There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The next 49er to get a big $$ deal (other than Kap)

Originally posted by dwett:
Also I said this earlier. Is Kaep in the same category as Rodgers, Brees, Brady, and Manning. I hope he is if we are going to pay that percentage of our cap for him.

The real question here is what other teams would give Kaep to get him. It depends on how this season plays out.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Honestly I think the team may escape having to give Aldon some ridiculously huge contract and get something reasonable which may lead to them being able to keep Iupati and Crabs. Depending on how Crabs comes back from this injury though he could have a ton of leverage on this team considering how bad the WRs have played.

If we don't make aldon the highest paid olb in the league there's probably 31 other teams that would. He's that good

He isn't worth a highest paid Defensive player, he is clay matthews money, but now, he hasn't earned it off the field. He needs to prove he is clean, if not, I wouldn't touch him for a high dollar extension.

Also Hunter isnt eligible till next offseason. But I'm sure the OP knows that.

Boldin I see at $5M a yr for 2 or 3 years. Well Worth it.

AB who would you cut or release next year beyond Rogers? Also what's our impact iof we let him go, would it incur dead money on the cap?

I'm not sure Whitner is worth the money of resigning so I would look to let him go.

The other thing I notice from your site for the 2014 Salaries is that we seem to have a lot of money tied up in special teams - Andy Lee, Dahl, Spillman, Skuta and Ventrone are combining for about $8.3m. LMJ is also on $900k.

Garret Celek is sitting around $500k as well I think they are all players on the bubble I could see as potenitally replaceable through the draft.

I'm really not up to speed on cap management so I don't know what would be the hit if we let them go.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
crabtree

People forget that Crabtree has yet to have a full season (including TC) when he hasn't been injured beyond just the pulled muscle variety. Does this record warrant his getting a big $$ deal? I don't think so. And I'd be surprised if he got a Wallace-type deal. He'll get a fair, mid-level offer, I believe.

Mid-level? No I think you are wrong there man, Crabs is very talented and if it's not the 49ers someone will give him pretty good money. I'm thinking 10-12M per year.

Are you Eugene Parker?
Originally posted by Psinex:
crabtree

People forget that Crabtree has yet to have a full season (including TC) when he hasn't been injured beyond just the pulled muscle variety. Does this record warrant his getting a big $$ deal? I don't think so. And I'd be surprised if he got a Wallace-type deal. He'll get a fair, mid-level offer, I believe.

Mid-level? No I think you are wrong there man, Crabs is very talented and if it's not the 49ers someone will give him pretty good money. I'm thinking 10-12M per year.

Are you Eugene Parker?

you got me! And AB is Paraag so you know we troll the zone together and laugh about it whenever I'm at 49er headquarters.
crabtree

Are you Eugene Parker?

you got me! And AB is Paraag so you know we troll the zone together and laugh about it whenever I'm at 49er headquarters.

That got a good lol out of me, And a huge I wish I was in Paraag's position, or as an intern, would be a dream. But would rather do what I do for a small company that allows me to share the info with fans, and not be tied to not allowed to be on a message board, or give out cap numbers.

But If I ever had the opportunity, I would have to think hard about it. Would need to a boatload of cash,
Or maybe I am marathe, Remember Transformers: Robots in Disguise, I could be Paraag Marathe: Webzoner in Disguise
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
In terms of 'the next guy' to get $$, I'd go with Boldin. I can't imagine we'd allow him to test free agency and he's an insurance policy for our the Crabtree situation. Boldin will probably command a 3yr deal, but he's been invaluable.

I think Boldin is gone next year.

I like him, don't get me wrong, but I don't think they'll pay what he'll want in a new contract.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
In terms of 'the next guy' to get $$, I'd go with Boldin. I can't imagine we'd allow him to test free agency and he's an insurance policy for our the Crabtree situation. Boldin will probably command a 3yr deal, but he's been invaluable.

I like him, don't get me wrong, but I don't think they'll pay what he'll want in a new contract.

yeah he has 1 year rental written all over him.
Originally posted by random49er:
Not for another 3 years.

Crab may have moved to #2 behind Kap now that we see what the WRs corps looks like without him.

Crab cant move anywhere until he proves on the field that he is back. That's whether we're playing like Denver or Jacksonville.

Of course, but NOBODY is going to get extended before Crab has his shot to prove he's back.
Originally posted by 49er4life:
Jim Harbaugh and Trent Baalke...

Sign these two guys to long term contracts and /thread

Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Or maybe I am marathe, Remember Transformers: Robots in Disguise, I could be Paraag Marathe: Webzoner in Disguise

i wouldnt be surprised one bit dude, u know the niners cap inside and out lol
Mike Iupati................come on down! You're the next contestant IF the price is right.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
I think Kaep plays ball with the FO and does a workable contract with the Niners. Just my gut.

I have the same sense. Nothing to back it up, but his demeanor and background suggests to me that he is not the sort to leverage every penny out of the situation. I think that he would be very happy with a longer term (4year) $10million dollar/year deal. Based upon his potential. Because agruably he's not worth that now.

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is how important it is for the Niners to be preparing for all contingencies. They have to get someone on the roster to develop as a fall back QB. And I don't mean a career back-up type. Someone, who in a couple of years, could be a legitimate contender to start for the team. If this guy moves up to #2, bring another developmental guy in. Your #2 then becomes trade bait. If Harbaugh is TRULY a QB guru, you should be able to accomplish that. There is a lot of unpolished talent emerging from the college ranks, who could fit the bill.

What the organization does not need to lapse into is what they practiced before Harbaugh arrived: Never drafting potentially serious competition for their incumbent starting QB for whatever reason; fear of upsetting their starter, etc. QB makes everthing else go on offense and the team is only one unfortunate hit away from being an afterthought if they are not adequately covered at that position.

It also puts the team in a better situation when it comes to negotiating you starters deal. Personally, I feel that it was kinda stupid for the Ravens to shell out $20 million a year for Flacco. I hope the Niners never have to do that.
crabtree

Are you Eugene Parker?

I agree with you that an unblemished (not injury-prone) Crabtree is worth a lot. I don't know what mid-level is, but I'm assuming its up to a maximum of $10 million. But does his injury history not concern you?

There are so many "key" players that the Niners need to retain, not everyone can be accommodated.

The Niners need "anchors" at every level. Right now its:

QB (obviously).
DL - it has been JSmith, and his replacement has to be identified.
CB/DB - I think it's looking like Reid will be one to take on that mantle; currently Roger/Whitner are filling those shoes (although both can/should be upgraded). Niners need to identify a Stud CB.
OL - Staley, Boone.
RB - Gore, KH (hopefully with Lattimore in the pipeline).
TE - VD, McDonald (hopefully)
WR - ??
OLB - Brooks, ??
ILB - one of Bowman or Willis.

Identify All Pros to anchor each area and pay him. These guys have to be of the variety that elevate the play of others playing around them. If you can sign All-Pro's in complementary positions. GREAT. But the team cannot break the bank for those guys.

Right now the silver lining to some of the misfortunes befalling the team is that some potential "anchors" may be signable at cheaper rates than otherwise would be the case:
Kaepernick's game seems to have fallen off.
Crabtree is coming off a major injury.
Aldon Smith has run afoul of the law.
The FO will get these signed at reasonable rates IMO, if they want to.

Also possible less expensive signings for the future:
Culliver has suffered a dibilitating injury.
Eric Wright personal problems.
Originally posted by crabman82:

yeah he has 1 year rental written all over him.

While I understand you and have to agree with you, it would still be pretty disappointing to let him walk. An actually playmaker with the #81... Who knew!?