2) Reid: DAMN! He missed ANOTHER tackle!!. Sorry...couldn't help myself. Reid is everything we had hoped and more. He's in his 6th NFL start and he is already playing mindgames with vet QBs. He's playing MUCH more confidently and aggressively than he did in preseason when that was my concern. He's beginning to really play downhill and take guys down short of the 1st down marker. While I was never a big fan of Goldson, THAT was what he did exceedingly well...play downhill. Reid wasn't doing that early but he's certainly been doing that of late. He did it a couple of times vs the Packers, but with every passing game he seems to be trusting his eyes more and more. Moreover...he has yet to be badly burned in coverage. Not bad for a rook.
3) Gore: Hes all washed up!!! Wow. So glad to be wrong on this one. Looks like we get at least one more year of Frank being Frank. Kendall looked pretty good there too. I just wonder whats gonna happen next year with Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon, and Lattimore.
4) WR: Just not getting it done. Not getting away from defenders. I know there was a report over the weekend that the Niners might be looking at Hakeem Nicks. The report was possibly as a rental for a 3. Ordinarily I'd be against it...but if they get him for a 3 and then lose him after the year to another team on a big contract, guess what sort of compensatory pick the Niners get for losing him. Yup...likely a 3. Hrmmm. I'm not advocating it so much as just sayin' its got me thinking.
5) Vernon: Wow. The dude isn't even healthy and you can see it in his stride. Even then he is just so hard to cover. If they could just get someone else who could get open imagine how scary this offense could be.
6) Pass Rush: Still a bit of a concern for me. Lemonier made a great play on that sack, but they were too often giving Carson way too much time back there. Lemonier is developing and may be a really good one in the future...but they need Aldon back. If they get him they will be that much better with Lemonier getting that extra experience.
7) Still surviving: Another game, another week closer to getting our horses back, and still only 1 game back from the Seahawks. Another bonus is that the Saints lost. That means the 49ers are 1 back of the lead in the entire NFC and still have games against both of the teams ahead of them. IE, their fate is effectively in their hands. After starting 1-2, things are lookin' pretty good right now. It hasn't always been pretty, but they are winning ugly games while they get themselves right.
8) Special Teams: Lookin like the ST of 2011. The Niners made a real effort this year to get a number of players on the roster specifically for Special Teams. Its paying off.
9) Dorsey: Ouch. Hope it isn't serious. He's played well after WIlliams went down...gonna suck if we have to spend alot of time playing our THIRD NT. TJE played OK considering....but Dorsey has been playing really well...even getting pressure at times.
10) Reinforcements: OK...as I said above, the Niners survived another week. This is a big one tho because we just got past week 6. Carradine. Dial. Manningham. Wright. All these guys are now ELIGIBLE to return. Whether they do now is a different question. If they can just get through Tennessee and Jacksonville in London...wow...they'd be 6-2 and going into a bye and possibly get ALL of these guys back....possibly even Aldon. Hell...even 5-3 looks pretty good when you look back at where we were at 1-2. If we CAN do that and get through the bye....then we get all THOSE guys back and are only a few weeks away from a possible Crabtree return. Crab, Boldin, Manningham, Vernon, and McDonald. I can only dream. Crab may not be the exact same guy early on, but the earlier he comes back the more time he'll have to get himself ready for the postseason.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM ]