There are 162 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The next 49er to get a big $$ deal (other than Kap)

Before Crabtree's injury and Aldon's alcohol / drug / legal problems, there seemed to be a priority for our FO in signing players:

We had (going into this season):

1. Kaep - Franchise QB
  2. A. Smith - Once in a generation passrush talent
  3. Iupati - Great LG
  4. A. Davis - Very good OT - signed a long extension
  5. Crabtree - Turned into a #1 WR

Now, Crabtree had a serious injury that may keep him back, or he may have a full recovery (only time will tell). Aldon is in a world of hurt right now, with the league, with the authorities, and just his well-being in general, and Iupati has been very luke-warm this year. He's great at the pull, but advanced metrics have him playing his worst football.

So, who (if anyone), deserves the big $$ extension, other than Kap?

Anquan? Hunter? Brown?
Honestly I think the team may escape having to give Aldon some ridiculously huge contract and get something reasonable which may lead to them being able to keep Iupati and Crabs. Depending on how Crabs comes back from this injury though he could have a ton of leverage on this team considering how bad the WRs have played.
  • IT21
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
Honestly I think the team may escape having to give Aldon some ridiculously huge contract and get something reasonable which may lead to them being able to keep Iupati and Crabs. Depending on how Crabs comes back from this injury though he could have a ton of leverage on this team considering how bad the WRs have played.

If we don't make aldon the highest paid olb in the league there's probably 31 other teams that would. He's that good
E. Reid
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:

If we don't make aldon the highest paid olb in the league there's probably 31 other teams that would. He's that good

I agree in terms of his ability, BUT if the team is smart and they go to him with something reasonable for both sides after this season despite all the s**t he's put the team through, they might be able to get it done. I think this is one of the reasons the team decided to keep paying him while he's in rehab. Not saying he will come cheap or whatever but I can see something getting done that isn't a record breaker which I couldn't see b4 he got in all this trouble.
Originally posted by DONBIS:
E. Reid

Not for another 3 years.

Crab may have moved to #2 behind Kap now that we see what the WRs corps looks like without him.

So far things are looking like we might be able to get a deal on Kap too.
Originally posted by 9erReign:

that I'm hoping doesn't happen, this team needs him to keep improving, ideally he would improve enough for us to win the SB, take a decent deal then ascend into greatness lol.
Is Brooks signed long term?
Well Kaep is not going to command the type of money the Elite Qb's have been getting the last two years.
Originally posted by 9erReign:

that I'm hoping doesn't happen, this team needs him to keep improving, ideally he would improve enough for us to win the SB, take a decent deal then ascend into greatness lol.

What I am hoping is that Crabtree can come back to have a significant impact and we win it all. After the season we sit down Kap and Crab together and ask them do they want to remain together and work with us to make it happen. Then we get something done so that they can make history together. Kap seems to understand that he needs WRs he trusts because he won't thrown them the ball if he doesn't. Kap might need Crabtree more than Crabtree needs Kap although you pay the franchise QB first always
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Oct 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM ]
I would let Crabs play out his contract and see if he can return to form and stay healthy. Kap I would also let him play out his contract and then re-sign. I would sign Iupati and Aldon to extensions.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:

He isn't worth a highest paid Defensive player, he is clay matthews money, but now, he hasn't earned it off the field. He needs to prove he is clean, if not, I wouldn't touch him for a high dollar extension.

Also Hunter isnt eligible till next offseason. But I'm sure the OP knows that.

Boldin I see at $5M a yr for 2 or 3 years. Well Worth it.
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Is Brooks signed long term?

Till 2017.
prolly Anthony Davis.