LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Anquan Boldin

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by crake49:
I hope he doesn't because the Niners aren't going to pay that. Besides, what has Mike Wallace done lately for his money? He was 28th in receiving yardage last season for the Dolphins. It just shows again why dumping a lot of money on a free agent isn't a good idea.

Someone is still going to do it every offseason, though, mostly because they suck at drafting.
I hope he doesn't because the Niners aren't going to pay that. Besides, what has Mike Wallace done lately for his money? He was 28th in receiving yardage last season for the Dolphins. It just shows again why dumping a lot of money on a free agent isn't a good idea.

Would far rather have Crabtree than Wallace who essentially is a one trick pony. Crabtree has better hands, a better route runner, better run blocker....etc.
Totally agree that Crabtree is more valuable than Wallace. And, totally agree that one or two teams will step on their dicks in free agency as they always do. That's why I'm glad that Baalke and Harbaugh aren't really into running the team that way.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I have a feeling a lot of the Crabtree deal talk next offseason (if they don't do it this offseason) is going to revolve around Patton's development. If Patton looks like a legitimate #1 or #2 then Crabtree is probably expendable considering we've got Boldin for a couple more years now, and will probably draft a WR this year some time in the first 4 rounds.
Originally posted by Disp:
I have a feeling a lot of the Crabtree deal talk next offseason (if they don't do it this offseason) is going to revolve around Patton's development. If Patton looks like a legitimate #1 or #2 then Crabtree is probably expendable considering we've got Boldin for a couple more years now, and will probably draft a WR this year some time in the first 4 rounds.

Right. Patton's performance this year will be important. And, since this draft is so deep in receivers, I expect at least two or three new ones to enter the mix.
Originally posted by Disp:

Right. Patton's performance this year will be important. And, since this draft is so deep in receivers, I expect at least two or three new ones to enter the mix.

Listen, I like Patton. but he had 5 catches last year including post-season. He needs to produce a lot more on the field before I even consider the possibility he could replace Crabtree. Part of it is involving him more in the gameplan, because he looks like a gamer who just needs an opportunity. But it's way to premature to even suggest he could be a legit #1 or #2.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 7, 2014 at 3:42 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Listen, I like Patton. but he had 5 catches last year including post-season. He needs to produce a lot more on the field before I even consider the possibility he could replace Crabtree. Part of it is involving him more in the gameplan, because he looks like a gamer who just needs an opportunity. But it's way to premature to even suggest he could be a legit #1 or #2.

I agree. That's why it's important to get a good look at him this next season. They don't really know if he's even in the ballpark as far as being a #1 or #2. He looks like a slot receiver to me - very quick.
Matt Maiocco‏@MaioccoCSN22 secsSource: #49ers Anquan Boldin's first year cap number is $2.364 million. Deal is actually 5 years (for cap reasons) but voids after 2 years.

Now that's interesting.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Matt Maiocco‏@MaioccoCSN22 secsSource: #49ers Anquan Boldin's first year cap number is $2.364 million. Deal is actually 5 years (for cap reasons) but voids after 2 years.

Now that's interesting.

Front office putting in work.
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 23m
Anquan Boldin's new deal with #49ers is a 5-year pact for cap purposes, but last 3 years void. Prorates $4.545M signing bonus over longer.

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 22m
Boldin also has $955K gtd base in 2014 and $5.5M base ($3M gtd) in '15, plus $500K in per-game roster bonuses each year. So, 2 years, $12M.

Extending Anquan in the off season already means we had a successful preseason. No matter who we draft or acquire, nobody is going to be as good at any position as Anquan is at his. Way to go Trent,Jed and Coach H.
Originally posted by pd24:

Now that's interesting.

Front office putting in work.

Not sure I like it. Intentionally creating dead money.
Not sure I like it. Intentionally creating dead money.

Would it still count against our cap if he retires after 2 years?
This lowers his proration of his signing bonus big time. Instead of $2,272,500, it's $909K, we actually have $9.7M in cap room for 2014 now.

If his deal does void, his dead money would be $2.272M in 2016. Which is doable, as we have over $90M for that season in cap room right now.
We basically gained an extra $1,363,500 for 2014.
Share 49ersWebzone