catching ability, he is not looking like he will be a key piece of our future.

?

Really? Hunter is fine.

Lattimore won't play this year.

Hunter is averaging 3.7 on 34 carries. He has one long of 29. Take that away and he is only getting 2.9 per pop on all of his other runs. He isn't exploding through holes unless it is in the red zone. Running him between the 20's has pretty much been a wasted play. LMJ is averaging 4.4 per carry. If you take out his long, he is still averaging 3.3, which is better than Hunter.

We have no 3rd down back or we are not using them properly. Either that or these guys are needed to block more than go out so why not just keep Gore in the game. Hunter has 2 catches for 13 yards. LMJ has 3 catches for 29 yards.

Why won't Lattimore play?

34 carries is a VERY small sample size. Look at Gore through the first 2 games of the season. If you take out a couple of his longer runs then his average drops significaly as well. Hunter has proved in the past he's a very good #2. He averaged over 5 yards per carry last year.

I'm looking forward to seeing Lattimore as well, but the plan was ALWAYS to redshirt him. With Gore, Hunter, James, and Dixon on the roster there is no reason to change the plan on Lattimore.

He'll likely get some prectice time in the next month or so before they shut him down for good for the year.

It is a small sample size but the backups were used more last year. Gore has worn down at the end of seasons when he gets a heavy load early. My main question is, why does Hunter have such a small sample size?
the kaep regular season stat line is worthless..

and i lol'd at your boldin write up. nice read overall
It was a really good team win. The 9er defense mostly dominated the first half and did enough with quite a few player substitutions in the second half. Special teams was excellent, causing big time turnovers along with the defense. The offense efficiently burned up the clock without turning the ball over and scored points even with the running game being a bit stifled. Everybody carried everybody on everybody's back - even the gimpy ones.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Oct 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM ]
I thought Kaep was more comfortable and assertive in this game. I don't know if the plays were designed for him to run or he just saw things that he felt he could take advantage of but when he is running he seems to feel more comfortable in the offense and passes better as a result of his comfort level.

I thought the running game ran well enough to play their part in winning the game, especially the opening drive of the second quarter. That drive won the game.

I thought the passing game improved yesteday in that Kaep found a variety of receivers and got the ball to them. I thought Davis and Boldin were solid, Davis is still wounded and it does not help him to risk his body to reach out to get balls, whereas Boldin has magnetic hands and it was wonderful watching him catch some of those passes. I thought McDonald was more involved in the game and they are using Miller better and even Gore got a pass. Hope this trend continues. Williams has very poor hands for a WR. He should have been able to catch the one ball passed to him and if he had caught it the Niners would have been able to get more time off the board and may have driven for a score. We clearly need a better WR and hopefully Manningham will provide that for us.

Special teams are now a pleasure to watch and even sealed the game for us. I think Morris is getting enough quality play to keep him around and maybe he will squeeze into the regular line up soon. Morris is the variable that will probably send Asomugha packing when they are ready to activate Wright. But much better special teams coverage.

Pass rush is interesting to watch. They clearly miss Aldon Smith but at the same time Lemonier is getting quality time and experience. We need to win next week against the Jaguars and then get some much needed rest. By then Baalke will have sorted out the team and we will see who gets released to allow the new guys to play. None the less, they generated enough pressure to keep Locker on his toes. Three sacks for us is pretty good and they hit Locker a number of times. To get three quarters of quality play is good news. They also got Dial in the game to get his feet wet, which bodes well for the team in the long run. The bye will be huge for us in reference to our dline play, as well as the oline.

Coaching was pretty good and at least Roman got some variety in the game plan and got some other players invovled. The penalties are still down and the efficiency of play is better. Still getting close to wasting time outs but they got the plays off on time. Harbaugh had some good challenges so even he is getting more discreet and efficient.

Over all I think that the team played well enough to win, by far not their best game but with all of the injuries they won it and won it well. Lots of changes coming and hopefully Manningham and Carradine will get cleared and be ready to play after the bye. Then the last parts of the puzzle will be Crabtree and Aldon Smith. That will be quite the offense with Boldin, Crabtree, Manningham, Davis, McDonald, Gore and hopfully even Patton will be back from his foot problem. Then if the Dline gets some rest and Dorsey heals nicely and McDonald gets better with his arm, and Carridine and Dial prove to be able to give some rest to the frontline people, then our defense will be better as well and we will get our momentum just in time for the playoffs. It will be interesting and fun to see the team develop and play up to their potential.
Good read.

IMO, if we can get a big enough lead; the coaches should give as much rest as possible to players like Willis, Dorsey, Vernon and others who we'll need for the next haul. 3 VERY tough games w/Saints, Atlanta and a must win Seahawks game.

Also, Washington looks much better.

Agree, Hunter isn't going anywhere. If any back goes, IMO, it'll be LMJ in a trade.

How did Dial play?
When did atl without julio, roddy, or steven jackson become a tough game?