Not a member? Register Now!

Is Mike Purcell good enough?

Next Man Up! Lehhsss Gooooo!/
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Oh how I miss a dominant run defense.

Would be nice to have that but in today's NFL I'll take one of the top passing defenses over top run defense.

If anyone wants to watch here is the 1st 3 games of his senior season against Texas, Toledo and Cal Poly. Did anyone keep an eye on him during pre-season. I didn't notice him during the games much and even when I rewatched the games. I spent more time looking at Okoye, TJE, and Tukuafu.

Well dominant run-defense sure helped the 9ers get to the NFC Championship in 2011 and Super Bowl in 2012.

9ers were decent in 2012 against the pass, only problem was Goldson wasn't communicating with Whitner, which even Whitner admitted too.
I'm not worried, we play in the Nickel more then anything. Plus a NTs primary job is to just eat up blockers, I'm sure between him and TJE they get the job done against Tenn and Jax, by then Dorsey and Dial will be in the mix
I have no idea about Purcell. Tank has ability but there seems to be more talk on Dial at nose tackle. The guy is a fifth round pick, I don't expect too much. If Tank is 100% he could make an impact.
Well dominant run-defense sure helped the 9ers get to the NFC Championship in 2011 and Super Bowl in 2012.

9ers were decent in 2012 against the pass, only problem was Goldson wasn't communicating with Whitner, which even Whitner admitted too.

Actually we were #4 in the regular season at 200.2 yards per a game. Then of course we fell apart in the post season facing better QB's and with Aldon and Justin hurt. We were 4th in rush defense as well. I agree though our run d has definitely slipped and I'd love to have a dominant run D again and a dominant pass D but if I had to choose in today's NFL I'll take a dominant pass d. That being said as we know it starts with the NT. Dorsey is doing well, maybe even better than Williams. I hope Dial is that NT we need who can anchor the run defense in the future and then Dorsey or Williams can come in on pass downs.
He did well enough to get signed to our PS. Healthy is good enough until everyone else heals up and gets back on the field.

Exactly. The 49ers defense is at its best when they get teams one dimensional. They've done that in the past with a dominant run defense. Its the balanced attacks on offense that win games against better competition. This means you must be a balanced defense as well. We're not the same against the run but we're still very stout. The only problem is that we have no depth and teams that stick with the run wear us down toward the end of the game.
At DE - J Smith>McDonald>Tank>Dobbs>Jerod Eddie

At NT - J Smith>Dial>Purcell>Jerod Eddie

I hope we play a minimal amount of the 3-4 base and primarily use our nickel and selectively blitz. When we use 3-4, I would move JSmith to NT and bring Tank in at DE. Tank (1st round talent) should be able to come up to game speed faster than Dial (although I am hopeful that Dial should be ready to take on NT duties in London and after the bye). Agreed - do not rush Dorsey back.

Purcell is not ready
I have no idea.

With his size he could at least clog up the middle if Titans get in a short yardage situation.
Move Willis to NT and have Wilhoite play MLB with Bowman

END THREAD
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldBlooded1985:
At DE - J Smith>McDonald>Tank>Dobbs>Jerod Eddie

At NT - J Smith>Dial>Purcell>Jerod Eddie

I hope we play a minimal amount of the 3-4 base and primarily use our nickel and selectively blitz. When we use 3-4, I would move JSmith to NT and bring Tank in at DE. Tank (1st round talent) should be able to come up to game speed faster than Dial (although I am hopeful that Dial should be ready to take on NT duties in London and after the bye). Agreed - do not rush Dorsey back.

Purcell is not ready
the team may not have a choice and he will have to be ready
So Purcell is better than a green Dial
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
So Purcell is better than a green Dial

not better, but probably more prepared for a 1 game fill in scenario. its great to look at youtube vids of dial but until yesterday hadnt even practiced once with the squad. i always thought it was unreasonable to expect he'd just slide in. and play.
Dial is a mountain of a man, hopefully he can play.
One thing that jumps out in that film - he often occupies two blockers who don't really move him. Of course, they're college blockers.