There are 157 users in the forums

switch to a 4-3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I thought Dorsey's reputation was that he is a good run-stopper but next-to-useless as a pass rusher?
Originally posted by theduke85:
I thought Dorsey's reputation was that he is a good run-stopper but next-to-useless as a pass rusher?

He's useless as an outside pass rusher, from the 3-4 DE spot. There's more distance to cover and your matched up against an OT often. Dorsey's short stout frame is a better matchup against guards and centers.

A 4-3 DT's pass rush is usually a 1-gap, split the double team, flush the QB from the inside sort of thing. That is what Dorsey is better suited for.
He was incredible at LSU and projected to be a monster in the pros. I really don't know if he under-performed or was over-rated.

I'm confident he'll be used effectively by Fangip & company.

An added benefit is [hopefully] that he'll want something to prove and be pissed off. He had to be reading and hearing all the negative press in KC - so this may be his chance.
  • cools
  • Veteran

Could we see somthing like this ala Seifert? kind of a cross between 3-4 and 4-3 without needing a true 3-4 type NT

The inside guys playing 1 and 3 tech, A.Smith as the Elephant, Willis shines with the freedom as a Wil
who doesnt play well under the tutelage of the great Jim Tomsula?
Originally posted by cools:

Could we see somthing like this ala Seifert? kind of a cross between 3-4 and 4-3 without needing a true 3-4 type NT

The inside guys playing 1 and 3 tech, A.Smith as the Elephant, Willis shines with the freedom as a Wil

Wouldn't Bowman be the WIl?
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
who doesnt play well under the tutelage of the great Jim Tomsula?

The only undefeated HC in 49er History!
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:

I can see this happening. But will wait until we see who else we sign and draft. And yes, Bowman would be the Wil.

Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:

I can see this happening. But will wait until we see who else we sign and draft. And yes, Bowman would be the Wil.

5-2-4 Front would be effective for getting extra pressure without giving up vs the pass:

Aldon Smith___Justin Smith___Glen Dorsey___Ray Mac___Ahmad Brooks

Pat Willis____________Navarro Bowman
Originally posted by mebemused:
Mike Sando has an interesting read on the defensive scheme implications of Dorsey's signing:

Again, I don't think the 49ers are suddenly going to unveil a 4-3 base defense. But they do have flexibility with their personnel. They could be headed in that direction. As Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. noted when I reached out to him Wednesday, Smith was a 4-3 defensive end coming out of college. Ray McDonald was seen as an up-the-field lineman. The fact that Smith and McDonald have flourished in a 3-4 reflects well on them and on defensive line coach Jim Tomsula. There's precedent for Dorsey to make a transition, too.

On the other hand, Dorsey appears ideally suited for a 4-3 defense. That was the word on him as the fifth pick of the 2008 draft and that remained the word on him heading into free agency. And the 49ers do have the personnel to become more of a 4-3 team on defense should they choose to head in that direction.

"I could see McDonald as a three-technique type and maybe Dorsey as one-technique," Williamson said. "Ahmad Brooks could project as a 'SAM' linebacker pretty easily and Bowman would be great as the 'WILL'. Justin Smith could be a strong-side end, Aldon Smith could play the weak side. They do have the personnel."

We ran a 4-3, in our nickel and a 4-2 in our dime packages on 70% of our D snaps last year.

Sando also mentions that the Pats, one of the original 3-4 teams moved to a hybrid with more 4-3 fronts partially because of personnel, and partially because the 3-4 has become so popular, that it is now easier and cheaper to get 4-3 players in the draft. Its a good read:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/74001/glenn-dorsey-and-3-4-questions-for-49ers

Sando should get an account and post in NT.

4-3. lol

Bingo, we Flexed Aldon a lot. It plays as a 4-3 but is easily jumped into and out of with our personel

That's basically the defense we play right now. Our NT's are not asked to play 0 technique (over the center). Aldon moves around like the elephant.
Reading the article on Coach Tomsula watching Tank Carradine and having dinner with him is curious. He is more of a 4-3 DE at this point. Then, thinking about the Dorsey signing, who is more of a 4-3 DT. Seems the personnel would work if you put J. Smith, Dorsey at DT, A. Smith and Carradine at DE, Brooks, Willis, Bowman as linebackers. Seems like an offense's worst nightmare...
We are more of a hybrid front then a 34 or 43 defense. Our defensive front is very versatile so that gives us an advantage of switching up our schemes. If I remember correctly, Willis played as a 43 lb in college and Bowman was a olb in penn state. Dorsey played a 43 defense at lsu but he also played 34 at KC. So if we do get Carradine, I don't think we will have to change our defense at all
How often do we even use our "base" 3-4 package?
Share 49ersWebzone