There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kick Returner - wild idea...

Why does Williams fair catch everything? i don't understand it hes super fast and shifty if he tried to return the punts he could get some good yardage. Does he not want to get hit? For the second half of the season I want some one else returning punts. Hes also not that great of a wide receiver he fumbled yesterday that caused that fight.
I like this idea. Have Morris practice catching kicks and punts and train his ass to become a return man. The dude is fast as s**t. If he has a crease, he's gone.
Just because a guy is fast doesn't mean it will translate into being a good return man. Most of what makes a return guy good is his vision to spot lanes, not speed. Plenty of guys are quick in the NFL, it's the vision and fearlessness that separates the good return men from the rest. That said, to the OP's idea, why not. It's worth a shot provided Morris takes a lesson in ball security first.
Something needs to be done, that is not a question. Williams is TWO fair catches short of tying the team record for fair catches IN A FULL SEASON after only 7 weeks. Let's see if they finally make a move after the bye.
  • buck
  • Veteran
For what it is worth, Darryl Morris did not return any punts in his college career.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2012&org=670&player=2
Originally posted by Raul98:
Why does Williams fair catch everything? i don't understand it hes super fast and shifty if he tried to return the punts he could get some good yardage. Does he not want to get hit? For the second half of the season I want some one else returning punts. Hes also not that great of a wide receiver he fumbled yesterday that caused that fight.

I honestly believe Harbaugh and his staff simply HATE having to deal with the unknown. More than likely, they encourage KW to be extremely judicious in his determination of when to take off and when to fair catch. No doubt they'd prefer to have a dynamic kick-returing threat back there, but with no "trusted agents" as far as kick returners on the roster at the moment, they'd rather go with the devil they know (KW and his risk-averse dependability) than the devil they don't (the other untested/unproven returners on the roster). If our offense had been consistently explosive and we didn't have to dig out of an early-season hole, the coaching staff would likely have been much more experimental in terms of touches in the return game. But with very little room for error as far as keeping up with Seattle, Harbaugh and Co. are probably much more comforable getting nothing in the return game but not having to worry about turnovers than having to hold their breath every time the opposition punts.

Although I'm doing "the Picard" every time I see a KW fair catch with the closest defender some five yards away, I'd be hesistant to change things at the moment as well. Perhaps when we're healthier and better able to recover from momentum changers (like a muffed punt), we'll see somebody else worked in back there.
[ Edited by au8277 on Oct 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM ]
Originally posted by 9erred:
From the arm chair remote of 9erred to the Niners, official memo.

1. Please, Please send a message to the team, cut Kyle Williams, if he is not helping he is hurting the team. Plan of action.
2. Activate Mario Manningham, as #2, Jon Baldwin can be #3, Vance McDonald or LMJ can be the 4th WR.
3. As mentioned above, Perrish Cox PR
4. LMJ KR

Thank you for listening.

Just on your point 4. 9erred, I'm not sure if this is a good idea or long term. I think that the FO has looked at the team and roster and realized that next season they've got Lattimore coming into the equation, and he fits the offense much more than LMJ. I feel sorry for LMJ, but I wonder if they are now thinking that it's Gore, Lattimore and Hunter next season, with Boobie as the backup FB.
I just think its funny that when I posted earlier this year about how much we would miss ted ginn I was mocked. Hearing things like ginn sucked or was overrated. I was right. Yall were wrong.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/173867-whos-the-for-2013-season/search=KR/PR
[ Edited by theninermaniac on Oct 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM ]
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

RT @PaulKuharskyNFL Source: The #Titans are cutting return man Darius Reynaud this morning. > Do not expect 49ers to claim him.

The dislike for Kyle Williams almost pales in comparison to the hate many Titans fans have for Reynaud.

Not really. They wernt playing for a super bowl berth. And reynauld didnt fumble twice in the 4th q.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm all for it...BUT, it's one of those positions where if you have it, you have it, if you don't, you don't. We could all see that Hawkins appeared to have "it" in pre season esp. compared to what we had trying out then and currently run out there now. I'm baffled by how conservative this ST philosophy has been over the years...fair catch everything even inside the 10 and these guys are almost always easily tackled upon first touch. No "burst" upon catching either...all look slow and coverage in front is slow developing as well. If we had ANY kind of dynamic returner back there it could be the difference in the playoffs. We as Niner fans can't argue that one on any level. But conservative appears to be goal here so I don't anticipate any changes, even for the better. Fair catch and don't turn the ball over like what we saw with the Titans yesterday.

Ask Reynaud about aggressive decisions in the return game.
i have a great idea, only let them kick it to you once per game and let that be a touch back
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

RT @PaulKuharskyNFL Source: The #Titans are cutting return man Darius Reynaud this morning. > Do not expect 49ers to claim him.

The dislike for Kyle Williams almost pales in comparison to the hate many Titans fans have for Reynaud.

Not really. They wernt playing for a super bowl berth. And reynauld didnt fumble twice in the 4th q.

Well yeah, if you're comparing the sentiment to KW on Jan 23, 2012 to Titan fans with Reynaud right now. But a lot of 49er fans "softened" on KW, and the vitriol for him now isn't near what it was after the NFCCG. Whatever the case, I think it's safe to say neither would be cosidered a "fan favorite".
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
using Cox is always an option
Originally posted by Garcia:
using Cox is always an option

u love Cox
im happy with our return game. as long as you don't fumble you're alright with me. i feel our offense can score from any point on the field.