There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Mike Purcell good enough?

There is chatter he could be activated from the practice squad for the Tennessee game due to the DLine's injury status.

Can he play?
Still waiting to hear from susweel's source about the situation.
Probably not but he's all they have at this point. Let's hope he can step up.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Still waiting to hear from susweel's source about the situation.

my sources deep within the organization say he's a good prospect but still needs another off season to improve his technique.
I suppose if he's not ready we could always not play a NT.

But seriously TJE isn't ready either. He was gettinf cramps and pushed back a good 2 yards.

Under no circumstance should we rush Dorsey back, and hamatring injuries can get really bad if not allowed to heal fully.

Realistically Dial probably wont play till after the bye and I would prefer we did the same with Dorsey.

Whether he's "ready" or not we at least Purcell for the depth.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Probably not but he's all they have at this point. Let's hope he can step up.

LOL, this. Not sure the 49ers have any choice at this point, the only upside I can see is that Tennessee has been terrible running the ball up the middle, hopefully that continues this Sunday.
I really think we should restructure Vernon Davis's deal to create some cap space (and keep Vernon a 49er for the rest of his career) and then get Richard Seymore on a 1 year deal.

I have my doubts about the abilities of Dial, TJE, and Purcell. Until Dorsey comes back, teams with decent running games will make that their focus and we will have a difficult time getting our defense off the field.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,259
purcell's active but, functionally, his arms are a little short and he can't dominate nfl o-lineman in the hand wars. but, he will not be a glaring, weak link when he's in the game.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
There is chatter he could be activated from the practice squad for the Tennessee game due to the DLine's injury status.

Can he play?

better than dial/ carriadine at this point i guess if he is seriously being considered
...who?
  • Kolohe
  • #TeamLevi
  • Posts: 33,747
Oh how I miss a dominant run defense.
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 32,945
I dont care if he's ready or not... I'd rather have him play than an offensive lineman or backup Linebacker if one of our guys go down...
Have line up in front of the center and just keep pushing the center back every play...the rest of the guys will take care of the mess
Originally posted by eonblue:
I suppose if he's not ready we could always not play a NT.

But seriously TJE isn't ready either. He was gettinf cramps and pushed back a good 2 yards.

Under no circumstance should we rush Dorsey back, and hamatring injuries can get really bad if not allowed to heal fully.

Realistically Dial probably wont play till after the bye and I would prefer we did the same with Dorsey.

Whether he's "ready" or not we at least Purcell for the depth.

But even if you don't use a NT and play nickel all game who will be on the DL?
Lemonier, Smith, McDonald, and Brooks on the line with Bowman, Willis, and Skuta at LB? I'd say maybe Dobbs at DE and Brooks at LB instead of Skuta but I think Skuta is a much better LB than Dobbs is a DE.

I think they should just bite the bullet and activate Tank and Dial. There's been hundreds of rookies start out looking great from day one. Let them do it too. I bet they would contribute more than Dobbs and TJE/Purcell.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Oct 17, 2013 at 12:22 AM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Oh how I miss a dominant run defense.

Would be nice to have that but in today's NFL I'll take one of the top passing defenses over top run defense.


If anyone wants to watch here is the 1st 3 games of his senior season against Texas, Toledo and Cal Poly. Did anyone keep an eye on him during pre-season. I didn't notice him during the games much and even when I rewatched the games. I spent more time looking at Okoye, TJE, and Tukuafu.


[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM ]