There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The annual "Should we switch to a 4-3 Base D?" Question

I know we like to discuss this every year, but its a decently valid question with our current roster.

This year that would allow us to spell JS and McDonald inside with Dorsey, and would keep our 3 best LBs on the field, and our other OLB as the starting DE. Once Tank is back, he could take over the other DE spot. This would allow the most rotation with the aging and ailing big guys up front.

Going into next year, not this year, we could have Brooks, Willis and Bowman as the 3 LBs, with Lemonier, Tank and Aldon rotating as the DEs. Dorsey and McDonald at the DT spots. With Smith likely seeing his last year (could be wrong, but he's hinted of retirement), this may be the best use of our talent.

Just curious as to others' thoughts
No
Please make it stop. As mentioned before, the Niners are a 4-3 defense the majority of the snaps, just their base defense to start is a 3-4. If you have players for a 3-4 they can play a 4-3.

With the league going to a passing league, the Niners are in a 4-3 on all dime packages and sometimes on nickel packages.

With the starting NT's going down, the 4-3 defense will be utilized 70% of the time just as it was last year.

Aldon Smith used to play the elephant position (charles haley) of the 3-4 or hybrid 4-3. No Lemonoir plays the elephant position.
Interesting idea. The lb core is probably better suited to play the 3-4, but the d-line (without Justin smith), would be a decent front four. It seems like we play mostly 4 man fronts anyways.
[ Edited by Diaperfan on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM ]
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
no
Originally posted by 9erred:
Please make it stop. As mentioned before, the Niners are a 4-3 defense the majority of the snaps, just their base defense to start is a 3-4. If you have players for a 3-4 they can play a 4-3.

With the league going to a passing league, the Niners are in a 4-3 on all dime packages and sometimes on nickel packages.

With the starting NT's going down, the 4-3 defense will be utilized 70% of the time just as it was last year.

Aldon Smith used to play the elephant position (charles haley) of the 3-4 or hybrid 4-3. No Lemonoir plays the elephant position.

actually it's not the same..the 3-4 leaves huge gaps in the middle with a LB wide on the left or right side...while a true 4-3 has 4 linemen shoulder to shoulder
This is a valid question, given the injuries to our NTs and the fact that Aldon is gone.

The key is how ready is Tank. He was a monster 4-3 DE in college. Lemonier was also a 4-3 DE. I would expect that once Tank is 100% we will see a TON of even fronts. Even with Dorsey coming back, an even front is the best way to get the most production out of Tank this year.

However, Tank is the only guy we have that I think could play DE in a true 4-3 defense. Aldon and Lemonier are a bit light and better suited for a 3-4 OLB. Same goes for Brooks. Without him, we can't run a real 4-3.
Every year someone thinks it's a valid argument.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
no.
Nah ...we ok with the 3-4 .... we DO have the players that can put pressure on the QB as edge rushers ...but we can use them in our nickel and dime packages
I'll just put full faith and trust in Vic's opinion.
How bout let's try the "Wide 9" thing!
For this next game it wouldn't be a bad idea.
starting to wonder if people ever actually played football in their lives or just play too much madden LOL
Originally posted by MannySoopa49ersnMD:
starting to wonder if people ever actually played football in their lives or just play too much madden LOL

I'm a retired backyard tackle football player, and an All-Madden level gamer. whuuut!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home