There are 199 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kick Returner - wild idea...

Ok here we go, it's probably a bit out there but I can't imagine Kyle Williams staying on the team purely on the basis of being the return man and most of the Webzone thinks the same. Safe Catch Williams is not getting it done as a WR, and when he doesn't call a fair catch he's good to get to the first tackler. When Crabs and Mario are fully back, he's likely in the firing line to ree up a roster spot.

LMJ seems to have fallen out of favour, and if he was going to be in with a shot at being the return man I think he would have been activated the last couple of days. We could look to use Cox, that is an option but...

What about training up Darryl Morris as a return man? The guy has 4.3 speed, if he gets a gap he's gone. We've got a game v JAX coming up and then a bye, what about giving him the practice reps as the return man. If he can catch the ball and shows it, then we could have a lethal weapon. At the moment I think the only thing our special teams lack is a home run threat, and maybe he could give us that, I think it's unlikely he can break tackles but with that speed it's just the hole he needs....

I admit it's a wild idea, but I think it's likely we're going to cut Kyle, he's not giving us anything in returns at the moment and LMJ seems to have a questionable future. It could be worth a shot....
I'm all for it...BUT, it's one of those positions where if you have it, you have it, if you don't, you don't. We could all see that Hawkins appeared to have "it" in pre season esp. compared to what we had trying out then and currently run out there now. I'm baffled by how conservative this ST philosophy has been over the years...fair catch everything even inside the 10 and these guys are almost always easily tackled upon first touch. No "burst" upon catching either...all look slow and coverage in front is slow developing as well. If we had ANY kind of dynamic returner back there it could be the difference in the playoffs. We as Niner fans can't argue that one on any level. But conservative appears to be goal here so I don't anticipate any changes, even for the better. Fair catch and don't turn the ball over like what we saw with the Titans yesterday.
Perrish Cox would work...he's better than Williams as well.

But there's some point being proven by the coaches by keeping Williams in as the returner.
[ Edited by kray28 on Oct 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM ]
Anybody but Kyle Williams works for me
I'd give him the reps and the chance against Jacksonville if we get a good cushion.
Good call!
If only the 49ers had one of those quick, shifty, guys with a good burst and can create in space, someone like Lamichael James.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

RT @PaulKuharskyNFL Source: The #Titans are cutting return man Darius Reynaud this morning. > Do not expect 49ers to claim him.
Kyle Williams has been less impressive than Ted Ginn at both returning kicks and as a receiver. If we didn't keep Ginn for the same reasons, why would we keep Williams?
I doubt Williams is on the team next year, wouldn't be surprised if he's cut by the bye week to bring back Manningham.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

RT @PaulKuharskyNFL Source: The #Titans are cutting return man Darius Reynaud this morning. > Do not expect 49ers to claim him.

The dislike for Kyle Williams almost pales in comparison to the hate many Titans fans have for Reynaud.
Originally posted by kray28:
Perrish Cox would work...he's better than Williams as well.

But there's some point being proven by the coaches by keeping Williams in as the returner.

cox hasnt been given a chance since he fumbled in the seahawk game
This is wild!
From the arm chair remote of 9erred to the Niners, official memo.

1. Please, Please send a message to the team, cut Kyle Williams, if he is not helping he is hurting the team. Plan of action.
2. Activate Mario Manningham, as #2, Jon Baldwin can be #3, Vance McDonald or LMJ can be the 4th WR.
3. As mentioned above, Perrish Cox PR
4. LMJ KR

Thank you for listening.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm all for it...BUT, it's one of those positions where if you have it, you have it, if you don't, you don't. We could all see that Hawkins appeared to have "it" in pre season esp. compared to what we had trying out then and currently run out there now. I'm baffled by how conservative this ST philosophy has been over the years...fair catch everything even inside the 10 and these guys are almost always easily tackled upon first touch. No "burst" upon catching either...all look slow and coverage in front is slow developing as well. If we had ANY kind of dynamic returner back there it could be the difference in the playoffs. We as Niner fans can't argue that one on any level. But conservative appears to be goal here so I don't anticipate any changes, even for the better. Fair catch and don't turn the ball over like what we saw with the Titans yesterday.

Hawkins has played in the league for five years. He has never returned a punt. He never returned a put at Cal, either.
So, we really can not say that he has that skill.

He and Williams are just about the same, statistically speaking, on kick off returns--except for one return in a preseason game.

I think it time to let the cutting of Hawkins go.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d819ee187/Cox-s-65-yard-punt-return