There are 328 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 7: Thoughts after rewatching the game.

1) Kap: CAREER regular season statline as a starter - 14 starts, 223 comp, 374 att, 59.49 comp%, 3020 yards, 8.07YPA, 18 TDs, 8 INTs, 92.54 QB Rating. Kap had himself a good game but I'm not in the "best game of the season" camp. I've always thought QBR was a joke so I can't really site it now when he has such a high rating and put any stock in it. Good, solid game.

2) Willis: Had a very good game considering, but he's still not himself out there. His instincts and savvy got him by, but he just doesn't have the speed right now. That bye will be huge for him.

3) Vernon: Vernon being Vernon. He'll benefit greatly from the bye as well.

4) Boldin: Those catches were unreal but I can't help but wonder if he had just a bit more speed if he would NEED to make some of those plays. The play down the sideline where he went up and got it...yeah, speed didn't make a diff there. Would he need to make a diving catch or a one handed catch tho if he were just a bit faster? I guess it doesn't really matter because those catches are a part of what makes him the player he is. Just makes me wonder sometimes tho.

5) Still surviving: Every week we get one week closer to the returns of Manningham and Crabtree. Willis gets a week healthier. Vernon gets a week healthier. Dial is back now. Carradine will make his debut. Aldon gets a week closer to his return (and I really think he'll be back after the bye). We likely go into the bye at 6-2. Just one game back from Seattle and they still have to come to SF. Not too shabby. The 49ers are winning these games handily and still aren't the team they CAN be when all the horses are healthy.

6) Brock: He gave up that long pass late in the game, but he has played very, very well. The INT was fantastic because he just did his job...he didn't bite and he stayed with his man. Horrible decision by Locker, but Brock was where he was supposed to be when he was supposed to be there. Add to that the play of Morris on Special Teams and the return of Eric Wright...and I think Nnamdi is about to be unemployed.

7) Pass Rush: STILL concerns me. They are manufacturing pressure and blitzing far more often then they did in the past. They haven't been able to get there with 4. Lemonier will improve as he plays more, Carradine may help in this regard, but lets be real. What they need is Aldon. I've been saying all along I think he's back after the bye. Nothing I have seen or heard has ever changed my mind on that one. After hearing Harbaugh after the game I am more sure now than ever. It looked to me like he is pretty sure when Aldon is coming back (tho not 100%) but he doesn't want to state it publically. Thats good too because they need him back.

8) McDonald: They need to get him into the passing game more. That was a great play on a tipped ball near the endzone. He was also wide open on the pass that Kap missed. He's getting better every week.

9) Late game points: This is more of a small concern more than anything, but they seem to give up some points and yards late in games when the game is effectively over. Its not all that uncommon, but if they aren't careful it could bite them in the a$$ at some point. I was happy to see that Willis made mention of it after the game and I heard he got on Eric Reid a bit for giving up that late TD to Delanie. I hope they listen to him.

10) NFC West: Well...big shocker. Looks like it'll be a battle between the Niners and Seahawks. The Cards have been exposed. They've lost in back to back weeks to these two teams and Carson Palmer is a turnover machine. I never liked Bradford but he was still by far their best option...and now he's done for the year. It does kinda bug me that the Seahawks played the Titans with Fitz at the helm and we got Locker and now they don't even have to face Bradford...but what'cha gonna do. It is what it is. The Niners can lose ANY game, but the two BIG ones on the Schedule are the 'hawks and Saints. If the Niners can pull those out then I don't think the Niners win just the NFC West....I think they win the NFC and play for #6. That' a long way off tho and that's alot of "ifs"...but the ride should be fun.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 21, 2013 at 9:43 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
my daughter was watching and voiced concern about our pattern to let up on the gas at half time. she said we did have control of the game the whole way but she was frustrated. does she have basis for that or is she pulling a cciowa dad over reaction??
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
careful marvin,, in your first bullet point. i called ck solid in a game this year and got ripped on for it
Kap had a good game yesterday, IMO. Only issue I have is that he (looks like) still targets without going through his progression. Either that or I'm not seeing something different.

Originally posted by cciowa:
my daughter was watching and voiced concern about our pattern to let up on the gas at half time. she said we did have control of the game the whole way but she was frustrated. does she have basis for that or is she pulling a cciowa dad over reaction??

I think the team lets up just a bit and then they aren't getting any pressure with Aldon out. They go soft in coverage and QBs can just sit back there and pick their spots.

Fangio started calling up some late blitzes tho at the very end.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM ]
Originally posted by kidash98:
Kap had a good game yesterday, IMO. Only issue I have is that he (looks like) still targets without going through his progression. Either that or I'm not seeing something different.

I think there is some truth to that, but I think alot of that is the design of the offense. All the shifts and snapping the ball with so little time on the clock are all efforts to force the D to declare their intentions and allow Kap to have a pretty good idea who's going to be open prior to the snap.

I think he's had some issues getting off that first read particularly when its Boldin because it's been drummed into his head to throw to him even when he's not open. I think getting Crab and Manningham back (players who will give him a better "I'm open" or "I'm not open" look) will make it easier for him to go through his progressions.

If yall are overreacting, then so am I.
As for the Rams, I don't know what to think about Bradfords injury. Of course I feel for the guy, and I know he was their best option at Quarterback, but I can't help but think that his overly careful gamestyle was holding them back from being the explosive offense they are trying to be. If they get some gunslinger in there and dumb down the playbook, I can see Austin Pettis, Lance Kendricks and Tavon Austin all becoming much more dangerous. But you never know in the NFL, usually having back up QB's start for the rest of the season spells death, but I think these guys will have a shot to make plays if they get a guy who isn't afraid to throw it to them.
Great review as usual marv, Im not sure i agree with this not being his best game of the season for kap, this was a great game for kap so the passing yards or tds didnt match what most fans consider great alot of the great things he did today were the immeasurables that weve been waiting to see from him, he made great adjustments at the line, he passed with confidense ran he ball when needed (without putting himself at risk like rgiii does) he took a nasty hit to the knees and shook it off like it was nothing, he scanned the field more then he usually does for his receiver. Kap really played with heart and i think hes starting to get a little more comfortable with vance as well after that great goal line catch. The game towards the end our d started lagging a bit and our offense could have played with a little more urgency. Our defense also seemed to start this game looking a little lathargic. Im not stressing to much on the pass rush especially after justin smith got two sacks in this game they were in the qbs face the whole game, when aldon gets back it will get better but im not really worried because it is giving our secondary extra reps and so far our secondary does not look quite as disasterous as last year, especially considering the not as strong pass rush. Boldin is boldin, slower but extremely physical with great hands. Vernon needs some rest and maybe consider a shaded visornbecause on the int vernon could have easily grabbed the ball but appeared to lose it in the sunlight.
Marvin:

You failed to mention the utter failure of Kyle Williams. or as he is now termed, Captain fair catch.

His catch and fumble that the niners got a fortunate call on could have been a game changer. Williams is aweful. I would rather see Manningham come in as number two, Cox return punts, LMJ KR.

When they need to go to 4 receivers, Baldwin is #3 and Vance McDonald or LMJ can line up as WR's.

Other than that, game was solid.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kronos2560:

If yall are overreacting, then so am I.

she was not over reacting like her dad tends to do(thank god ),,, but she noted we did that vs the pats and she would like to see us continue our aggressive play in the second half. again please do no misunderstand me,, we are very happy with yesterday and a four game streak but that part is a titch bothersome
Kap's YPA was excellent. He was superb passing and running in the 1st half. One poor read on the near INT while throwing to VD, who looked double covered. That was his most shaky decision of the day.

There were a lot of defensive substitutions in the 4th quarter and that was a big reason why lots of yards were given up. Justin, Reid, Whitner all saw limited playing time. From the initial look of it, I think Brock should have had deep safety help on that long pass he gave up. Spillman seemed to jump the underneath route and left Brock 1 on 1. Spillman needs to play it safer when protecting a big lead late in the game.

I agree Vance needs to get some more targets in the passing game. Perhaps by default because Kyle and Baldwin aren't getting it done. Although the pass was off target, it was encouraging that Vance had two steps on his man. With Vance's good straight line speed, LBs will have a tough time covering him on deep routes. One of these days, Kap will hit him in stride and it will give DCs another weapon to worry about.
How many WRs were actually active yesterday ?

Boldin, KW, Baldwin ?

I remember watching the game and it was very rare that we had even two WRs in on the same play.
Agree on most points. Still think aldon sits a game or two.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Agree on most points. Still think aldon sits a game or two.
agree. if he misses the whole year i would not be shocked. some things are bigger than football