LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 173 users in the forums

Anquan Boldin

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
2012 was a wash, but 2013 looks like it's going to be a very productive draft. Reid is a keeper. Patton can play. Lattimore will be a factor next year, and don't forget about Carradine.

Yeah, great pick with Carradine, the 49ers really didn't need a contributing rookie this season.

With Bowman shelved for a while, it is time to see a healthy Carradine play.
He's not a linebacker so he doesn't really help in that sense but I know what you mean. We need to see Caradine come into the equation and kick some arse.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
When are we going to resign this guy?

I'm betting it happens right before FA kicks off in mid March.
Originally posted by matt49er:

Are we allowed to resign before FA begins?
His impact was huge this year. He's a performer. Very healthy. Sign him.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Originally posted by matt49er:

Are we allowed to resign before FA begins?

Yes. So why hasn't he signed? Most likely it's because he's gonna test the market. He just had two huge seasons in a row. No reason not to try for 10.0M+ per year.
Despite his saving the team last season, I wouldn't be so quick to resign him. The FO's object should be to target beating Seattle, even in Seattle. That will require speed, and much more of it. Boldin was neutralized in both Niners' games in Seattle (as was VD and Crabtree). Those three are good enough to beat lesser teams, but the Super Bowl now goes through Seattle.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Despite his saving the team last season, I wouldn't be so quick to resign him. The FO's object should be to target beating Seattle, even in Seattle. That will require speed, and much more of it. Boldin was neutralized in both Niners' games in Seattle (as was VD and Crabtree). Those three are good enough to beat lesser teams, but the Super Bowl now goes through Seattle.

Whoa. One game won't ever define one player's capabilities to perform.

With that being said, and what Boldin did for us this season, there's no doubt in my mind we need him back for the regular season + another game in/against Seattle. You are correct in saying we need speed, but we can't give up a game-changer like him to acquire one. The dude is big-time, a momentum-starter for sure.
We do need speed BUT look what he did w/out elite speed.

Imagine if we had:

A). a speed guy on the field at the same time as Boldin & Crabs

B). a game plan that actually used them
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:

With that being said, and what Boldin did for us this season, there's no doubt in my mind we need him back for the regular season + another game in/against Seattle. You are correct in saying we need speed, but we can't give up a game-changer like him to acquire one. The dude is big-time, a momentum-starter for sure.

Boldin was all but blanked in both games the Niners played in Seattle. Boldin and Crabtree are too similar as possession-type receivers, excellent as they are. To beat Seattle, better utilize Kap's strong arm, get the safety off scrimmage, the Niners need speed, starting speed, at WR.

Boldin was all but blanked in both games the Niners played in Seattle. Boldin and Crabtree are too similar as possession-type receivers, excellent as they are. To beat Seattle, better utilize Kap's strong arm, get the safety off scrimmage, the Niners need speed, starting speed, at WR.

No disputing the last part, but again, I do believe we can still be effective against SEA with Anquan, if we do add speed, I hope it doesn't come at his expense. They are very similar, which I feel is a good thing because the more plays we design for one, it applies for the other. I just think our playcalling will determine, to some extent, a player's effectiveness. Kaep's (or our coaching's) decisions to lock on one receiver also plays a role on who gets some looks and who doesn't. (I'm on Kaep's side btw, in that I think the playcalling has a factor into when he does decide to lock on).

Boldin could have a breakout game against anybody, whether we have speed or not, and the same goes for Crabtree. I feel like our playcalling can and should be adjusted to where we utilize all of our threats throughout a game.

Boldin is a must sing going into the 2014 season for a couple of reasons.

1. If the Niners want to win it all Boldin is a great leader to the team a classy veteran who can mentor Kap going forward
2. He is physical and with the Hawks CB we need a guy like him to get of the line in press coverage
3. Niners suffer on third down and red zone plays he makes a great third down option
4. Great route runner great hands and great attitude make him an essential part to Kaps growth
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Imagine if we had:

This...had a 4.2 Ginn, Moss, Moore and probably a couple more "burners" but never used them despite a strong arm with CK. So I'm a little skeptical that a burner is what this staff wants let alone use.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Imagine if we had:

This...had a 4.2 Ginn, Moss, Moore and probably a couple more "burners" but never used them despite a strong arm with CK. So I'm a little skeptical that a burner is what this staff wants let alone use.

Ginn had questionable hands and moss was old. i barely even remember moore

No disputing the last part, but again, I do believe we can still be effective against SEA with Anquan, if we do add speed, I hope it doesn't come at his expense. They are very similar, which I feel is a good thing because the more plays we design for one, it applies for the other. I just think our playcalling will determine, to some extent, a player's effectiveness. Kaep's (or our coaching's) decisions to lock on one receiver also plays a role on who gets some looks and who doesn't. (I'm on Kaep's side btw, in that I think the playcalling has a factor into when he does decide to lock on).

Boldin could have a breakout game against anybody, whether we have speed or not, and the same goes for Crabtree. I feel like our playcalling can and should be adjusted to where we utilize all of our threats throughout a game.

One way we could have used Boldin, that the Raven's used as well, was motioning Boldin, lining him up in jumbo formations and esp. running him from the slot esp. in the RZ. In each case, he should have a free release even against Seattle.
Originally posted by lucky_49:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Imagine if we had:

Ginn had questionable hands and moss was old. i barely even remember moore

Ginn's "hands" were fine. We only took one shot with him while he was here (called back TD). But it was his speed teams had to respect and like Moss (the threat) is what opened up a bunch underneath stuff for Crabtree and VD. Moore was brought in as the deep threat from Miami and played terrific in pre season. Never used either. Moss? He will go down as the best jump ball receiver of all time. Never used other than as a deeper decoy and as a #2 or #3 when injuries occured. I'm sure you could throw in Walker, VD and a host of others as "burners" but how often were they used in this manner? Deep post? Double-move and go along the sidelines? Go routes? Watch other teams and the exotic routes they use to get guys open on deeper routes (some with and some w/o "burner" speed).
Share 49ersWebzone