There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 7: Thoughts after rewatching the game.

There were two big penalties that swung the game in the 49ers favor. The first occurred in the early part of the 2nd quarter. Chris Johnson just ripped off three consecutive runs of 9, 3, and 7 yards and TEN was across midfield. The 9 and the 7 yard runs were up the middle. On the next play, DWalker gets called for offensive holding and it kills the TEN drive (punt).

The other penalty was the roughing the passer call for hitting Kap's knees, which nullified the Pollard INT. Those two penalties killed whatever offensive and defensive momentum TEN could have used to make this game close.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Agree on most points. Still think aldon sits a game or two.
agree. if he misses the whole year i would not be shocked. some things are bigger than football

This is bigger than football...and THAT'S why I think he'll be back soon.

The last thing they want is to sit Aldon and give him a ton of free time. If he disengages with the team he is more likely to relapse into his old behavior.

If he's around the team and the coaches every day he has to be accountable and will have more focus. Having him skip the season doesn't do him any good. People keep saying that he should stay away...and do what exactly?

He needs to be around the team. He needs to be engaged.
Originally posted by susweel:
How many WRs were actually active yesterday ?

Boldin, KW, Baldwin ?

I remember watching the game and it was very rare that we had even two WRs in on the same play.

I think it was just Osgood.

Btw is Marlon Moore still on the team?!
As soon as Lattimore is 100% and begins to get some carries, I think Hunter AND LMJ may be out. Unless Harbaugh is thinking about doing a 180 in the playoffs and utilize LMJ's catching ability, he is not looking like he will be a key piece of our future. Hunter isn't really making an impact when he carries either.

I have a lot of concern at the backup RB position. Gore cannot continue to take on this much of the load every week. Honestly, Dixon may be a better relief option as he is solid catching out of the backfield and at running off tackle. Hopefully, Lattimore can contribute.

Kyle Williams is also a concern, mainly his return skills and how he is being utilized on offense. Dude is strictly a slot receiver and should not be used for anything other than the quick square routes or a seam out of the slot.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:

Boldin, KW, Baldwin ?

I remember watching the game and it was very rare that we had even two WRs in on the same play.

He was inactive yesterday.
Originally posted by Joecool:
As soon as Lattimore is 100% and begins to get some carries, I think Hunter AND LMJ may be out. Unless Harbaugh is thinking about doing a 180 in the playoffs and utilize LMJ's catching ability, he is not looking like he will be a key piece of our future.

I have a lot of concern at the backup RB position. Gore cannot continue to take on this much of the load every week. Honestly, Dixon may be a better relief option as he is solid catching out of the backfield and at running off tackle. Hopefully, Lattimore can contribute.

Kyle Williams is also a concern, mainly his return skills and how he is being utilized on offense. Dude is strictly a slot receiver and should not be used for anything other than the quick square routes or a seam out of the slot.

?

Really? Hunter is fine.

Lattimore won't play this year.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by verb1der:

Boldin, KW, Baldwin ?

He was inactive yesterday.

Ahh...can't remember the last time I heard his name.

btw nice post again Marvin!
[ Edited by verb1der on Oct 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM ]
Originally posted by kidash98:
Kap had a good game yesterday, IMO. Only issue I have is that he (looks like) still targets without going through his progression. Either that or I'm not seeing something different.

It is pretty clear Kaepernick HAS no progressions...by design. Most of the time it is Boldin, 2 TEs and Miller along with Gore. Davis is often split out and on occasion Williams is in. (We have discussed this simplified college offense at great length in other threads.) While other teams use multiple wide outs as receiving options, in HaRo's scheme, they are nothing more than downfield blockers for the one or two guys who are actually considered receiving possibilities. Hence, CK has either no progression, or only two options, and they are pretty quick to read.

So it is hard to tell if CK doesn't know how to go through progressions or just isn't given any, but the effect is the same. We won't know if he can be a good NFL passing QB against a good defense until/unless we put more receivers on the field at one time or Harbaugh goes to more of a pro-style passing game. For now, CK appears to be no better now than he has been at any time in the past. Not his fault necessarily. It is the design of the offense.
As soon as Lattimore is 100% and begins to get some carries, I think Hunter AND LMJ may be out. Unless Harbaugh is thinking about doing a 180 in the playoffs and utilize LMJ's catching ability, he is not looking like he will be a key piece of our future.

?

Really? Hunter is fine.

Hunter is averaging 3.7 on 34 carries. He has one long of 29. Take that away and he is only getting 2.9 per pop on all of his other runs. He isn't exploding through holes unless it is in the red zone. Running him between the 20's has pretty much been a wasted play. LMJ is averaging 4.4 per carry. If you take out his long, he is still averaging 3.3, which is better than Hunter.

We have no 3rd down back or we are not using them properly. Either that or these guys are needed to block more than go out so why not just keep Gore in the game. Hunter has 2 catches for 13 yards. LMJ has 3 catches for 29 yards.

Why won't Lattimore play?
Originally posted by dj43:
Kap had a good game yesterday, IMO. Only issue I have is that he (looks like) still targets without going through his progression. Either that or I'm not seeing something different.

It is pretty clear Kaepernick HAS no progressions...by design. Most of the time it is Boldin, 2 TEs and Miller along with Gore. Davis is often split out and on occasion Williams is in. (We have discussed this simplified college offense at great length in other threads.) While other teams use multiple wide outs as receiving options, in HaRo's scheme, they are nothing more than downfield blockers for the one or two guys who are actually considered receiving possibilities. Hence, CK has either no progression, or only two options, and they are pretty quick to read.

So it is hard to tell if CK doesn't know how to go through progressions or just isn't given any, but the effect is the same. We won't know if he can be a good NFL passing QB against a good defense until/unless we put more receivers on the field at one time or Harbaugh goes to more of a pro-style passing game. For now, CK appears to be no better now than he has been at any time in the past. Not his fault necessarily. It is the design of the offense.

Saw him on a couple plays scan the field and hit a second target.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Agree on most points. Still think aldon sits a game or two.
agree. if he misses the whole year i would not be shocked. some things are bigger than football

This is bigger than football...and THAT'S why I think he'll be back soon.

The last thing they want is to sit Aldon and give him a ton of free time. If he disengages with the team he is more likely to relapse into his old behavior.

If he's around the team and the coaches every day he has to be accountable and will have more focus. Having him skip the season doesn't do him any good. People keep saying that he should stay away...and do what exactly?

He needs to be around the team. He needs to be engaged.

Actually, the answer is really "it depends". He needs to be in rehab for as long as he needs to be in rehab, and that should come first. The worst thing for him is to rush through a program too quickly and get thrown to the wolves. Interestingly, the Cincinnati Reds (i think) and then the Texas Rangers both hired chaporone's to help turn things around for Josh Hamilton, perhaps an option here. Smith also needs to learn how to take care of himself financially and start getting counselling there. Players forget they need to plan for retirement using big dollars from relatively few earning years. Blowing money on Ferrari's you then smash up isn't going to last.

- Football wise, I was really impressed by what I saw from Colin Kaepernick yesterday. He was being decisive with the football, throwing into tight coverage successfully, choosing to use his legs when it was appropriate and he seemed to be more comfortable in the pocket. Hopefully this game allows him to turn a corner and get out of the funk he's been in.

- When Vance MacDonald is creating more problems in the opponents secondary then your starting #2 WR, you have serious issues. This team could really use a TY Hilton type of receiver.

- The d-line didn't have an overly effective day for my tastes. Pressure was late consistently which forced them to blitz a lot more than usual and Tennessee was able to average just under 5 ypc. There are cracks showing on the dline.

- the o-line had trouble generating push in the ground game.

- Boldin and Davis continue to hold down the fort with excellent efforts.

- Brock is really playing well. He is not getting beat often. Though the occasional big play is inevitable, i like how he always seems to be in on the play with the WR downfield, forcing a great play on the wr to make the catch. He is picking up where Rogers is faultering a bit.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Oct 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM ]

?

Really? Hunter is fine.

Hunter is averaging 3.7 on 34 carries. He has one long of 29. Take that away and he is only getting 2.9 per pop on all of his other runs. He isn't exploding through holes unless it is in the red zone. Running him between the 20's has pretty much been a wasted play. LMJ is averaging 4.4 per carry. If you take out his long, he is still averaging 3.3, which is better than Hunter.

We have no 3rd down back or we are not using them properly. Either that or these guys are needed to block more than go out so why not just keep Gore in the game. Hunter has 2 catches for 13 yards. LMJ has 3 catches for 29 yards.

Why won't Lattimore play?

34 carries is a VERY small sample size. Look at Gore through the first 2 games of the season. If you take out a couple of his longer runs then his average drops significaly as well. Hunter has proved in the past he's a very good #2. He averaged over 5 yards per carry last year.

I'm looking forward to seeing Lattimore as well, but the plan was ALWAYS to redshirt him. With Gore, Hunter, James, and Dixon on the roster there is no reason to change the plan on Lattimore.

He'll likely get some prectice time in the next month or so before they shut him down for good for the year.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:

Saw him on a couple plays scan the field and hit a second target.

I think what really separates 49ers offense from other multi-read passing offenses is the fact that 49ers have a dominating run game that is already established before the game begins, and defenses first priority is to stop it. You can tell Titans game plan was to load up and stop Gore. When you come in with that advantage, you don't need multi-read passing, because the safeties have already shown their card.

For instance when you look at offenses like Broncos, Packers, Patriots, Saints...who don't have an dominant run game, they MUST have multi-read passing, because defenses are already geared to give them different looks in pass defense. Compared to the Niners, the passing game is already wide open with 1 on 1 match-ups because the safetys are loading the box.
Can some one help me with this question when Wright returns I assume this week since he was a starter in Tampa where will he be here as of right now i see him as the number 4 corner behind brown rodgers and brock or will his experience automatically move him up to the 3rd corner? regardless of where he plays i think it wil just make us better. And i don't want to cut Nnamdi you can never have enough corners and he played decent before the injury Brock just wanted it more.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
As soon as Lattimore is 100% and begins to get some carries, I think Hunter AND LMJ may be out. Unless Harbaugh is thinking about doing a 180 in the playoffs and utilize LMJ's catching ability, he is not looking like he will be a key piece of our future. Hunter isn't really making an impact when he carries either.

hunter is not going anywhere in my opinion