LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Lott Outlawed.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is why Ronnie Lott could not play in today's NFL. His fines for hitting too hard would get him banished!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJnURGGHBbc
Lots of things are different now.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
another 10 years and it will be flag football.
OutLotted
thats the way the game has morphed. you could also argue that mel blount couldnt hang a cb in the league anymore for different reasons.
Originally posted by crabman82:
thats the way the game has morphed. you could also argue that mel blount couldnt hang a cb in the league anymore for different reasons.

I am all for player safety, but I think that the burden on the defensive players is not reasonable or possible. They even get called for illegal hits when it "LOOKS" like they hit helmet to helmet. I am not sure what the answer is, but I don't think things are working right now.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
I was thinking the other day, someone should tally up all the personal fouls, fines, suspensions, etc.. that Lott would've accrued over his career.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
I was thinking the other day, someone should tally up all the personal fouls, fines, suspensions, etc.. that Lott would've accrued over his career.

His potential fines would be bigger than the national debt.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I remember when anyone other than a QB or kicker was fair game at any time before the whistle blew. A guy could be completely out of the play, but if he wasn't watching somebody would ring his bell. It used to be legal to clothesline quarterbacks. As you know a lot of NFL rules trickle down to College and High School. I at least got to enjoy the last year the "head slap" was legal I was a sophomore in HS. In 1977 the head slap was made illegal, and they started to allow O-line man to use there hands more. Pre 1977 a lineman could not extend his hands or he would get flagged. Pretty cool if you were D-line or a linebacker you could beat the O-lineman in the head (didn't hurt as you had hand, foreman pads and tapped up) if he extends his arms to protect himself it was "Illegal use of hands" and a 10 yard penalty. From 1977 on the game slowly evolved into what you see today. The first changes were to increase scoring, now it is also about player safety.They are taking away the intimidation factor that players like Lott had.

ok
You're assuming Lott would not have been able to adjust to rule changes. If he were playing today, he would play within the rules today, and I believe he still would have been a great player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVr8NQUS-zQ
Well Lott would be given a pass, considering his was missing a finger.
He was a complete Pro in 2 positions and IMO he'd have made the transition and still have been All Pro in both.
Share 49ersWebzone