A true 4-3 does not actually protect us. It would have 4 defensive lineman on the field. While we do regularly have 4 man fronts, the 4th is always a LB, who doesnt always rush the passer. They are routinely dropping into coverage. I always feel that having our 4 LBs on the field is the best option except for obvious passing situations. I would like to see us doing a bit more rotating on the front. My general feeling is that we dont do much disguising so that both the offense will feel we are dictating run/pass. This is to say, Here is our base pkg in early downs, we expect you to run. and the offense says this is a good front to run against. We then expect our guys to go out there and make plays. We have just gotten into trouble in two games because we didnt play the run out of our base D very well. I think if we face another team that begins to run against our base d, you will see Reid and 'Hitner' having to play very tough roles, of being part of the run stopping game, and being prepared to get into coverage.
All that said I have these thoughts on the D.
1. Reid for DEF ROY.
2. Lemonier is really coming on strong, I think he can turn out to be quite good, which is very helpful because...
3. I think Aldon is done for this year. I hope he gets his crapola together.
4. I'm hoping that the 'less strenuous' practice schedule will give our DL some more energy for games. The cramping and hamstring problems are evidence that they might not be ready/capable of the reps they are getting.
5. I really hope that Dial and Carradine can contribute, even if its for special pkgs, in special situations, or just eat up plays to give the starters a breather without getting destroyed.
6. Lastly, the best def is a good offense. More playmakers to keep the chains going and keep the D off the field all together.