There are 159 users in the forums

Wide receivers ARE getting open!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Good analysis by all, but I really agree with NC on this one. CK is not a one read QB, just as the previous QB was not, but the offense is a simple run first scheme that does not have WRs coming open in any dependable sequence.

The Walsh/Montana videos posted some time ago demonstrated the WCO with receivers coming open (or not) as the QB scanned the field. If they come open when the QB is looking the wrong direction that just doesn't matter.

One great thing about this problem is that CK has shown he has a decent eye for the field and with experience he will be able to see more with his peripheral vision and find receivers more often as they come open. No one had the vision of Montana, in my view, but it comes with experience and training...hope JH is helping CK with this skill.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I saw on NFL NETWORK PLAYBOOK that they showed 49er wide outs getting open but Kaepernick would turn his back to move and not see them. I believe it was Baldinger who said he needs to slide side to side and keep his eyes down field.

As far as one or two read designed play, I believe this is what Roman and Harbaugh have done that makes it easy for the Quarterback and helps them excel quickly, if read one and two are covered they are encouraged to run and use their legs to make something happen. I do believe that when near the goal line like in the Super bowl it would be better to go thru progressions. Delanie Walker was open and if he makes that throw there would be six trophies on display.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Another poster in the forum made a very good point on this, the receiver needs to be open at the right TIME otherwise it's pointless. The time they are open must match the play call and the QB drop back and read timing otherwise he's onto the next read, and that poster was right.

Doesn't matter if Baldwin is 10 yards open if it's 3 seconds after he's supposed to be, Kap might already have moved on to check other side of the field.

Play design might be an issue in this case....

This^
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Kali49er, great post. I agree with you all the way. Me and my friends have been talking about this. He's been open quite a bit since the rams game. Kap is a lock on one wide out QB. 1st it was Crabs, then Boldin now most logical VD. As much as Vernon is my favorite Niner. We're going to have to start getting the ball to Baldwin especially with VD and Boldin double/triple teamed. Baldwin 6'4 235 pounds fast with a 42 freakin inch vertical and he gets single coverage every snap. Dude Kaps needs to get it together!

I don't get the love for measurables around here. Baldwin gets zero separation. You don't just throw up a lob every time you get single coverage. Baldwin may have a 42" vertical but he has zero ball skills. NONE. You act like its comparable to throwing one up to Julio or Calvin. Those are the type of WR's you throw one up to in single coverage. Those guys you can count on to make a play. Baldwin has shown nothing. He hasn't even shown he can make uncontested catches and you want to start throwing up jump balls to him? Aside from his size and slight ability to get off press coverage he's worthless. As soon as Manningham is healthy, Baldwin is heading straight to the bench.

Zero ball skills? Baldwins greatest asset coming out of college and coming from Kansas City were his ball skills. He's very good at going up and high pointing the ball. He made some spectacular catches in Kansas city and made many at Pitt. He's a former basketball player and does a good job of going up for the 'rebound' and snagging the ball at its highest point. The thing he isn't so great at is his route running and his hands in Kansas City were a little inconsistent, but the dude has ball skills.
Whatever happened to using your RB's as receivers? Gore used to be part of the passing attack and almost never is anymore.
The WRs are having trouble getting separation and there are always gonna be plays where someone gets open but the direction of the play goes away from that open receiver, Ive seen that a few times each game.

However I have noticed that Vance is getting open consistently but it seems like he must be the very last read because he never gets looked at. Once that gets noticed and Kap forms that trust with VM this offense will be very hard to stop because the defense will likely respond by putting their big guys in and VM and VD will just run wild. Really wanna see this kid get worked into the offense more.
Also everyone is making too many excuses for Kap. Talking about how the receivers need to be open at the right time.

There are some pass plays that are quick reads and the quarterback is suppose to get the ball out immediately, but these plays are few and far between. Most plays have progressions that you go through if your first read isn't there.

Kap has not done a good job at all this year of going through his progressions. The great quarterbacks have field vision and go through their reads. You see this from the likes of Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and our own great Montana who was the King of going through his progressions.

Kap has displayed cone vision a lot of times this year. If his first or second read on one side of the field isn't there, he has been panicking and either firing passes at 100 mph into blanketed coverage or running out of the pocket. He needs to work on his pocket awareness, step up in the pocket and go through his reads.

Let's stop putting all the blame on the wide receivers. The wideouts haven't been the best this year, but there have been a lot of times where they have gotten separation and Kap just isn't seeing them or hitting them. Kap needs to do a better job of going through his reads and that's the reality of the situation.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Whatever happened to using your RB's as receivers? Gore used to be part of the passing attack and almost never is anymore.

It's Roman man. The guy does not believe in screens or getting the ball to running backs in space. Lamichael should be being used as such, but he hasn't been.

It seems as if the coaches prefer to keep Gore in for pass protection and would rather send another TE out on a route instead of keeping a TE in and sending Gore out.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Why?
The guy makes a valid point!

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
meanwhile in New England, Austin Collie is making critical catches on 4th down.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
someone with NFL Rewind post the overhead shots of such instances please. k,thx bye.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
no they ain't
Too many analysts and fans can't be wrong........the niners Wrs do not get consistently open or seperation......including boldin. Sure at times, very rarely, Williams and Baldwin get open but it's not only rare, but usually against weaker secondaries. The blame should be 80percent on the Wrs and 20percent if that on kaep. Other great qbs get the ball out quick BUT their second and third reads are usually open or get seperation before the throw it to them, something our Wrs cannot do.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

It's Roman man. The guy does not believe in screens or getting the ball to running backs in space. Lamichael should be being used as such, but he hasn't been.

He LOVES him some 3rd and long draws, though, even though Kap is one of the best in the League on 3rd downs.
Share 49ersWebzone